IUD advice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-26-2006, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had mine removed after one month. I hadn't really thought it through, but once I realized how it worked, it confirmed my suspicions.

First, to my surprise, and IUD doesn't prevent pregnancy by scraping eggs that may have implanted inthe uterine lining. I was soooo surprised by this, since I read so much about women's health. The IUD works by making the cervical mucous impenetrable by sperm.

I got a really bad sinus infection, my first sickness in over two years, and I am convinces it is related. I googled it, and sure enough, other women with IUDs complaon of chronic sinus infections or strep throat.

I think it affects beyond the cervical mucous in the body.

I know none of you would have considered an IUD, based on a recent thread, and guess what, those insitincs were right!

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#2 of 7 Old 06-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Hmm, I am planning on getting an IUD. Any idea how common sinus infections are with one? Did you have the Mirena or the Paraguard?
#3 of 7 Old 06-26-2006, 07:53 PM

I have the Mirena, but I haven't experienced any more sinus problems than normal for me this time of year. I have been bleeding pretty much non-stop since it was placed though. I am considering having it removed. I'm just not happy with it, but I don't feel like we really have any other good options.
#4 of 7 Old 06-26-2006, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

I had the copper, non-hormonal version.

I know some women have no reactions at all. So you could try it, see if you notice any weird changes in your body/health. I read the night I had it removed that breastfeeding women were 10 times as likely to suffer from uterine rupture from their IUDs than non breastfeeding women. I am sure than number is still small though.

I think it weakened my immune system, made me crampy, bleed A LOT, and -TMI- made my cervial fluid a new color. :

I decided to stick with condoms/family planning for now.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#5 of 7 Old 06-27-2006, 01:39 AM

I had a mirena for 2 plus years and LOVED it. It is a wonderful thing IMO and I will get one again when I start cycling. I had horrific sinus issues and have even had surgery for them. I had NO probs with the mirena and mucous. None. Depo sucks, BCP suck...Mirena was awesome. The progestin is a really low dose.

The 1 shot of depo that I ever got dried my eyes and vagina up for 3 months.
#6 of 7 Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasbaby7
I had the copper, non-hormonal version.

I know some women have no reactions at all. So you could try it, see if you notice any weird changes in your body/health. I read the night I had it removed that breastfeeding women were 10 times as likely to suffer from uterine rupture from their IUDs than non breastfeeding women. I am sure than number is still small though.

I think it weakened my immune system, made me crampy, bleed A LOT, and -TMI- made my cervial fluid a new color. :

I decided to stick with condoms/family planning for now.
I got one after my son Jude. The exact same kind you had. AND had the same problems. Only I left mine in for a longer time. I became soooo sick. Every 10 days, I'd get some new virus. Finally, took the thing out & didn't get sick again!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#7 of 7 Old 06-27-2006, 12:57 PM

im so glad you guys posted this. i had NO idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page