He wants milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-27-2006, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this because he asked for it! Last night DH was holding Titus and goes "Honey! He's telling you he wants milk. Do it again, tell Mommy" and I look over and there's Titus, all eager-eyed with his hand outstretched making the Milk sign! I am SO proud of him!

I have been signing for him since about 1 month but only about half-heartedly. A gal at church said her now 10 mo signed back at about 6 months but she had older siblings helping her out. That was about a month ago so I doubled my efforts and tried to be really consistant with it and WOO-HOO!! It's paying off. Today, a couple of times while he's nursing, he'll have his top hand up telling me "milk".
#2 of 9 Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 PM

OMG that's so cool! I haven't even really started signing to baby Winter. Maybe it's time to start.
#3 of 9 Old 06-27-2006, 07:04 PM

omg fantastic!!! i haven't signed much at all with ava yet, even though i promised myself i would. a friend of mine is pretty fluent in ASL and has signed from day 1 with her son and he knows BAJILLIONS!! it's really amazing. i've only ever met them in person once, but i know from what she says that he knows SO many. and i think it made her bond with her son even stronger...not that it was ever not strong, i just mean that their ability to communicate with each other from VERY early on really meant a lot to both of them, i think.

i gotta do more!!!! "milk" was rowan's first sign too...then came "more". :
#4 of 9 Old 06-27-2006, 08:35 PM

That is just precious!!! How wonderful!
#5 of 9 Old 06-27-2006, 09:19 PM

it is cute when they sign..ds2 signed for his first three years, almost exclusively. he had a few development issues due to his heart defect and syndrome.
my only word of caution (sorry to be a downer) is that some ppl use ASL without using the spoken language with it and i have read (and seen) that lead to some language delays. thats my only word of caution.

milk is a good one thought!!! the boy knows what he wants!
#6 of 9 Old 06-28-2006, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm definately using the verbal part too. I sit down and tell him how good milk is and that I made this milk just for him.

When dinner was winding down, Titus was still in his high chair (participating how he can in the family affair) and DH got up and sat in my glider. Titus looks at DH and signs milk which left me thinking maybe he didn't know what he was doing but DH caught it and says "That's right, this is the milk chair" and Titus was all happy. Then he looked to me for actual milk
#7 of 9 Old 06-28-2006, 09:30 AM

thats too cute!
#8 of 9 Old 06-28-2006, 09:46 AM

That is SO cool! I have been sorta kinda thinking about getting a signing book. Now I really want to! I bet that's so cute to see him signing. Way to go mama! And way to go Titus.!

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#9 of 9 Old 06-28-2006, 05:16 PM

wow! that's great! There really is alot going on in their little heads, isn't there? I've been doing the milk sign with my ds for a couple of months, now. I'll ask him if he wants to nurse and do the sign. if he doesn't he turns away from me, and if he does, he opens his mouth. it's cute. i can't wait until he actually signs to me to ask for it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page