Jan. 2006 mamas??? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2005, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, this is really weird! My mom just called me and asked me if i was pregnant. (I wasn't going to tell them until next weekend when we were planning on going home to visit- we live in Oklahoma, everyone else lives in Kansas.) I had called my sister to tell her since she is due Nov. 20th, and I thought it was so cool that she was only 4 or 5 weeks ahead of me. I told her not to tell anyone, and she didn't, but my mom said she'd been having dreams about it for a couple weeks. I just found out a couple days ago.

So I admitted that I was, and of course she was excited. Our family is growing pretty fast! My older sister had a baby last summer. I have an almost 5 year old daughter, and one of my younger sisters is due in nov. and now i'm due in jan. My youngest sister feels left out, but seeing how she's only in high school, it'll be awhile before she has kids!

I had to tell her to keep it quiet, since Chad hasn't told his family, he wants to wait to we're at home. Now my mom really wants me to move back home. We were thinking about it after this school year was over, but now we don't know what to do. It really depends if I get a teaching job there for the insurance.

-Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2005, 10:56 PM

Old 04-28-2005, 11:26 PM

There is probably not much you can do to "stay pregnant" that you aren't already doing. No alcohol, drugs, rough contact sports, and a decent diet. For myself I wouldn't expect too much from doctors regarding diet, though, since obstetric training doesn't dwell much on how to guide women to eat healthily (obviously, since they don't intend to see you until it's the most likely period to be too nauseous to eat properly anyhow!). I'd look for a good book on the subject. "What to Eat When You're Expecting" is supposed to be pretty good. There is probably some good info online. Bradley has good suggestions for eating, except I think they focus a little too heavily on the importance of protein. Protein IS important, but you don't have to eat a zillion grams per day to have a healthy pregnancy.

As to "what to do now" - I don't know for sure yet if I'm even pregnant, but I did buy a pregnancy journal today. I never got around to filling out the one I had with my DD, so I'm going to try to do so this time around!

FWIW, I think "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is a very mediocre pregnancy/birth book. IMHO there are some wonderful, amazing, incredible books out there, so don't waste your money on that one!

Carol
Old 04-29-2005, 09:59 AM

Carol,
What are some better ones? I was thumbing through a copy of what to expect that was giving to me with my first daughter thinking I wish there was a better book i don't really like this one.

Courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:17 AM
SMR

I have like 30 prego books! (actually just like 5) I don't think any of them are fantastic.. esp. from a natural point of view. They are all okay though.
Some people were talking about a weekly pregnancy book that goes week by week instead of month by month. I got a calendar online that you can put in your dates and it shows what's happening daily. Pretty cool!!
http://www.pregnancy.org/pregnancycalendar

Has anyone tried hypnobirthing before? I read about it in Time Magazine (of all places!) last year, and it seems like a wonderful thing! I just wonder how hard it is and if I am capable of doing it well!?

I wish I was in the second trimester already... this worrying stuff is crappy!! hehee

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
Old 04-29-2005, 10:48 AM

so I momentarily forgot I was pregnant and Got out of my car to ask some poeple if they needed help "pushing there car" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily they said no ansd as I sat back into my car realized what i just did.

sorta like the time i stopped on the interstae only to realize i couldn't help the guy as I had a toddler in the car , no cellphone, and no knowledge of cars. Way to go me. I quickly pulled away from that particular situation without ever having got out of my car. :sheepish

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:53 AM

Old 04-29-2005, 12:02 PM

Just wanted to say congratulations to all the Jan mamas out there!! I recognize some of you from the ONE THREAD. That's really exciting for all of you, have a happy and healthy nine months!

Ashley, Jesus loving mama to Jaden (8) Trace (6) and Liam (3) and fost/adopt twins Talia and Oliva (1).  Happily married for a decade! 

Old 04-29-2005, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

I am looking for Hypnobirthing classes in myy area. I may have to go to LA to do it, though . I have already told my doula that she will be expected to attend with my husband, since they will both be my birth partners. She seems pretty excited about it. It DOES give her hypnobirth experience that she can tell other clients about
Old 04-29-2005, 02:41 PM

I just tested !!! I mc in Feb so please keep the sticky thoughts coming! Wow. Any creative ideas on how to tell your dh? This will be #4 and our last.
Kathy

momma to 4!
Old 04-29-2005, 03:42 PM

Hi Kathy, congratulations! I told DH on Monday (when I tested) by handing him a glass of wine when he came home from work. On the glass I wrote, "Daddy-to-be!" when he saw that he thought it was just in reference to us trying. He did a double take and said, "Are you???" It still hasn't sunken in!

I got the Mothering.com book "Having a Baby Naturally" yesterday (ordered from Powells.com, it was on sale for $8!!! So far, I think it is really what I need. It goes by trimester, but explains things like eating habits, excercize, hazards, etc. in great detail. My cousin said this is one of her favorites, and so far I like it a lot.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:58 PM

WELCOME KATHY!!! Lots of sticky vibes to you

I was looking into hypnobirthing, but it kind of freaked me out a bit. I just read an article on a woman who did it and said she could hear what was going on, but it was like she wasn't really going through it. Kind of like a dream. I'm not sure I like that thought too much.
I used some birthing techniques with my boys....some yoga techniques and some envisioning. It worked really well. The best thing both time was the setting. I had such a calm environment. Warm birthing tub, favorite music, candles(with DS#1)and family and friends stopping in. It really helped me cope with the pain and get through the contractions.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Kathy!
I wasn't too creative, I just handed him the stick. That totally freaked him out . my friend suggested making dinner with baby back ribs (Albertson's sells these already cooked ) baby carrots, basically everything "baby."

We will be telling DH's parents through postcards: one will be me barefoot and in our kitchen; another I will removing a bun from the oven . We are still thinking of some more.

Willowrose-- I am on the fence about hypnobirthing. I want to do it because I want to be able to concentrate on the birth without dwelling on the pain. I have a high pain threshold and I have used deep breathing and focusing during dental procedures to block out the pain and fear.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:51 PM

Can I join the party, too?

Just took a HPT and got 2 lines...Haven't told DH yet, since I want to share the news in person. He almost passed out when I told him about our first pregnancy, and I can't wait to see how he'll react this time.

I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts here yet, since I'm also playing with my 2 1/2 yr old DD right now, but wanted to add one of my favorite books to the list going:

Birthing From Within by Pam England (and someone else, I think - I have pregnancy brain already!). Here's a link to the site about the book and classes: http://www.birthingfromwithin.com/

DH & I took a class based on this book to prepare for DD's birth at a free-standing birthing center staffed by a team of midwives. The philosophy and preparation exercises really worked for us, and my DD's birth was an incredible experience, really the ohysical, emotional & spiritual highpoint of my life to date. That sounds so hokey, but it's true! While we were waiting for the placenta to deliver, I kept saying "I want to do that again RIGHT NOW!", which got me a lecture on birth control from my midwife :LOL

I haven't looked up my due date online yet, but I think it's around Jan 5th. I know exactly when I ovulated, so I'll figure it out from that. I did that for DD's due date and was exactly right (well, almost - I went into labor on the date I calculated, but she was born the next day). My midwives calculated a date almost a week later, and didn't want to believe me...

Must run to catch up with toddler - I'm happy to have found y'all!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:08 PM

hi Kathy sticky vibes to you

hi Rebecca welcome to the gang...

Just wanted to let you all know i had a dream night before last annd it was a lsit of boys names and all but one were crossed off, but since i didn't think about it when i woke up, but just jumped out of bed I can't remember the name. my mom siad "good job ignoring the signs"

it will be interesting to see if i have a boy.

although i don't know dh had a dream we had twin boys before We even knew we were pregnant with DD (by three days) and well it's dd so ya' know..

has anyone else had any neat dreams?

Thanks for all the book ideas.

oh and Ozzeymom I love your post card idea. I told DH we should tell his dad by sending a t-shirt that says

"I love my grandkids" and has a pic of Jewely and a pic of the positive stick. Dh's being a fuddy duddy and says we will just call them. he can be so plain sometimes. (although i couldn'tr wait and told my entire family over the phone)

Courtney

Old 04-29-2005, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats and Welcome Rebecca. Tell us how you told DH and how he reacted .

I told my DH right after I found out... during one of his classes (he is a high school teacher)! I showed him the stick and he just kinda freaked and didn't believe me. The line was REALLY faint and he can't see pink, so he didn't think I saw a line .

Anyway, I am glad you had such a great birthing experience the first time.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:50 PM

The weekend is here!!!!

I'm so tired, this waking up at 5:30 is going to kill me! :LOL Luckily I only have 1 month left of school, and then I'm home for the summer with my daughter. I think I'm looking forward to summer break more than the kids are!

When school starts in August I'm going to really have to find more time to sit down. I had an interview today with the school district that I live in. I really don't want to do the 30 minute commute anymore into Tulsa. Then I'll get to sleep in at least another hour, if not longer because this other school district starts school an hour later. The school I work in now starts at 7:40am, in the winter time it's still dark! One nice things is that we get out at 2:25pm.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well!
Old 04-29-2005, 09:46 PM

Some of my fave pregnancy/birth books are:

Birthing From Within by Pam England and Rob Horowitz (I just started teaching Birthing From Within-style classes - the book and/or classes are very unique and a lot of fun)

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin

The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Romm

The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger

Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin

Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper

Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer

A Good Birth, A Safe Birth by Roberta Scaer and Diana Korte

I bought but haven't yet read Having a Baby, Naturally by Peggy O'Mara. I also haven't read Dr. Sears' The Pregnancy Book. I am sure both are quite good.

Can you tell I'm a birth book junkie?

Carol
Old 04-29-2005, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I have to throw in my fav book, Natural Childbirth the Bradley way. I used it for #2 and 3 and swear by it. It is the only book I have ever read that truly explained the birth process. With my last birth I was able to truly have a pain free birth. Honest. I followed his relaxation tech with dh and it was amazing. I can't wait to use them again. We have moved from NC to GA so I need to now find a midwife!

Congrats to all the Jan "06 mamas!

momma to 4!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:36 PM

Bummer, I started bleeding with way more cramps than usual 2-3 days before my period would have been due, so it seems that implantation didn't "stick" this month. You ladies are so cool, I am sorry I won't be able to hang around but look forward to meeting a new month of mamas soon. I'll think of you in January, though! Best wishes!

Carol
Old 04-30-2005, 06:22 PM

Carol- I'm so sorry. Best of luck to you!

Well, I took another pregnancy test today, just because I don't "feel" pregnant. It was a different brand, and it went straight to positive right away. I can't wait to actually go to the dr., that will put me so much more at ease.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:14 PM

Carol, I am so sorry for you...you will be in my thoughts. Lots of extra sticky vibes for next month.

Super tired today. I actually had to take a nap while DH took the boys outside. That is VERY rare for me as I never get tired!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:16 PM

Thanks Willowrose and houchen2b! Take care.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:10 PM

Carol - I'm so sorry! Take good care of yourself and know that I'll be sending you good thoughts.

I'm also so, so tired. I started to fall asleep while DD was eating lunch - I was nodding off while she sat in my lap, giggling at my rolling head.

I told DH yesterday by handing him the pregancy test stick in an envelope as a present. He said "I knew it!", and was very happy and excited. I was planning on greeting him with a dinner tray with bowls of ice cream and pickles, but didn't get organized enough in time. We're still adjusting to this reality - In a strange way, it seems less real this time than it did when I got pregnant with DD. I'm so busy taking care of her, I don't have the time to dwell on my excitement that I did before. I've heard that second pregnancies and babies are very different in every way, and I'm starting to get a feel for that!

Hope everyone else is well & happy.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:10 PM

Carol,
So sorry ...I know it hurts. I mc in Feb and am hoping this one sticks. I feel like it will. I hve had 3 mc and each one hurts. I will keep my fingers crossed for you for your next cycle. Hope you are healing.
Kathy

momma to 4!
Old 05-01-2005, 01:26 AM

Sorry, Carol. Hope you're doing okay..

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)
Old 05-01-2005, 01:51 AM

Took ONE whole month! Didnt think it would be quite that quick! :

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 05-01-2005, 01:54 AM

carol i am so sorry to hear that, i know how hard it can be.

as for symptoms, does anyone lese have to poo constantly? :

Courtney

I'm going to go poo now (TMI, Sorry)

Old 05-01-2005, 09:15 AM

Ok- we told my parents last night (because I can't keep a secret ). We wrapped up a pink baby sleeper and told my Dad it was his b-day present, but not to open it in front of the kids. He opened it and looked, you could see his brain spinning tryiing to put it together . He got it and they were very happy. They want a girl! They really did seem excited for us which is not the reaction I expected. So that was fun! We won't tell IL until we see them at the beach in June. I love telling people! Silly.

momma to 4!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 AM

Well, I'm not sure if I'll be staying on this thread, either. Last night I started bleeding, I thought it was just spotting (still freaked me out) but awoke to very heavy dark bleeding. I'm not sure what to do now. Do I go to the ER and have them do tests? I haven't even had a blood test yet. Can they do an ultrasound at 5 weeks to see if the beby is ok? I've heard that some people have blood clots that do this early on in their pregnancy and the baby is fine.

Please, all sticky vibes will be appreciated!

User Tag List