Anyone currently spotting or spotted in early days of PG? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 05-03-2005, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just looking for commraderie from others who may be spotting or may have spotted earlier. I'm only at day 29 of my cycle. Found out I was pg at 12 DPO via peestick and am now 14 DPO. Have been having light spotting (mostly brownish, but some pinkish yesterday) since 12 DPO. Anyone else to keep me company with the spotting? Of course I'm really really hoping it is "normal" spotting and that nothing's wrong.
Thanks,
Sara, 38
DD #1 is 21 months, still nursing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 05-03-2005, 06:01 PM

Spotting can mean implantation. I never got implantation spotting, but my friend did, and she freaked, because she was spotting and had "miscarriage symptoms." Unfortunately, symptoms are the same for being pregnant as for miscarrying. As long as the bleeding is just spotting, it isn't anything to worry about .
#3 of 37 Old 05-03-2005, 06:35 PM

I have heard that brown means old blood and is nothing to worry about. I had pink "staining" with my last pg which went to full term.

Red blood is a concern so I have heard. It wounds like everything you mentioned is ok. Its hard not to worry though 's and lots of sticky vibes to you!
#4 of 37 Old 05-03-2005, 06:35 PM

I had some spotting on Sunday and am 6 weeks pg. today. I freaked out but it stopped immediately and I am def. still pregnant.
#5 of 37 Old 05-03-2005, 07:23 PM

On the day my period was supposed to start it started like normal, and I really didn't think anything of it, just thought it was my monthly time. Then it went real light right away, and the whole thing lasted about an hour or two. I've heard that some people have light periods at first. I have taken 2 pregnancy tests since then, and they both came back positive. I took them about a week and 2 weeks after that.

I'm guessing that was implantation spotting, or the "light period" that some people experience.
#6 of 37 Old 05-03-2005, 09:26 PM

Last night I had some pink staining... it only lasted for one TP wipe and then was gone. May be TMI but it was right after I had strained for a poo...

This has happened with both girls and usually last about 6 weeks for both of them!!!!

As long as it's just teeny spotting and no cramps you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Tammy
#7 of 37 Old 05-03-2005, 09:34 PM

I had exactly what you describe about 5 days ago when I was 12 DPO -- it lasted only about half a day. I thought for sure my period had started early but now I know better! I googled "implantation bleeding" two nights ago and realized that I must be pregnant.
Beth
#8 of 37 Old 05-04-2005, 11:40 AM

Yes, and it's really been scary for me. I had cramps and some bleeding last night, and I think I'm going to have to cut RRL tea out until 2nd trimester. It may be "toning" my uterus a little too much.

I got some false unicorn/lobelia capsules from my MW and the cramping stopped.

Of course, I took another PT this morning and it is still positive....much darker than before too. I can only guess that this means my HCG levels are increasing.

It's always scary to be bleeding when you aren't supposed to, even if it is normal. I know of some women who had periods for several months into their pregnancies and didn't find out until they were 4-5 months along.

Now THAT would be freaky!

ETA: BTW I'm almost 8 weeks now.
#9 of 37 Old 05-04-2005, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

My spotting has continued for 3 1/2 days so far. I would still characterize it as light. There is no bright red blood. Mostly brownish in the cm on the tp but some light brown in the pantiliner. Only one time was it pink. So I guess I won't worry too much yet. I have beta HCG #2 today, so that should help provide some confort if the numbers are doubling nicely.

I wouldn't say that I've had much cramping but I have had some lower back ache and some slight tummy bloaty-crampy feelings that feel a lot like AF. But it is not extreme pain or anything close to that.

Sara
#10 of 37 Old 05-04-2005, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Jennifer, what makes you think the RRL tea is toning uterus too much? Have you heard of it potentially causing spotting? Did you MW mention anything about that? Just curious as I'm taking quite a bit of RRL, mostly capsules but some tea.
Thanks,
Sara
#11 of 37 Old 05-04-2005, 03:54 PM

No, it's just a feeling since the cramping started the day I started drinking the tea. I have done some reading that some people can't tolerate it and I may just be one of those.
#12 of 37 Old 05-05-2005, 10:22 PM

I started spotting on the day I expected my period. I woke up that morning, went to the bathroom saw blood and thought "oh well, maybe next month!". I put on a pad, took some ibuprofen (I usually get cramps on the first day) and went to work. But all day long I just had very light spotting. Like really really light. It was light brown. Then the next day it continued very light and I started to get my hopes up again, but the pregnancy test was negative, or at least, my husband couldn't see anything... I thought maybe I could see something... but still no period, so that was still a good sign. Anyway, it only lasted two days and it was very light and then when I took a pregnancy test again a few days later my husband could see the line too! So, I'm assuming it was implantation bleeding.
#13 of 37 Old 05-07-2005, 12:28 PM

I think I had implantation bleeding too. I started spotting on day 29, and spotted a light brown color for that day and the next. That was last Saturday. Was going to the doc on Monday, and had them test..it was negative...but no bleeding, and was feeling tired and a little nauseous...So I took a preg test on May 5th (thurs) and it was positive!
Of course now, I am nervous because I don't have strong symptoms..and had a m/c 2 months ago, and one before my ds..so two m/c...I'm hoping for the best...but I keep going to bathroom and checking to see if there is blood on my underwear. I'm a little paranoid...My last period was on Apr 2, but I think I ovulated late...I haven't yet calculated by due date, or figured out how far along I am because I know I am very early...
#14 of 37 Old 05-08-2005, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I don't know how concerned to be about this spotting. It is still super light flow-wise and brown in color, it is a tinge on the tissue type of flow, if you know what I mean. Anyway, it has continued for 7 days. None of the rest of you seem to be experiencing it for this long. Hopefully others will chime in over time. I was relieved to have my last set of beta HCG numbers double nicely from 193 to 538 over 48 hours. That was reassuring since the first 48 hours they went from 114 to 193, not double.

I guess I just have to reassure myself knowing there are women who have delivered healthy babies who have had quite a bit of spotting and even bleeding along the way.
#15 of 37 Old 05-08-2005, 04:54 AM

I'm still spotting... quite a lot of pinkish red but only on the tp (never makes it to the panties) I only spot AFTER i poo... it's very strange.

I spotting for 6 weeks like I mentioned before and I might be headed that way with this bean as well... oh fun.
#16 of 37 Old 05-09-2005, 04:00 PM

I have been spotting for about a week now. Mostly a brown-ish color, but at times it seems like quite a bit. So I called my dr. today, just to ask her about it since my 1st appt wasn't until June 2nd. They asked me to come in today as soon as I get off of work. They're going to do some tests now, and see what's going on. I have to go there around 3:15, I'm getting really nervous that something is wrong.
#17 of 37 Old 05-09-2005, 04:34 PM

I will be praying that it is just to "be safe." Hope it goes well!
#18 of 37 Old 05-09-2005, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Tammy and Jennifer,
Sure hope the spotting stops. Jennifer, I hope the doc is able to provide some comfort or explaination. Although I know a lot of times there is no explaination for spotting. I'm still spotting and I guess am about 9 days into the spotting now. It is very, very light but I'm still noticing it and seeing evidence on TP and pantiliner. Sometimes I wonder if it could have anything to do with nursing. I mean if nursing causes light contractions and there was implantation bleeding perhaps it kind of trickles out over time. I just don't know. I have an early ultrasound May 16, hopefully that will provide some reassurance.
May we all continue healthfully to term with these pregnancies!
Sara
#19 of 37 Old 05-09-2005, 08:53 PM

Well, i just got done at the dr. office. They did an exam, and she said that the cervix looks ok, and the spotting looks as if it's coming to an end. She checked my uterus, and says it feels normal. They took a blood test, 4 vials!, to test my HCG levels, and some other things that could cause spotting. Not quite sure what she called it. She said it was to early to do an ultrasound, since I'm only 6 weeks. I'll go back on Wednesday to do more blood work, and see if my HCG levels are going up or down.

She said that she thinks everything will be ok.
#20 of 37 Old 05-11-2005, 11:12 AM

with my DD I spotted the entire 1st trimester, then it just stopped suddenly. I was on progesterone supplements as a precaution, but I think I just had an irritable cervix from all the hormone changes.

Esp if the blood is brown I wouldn't worry. But even red blood can be totally normal and okay.

#21 of 37 Old 05-12-2005, 07:09 PM

I am spotting today. It is light and brown. I'm thinking it is nothing to worry about. My husband's pregnancy book ("pickles and ice cream") says that spotting can be due to the placenta implanting, which is wierd because none of my pregnancy books say that. One of my books ("pregnancy, childbirth and the newborn") does say that at the end of the first month of fetal development the projections that had formed two weeks earlier extend into the uterine lining becoming a primitive placenta. Which would be about right since I am almost 6 weeks. I wonder if that's what it is?
#22 of 37 Old 05-13-2005, 12:25 PM

I am wishing you all the luck, but you may want to get your hcg levels checked. i had implantation bleeding, but that occurs about 7-8 days after conception, and not 6 weeks later. If it was just a spot of blood, then no worries - that could just be your cervix being irritated, or the wall being irritated. And it also could just be nothing. But I speak from experience, having had 2 m/c's. Good luck!
#23 of 37 Old 05-14-2005, 08:44 AM

Mama2Tristan, Thanks for your thoughts. I did have implantation spotting (I think) for two days starting on the day I expected my period. This spotting was just like that. Same color, same amount. It really wasn't much at all and now it has stopped. I took a pregnancy test on Thursday -- the first day of the spotting -- and got our darkest line yet. And I've been taking my temperature since I thought I might be pregnant (I wasn't actually charting this cycle, but I did for several months before that and know my pre and post ovulation temps) and it has still been high. So I think it is OK. If I were going to miscarry there is nothing I can do to prevent it anyway, right?
#24 of 37 Old 05-14-2005, 08:50 AM

that's the same attitude i've been trying to have..if there's an inevitable m/c, there's really nothing you can do about it...so i actually have not yet gone to see my midwife for a 1st appt because they will want to check the hcg levels, and i don't really see the point, other than for comfort measures...but if i don't get the results i want, it will just freak me out even more....glad to hear that your spotting went away...sounds like nothing more than just a spot
#25 of 37 Old 05-14-2005, 03:20 PM

Well, because of my HCG levels, my OBGYN gave me a huge scare!!! I was having some spotting, so they wanted me do come in and do blood work and other tests. I did that on Monday, and she said everything seemed fine, but my progestrone levels were low, so they put me on pills for that. Then on Wed I did more blood work. Then she called me at work Thurs morning to tell me that my HCG levels only went from 9000 to 13000 and they are supposed to double. So she basically tells me that she thinks I have a blited ovum, and wanted me to come into a sonogram right away so they could check. I'm a teacher, so I was upset about that, and I didn't want the kids to see me that way. (I also got a call at the same time that my youngest sister was in a car wreck, so I was having a rough morning.)

So I leave work, thinking that there isn't even a baby in there, and went and did the sonogram. I'm only about 6 weeks or so, so they had to do an internal sonogram. And, lo and behold, there was the baby and a heartbeat! The heartbeat was only 106 but she said since I was so early, not to be to concerned about it.

My fiance was so mad! She had me all worried, and there wasn't really anything to be worried about. I guess she had her reasons to believe that something was wrong, but she could have worded it differently!
#26 of 37 Old 05-16-2005, 09:51 PM

I was spotting again this morning. And then I had cramps so I was really freaking out and I was at work and couldn't find any private place to call my midwife, so I called dh and asked him to call for me (it's so much easier to whisper and talk in code with hubbie than the midwife ). She had me go to the lab to get blood drawn to test hcg and progesterone levels. I'll be going back wednesday for the second test. So now I just have to wait and see. The spotting was really light this morning, it was the cramping that upset me. But the midwife said its normal to have some cramping since my uterus is growing for the first time. Anyway, I guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed for now. :
#27 of 37 Old 05-17-2005, 10:01 AM

Emily, Are they period-like cramps? just wondering, I have no advice for you. My uterus has been "stretching"-- it doesn't feel like period cramps, just a weird pulling sensation.

Also, yesterday, I *think* I found blood on my TP? I have been congested lately, so maybe that was it, or it could have been irritation from coughing so much, but it worried me, just like everything else . I am so sick of being afraid I will miscarry. I told DH that I don't know if I want another baby after this one is born, because this one has been driving me nuts with worry. i am not usually a worrier, either. I am just afraid that my body is not competent enough to carry this baby through. Erk!
#28 of 37 Old 05-17-2005, 11:30 AM

I wish you both the best of luck. Period like cramps are normal I think. I had them when I was pregnant with ds. You want to be careful once they are really bad and bad in your lower back too. But when you feel the "stretching" that is normal. And a spot of blood is normal too, especially with nasty coughs, etc. Or even after sxx because your cervix or lining may get irritated. It's when it's consistent (not stopping) that you should go see the ob or midwife. Just remember too that our bodies are sooo very capable of carrying - that's what we are meant to do...
#29 of 37 Old 05-17-2005, 06:57 PM

Thanks M2T! I just need to keep reminding myself that I CAN do this! How are you doing?
#30 of 37 Old 05-17-2005, 08:03 PM

It was period-like cramps, just like on the first day of my period. But my spotting only lasted a couple hours yesterday and we did gio the night before so that may explain that.. I think my spotting had actually stopped when the cramps started but I didn't realize that at the time. So anyway, no spotting or cramps today so I am no longer freaking out. But I'm glad I'm getting the blood tests done anyway because I think it will make me feel better (unless its bad news!).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page