Who plans on co-sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-03-2005, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was reading the nursing thread and see that a lot of us co-sleep.
What will your sleeping arrangements be when you have your baby?

We have 2 queen size beds pushed together which makes one very large family bed. We all co-sleep and the new little one will join us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 05-03-2005, 05:33 PM

We are co-sleeping with our 12 month old. Dh really wants her in her crib by the time the new one comes. I'm slowly warming him up to the idea of keeping both of them in our bed. He was reluctant about co-sleeping at all and now he loves it. He just needs to realize that 2 babies is twice the co-sleeping fun! :LOL
#3 of 28 Old 05-03-2005, 05:37 PM

My 27 mo. old still sleeps with me and I plan on keeping him with us after the baby is born. We have a full-sized mattress now but i really want to get a king-sized. Or I was considering getting him a toddler mattress and putting it next to our mattress (which is on the floor).
#4 of 28 Old 05-03-2005, 06:31 PM
SMR

I don't know that much about co-sleeping.. but I'm thinking our babe will sleep with us (probably next to us in a bassinette - we roll around a lot and already have two cats 'co-sleeping' with us! heehee) at first and then after they aren't waking up to breastfeed many times in the night, will probably be moved to the nursery.

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#5 of 28 Old 05-03-2005, 07:49 PM

My DH totally surprised me by changing overnight from a "put baby in the crib in the other room" to co-sleeper! He spent time on MDC boards and decided it was a better idea to co-sleep! Crazy!

I am mainly in favor of co-sleeping because I am lazy and don't want to be getting up to feed the baby .

Shannon-- Our cats aren't allowed in our room anymore. Ever since I got pregnant our FIXED male cat has been spraying on MY SIDE of the bed grrr!!! in fact, yesterday, he peed on ME while I was napping! i think he smells my hormones, and doesn't like them
#6 of 28 Old 05-03-2005, 08:32 PM

definitely here! 19 mo dd is still mostly w/us and I'm considering looking into king sizes...We never planned to be co-sleepers-- didn't even really know anything about it until the time came and then it was the best, most natural decision we ever made . . . and then came the opinions of others. Watch out, new mamas . . . We learned the hard way to keep our mouths shut about sleeping in certain company -- including the in-laws and the ped...how sad. But now we revel in sleeping with Sylv and when I go to put her in her sidecarred toddler bed, Dh often stops me and begs, "let her be -- she's so sweet!"
Beth
#7 of 28 Old 05-03-2005, 08:47 PM

I know I will end up sleeping with the youngest two...as for DH and the oldest...well I guess we'll figure that out when the time comes.
#8 of 28 Old 05-03-2005, 11:55 PM

#9 of 28 Old 05-04-2005, 01:37 AM

Oh yes! DD's been sleeping with us since the night she was born, and there's plenty of room for another baby in our king-size bed. We just have to work out the logistics...DD sleeps between us, but I think I may move her to the other side of me, or the other side of DH, if she night-weans. I'd love to get to an arrangement that has DH & myself actually next to each other at night. We just loved having DD between us so much to hear her happy newborn sighs, we couldn't imagine putting her anywhere else.
#10 of 28 Old 05-04-2005, 03:04 AM

I definitely plan on co-sleeping for at least the first year with the new baby (whenever we have one). I want to side car a crib though - simply because we have a queen and Dan needs more room.
#11 of 28 Old 05-04-2005, 09:40 AM
SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyemm
My DH totally surprised me by changing overnight from a "put baby in the crib in the other room" to co-sleeper! He spent time on MDC boards and decided it was a better idea to co-sleep! Crazy!

I am mainly in favor of co-sleeping because I am lazy and don't want to be getting up to feed the baby .

Shannon-- Our cats aren't allowed in our room anymore. Ever since I got pregnant our FIXED male cat has been spraying on MY SIDE of the bed grrr!!! in fact, yesterday, he peed on ME while I was napping! i think he smells my hormones, and doesn't like them
OH NO!!! I hope my kitties don't get any bright ideas about spraying!! YUCK! They haven't done anything strange yet.. just as cute and snuggly as ever!!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#12 of 28 Old 05-04-2005, 09:49 AM
SMR

Okay, so most of you seem to be pro's at this co sleeping business..
How do you and your DH 'get it on' with a babe in the middle of you?? And, I mean... a newborn or 4 month old wouldn't really notice or care.. but a two year old would surely wonder WTF was going on, right??

I asked DH about co-sleeping yesterday just to see his opinion on it.. after I explained to him what it was.. he was like no way! He actually had a REALLY good reason though! Sometimes he does this shake thing when he's sleeping (rather annoying when I've JUST fallen asleep!) and on occasion I think he has visions or really vivid dreams and he wakes up punching and kicking the air!! So, he said, I might kick the baby or punch her! haha
So, for a while she'll be in our room - but in a different bed!

#13 of 28 Old 05-04-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
and on occasion I think he has visions or really vivid dreams and he wakes up punching and kicking the air!!
That's what "sidecars" are for! Get a crib with a removable side (or one that adjusts VERY low) amd put it on your side. That way, you still have the "co-sleep" thing, but you also have the baby in a safe "non-kick zone!"

You also might find that your sleeping patterns change. i used to sleep with my baby brother (13 yr. difference... LONG story), and I ended up sleeping on a 1/2 inch edge of the bed, because I was afraid I would squish him in his sleep! I also became a very light sleeper .
#14 of 28 Old 05-04-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
How do you and your DH 'get it on' with a babe in the middle of you?? And, I mean... a newborn or 4 month old wouldn't really notice or care.. but a two year old would surely wonder WTF was going on, right??
I agree, a 2 year old would definitely wonder...That's why we get frisky anyplace BUT the family bed. One of the great things about co-sleeping for us has been the fact that we know our DD is sleeply soundly in our large bed, which frees us up to visit the guest room, the living room, etc. Co-sleeping has re-energized that part of our marriage; it wasn't in trouble before, but now it's even more fun. Anyone else find this to be true?
#15 of 28 Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

SMR, you simply find other places to "do it"!

If you think are thinking about co-sleeping, I would definitely do the sidecar. That way, it will give the baby his/her own place and still have the same effect as co-sleeping.
#16 of 28 Old 05-04-2005, 12:42 PM

I have sex in the bed with my 27 mo. old asleep. The Continuum Concept addresses this and says that parents should have sex in the family bed. It's totally natural and what people have been doing for millenia. Of course, if my son wakes up, we stop and I help him get back to sleep. As soon as he's old enough to wonder about sex I'll teach him the basics.
#17 of 28 Old 05-04-2005, 11:34 PM

Still nursing and co-sleeping with 20 month old ds, not sure what we'll do when #2 gets here. We did get a kingsize a few months ago, and love it!
It sounds like most of the toddlers here have at least nightweaned, and i think I'll probably have to try for that, since I can't imagine ds crawling all over me from side to side while trying to nurse the baby as well..
Any suggestions about how to nightwean while keeping ds in the family bed?

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)
#18 of 28 Old 05-05-2005, 10:43 AM

Gabry- When I night-weaned Julian, I had my partner put him to bed at night after I nursed him for a bit. He had a sippy by the bed, and I dressed in shirts that were nearly impossible to nurse in and slept on my stomach. He often crawled onto my back and fell asleep there! There were some tears at night for about a week but then he started sleeping through just fine. Both of us were much happier!
#19 of 28 Old 05-12-2005, 07:50 PM

I intend to cosleep. I'm kinda wondering how, though. DH and I have a full bed, and there's no room for a sidecar (and I don't really want that anyway). I'm thinking in the beginning, dh and I can put our pillows vertical, and put the baby between us, and then save up for a queen bed. Or we can buy a twin mattress and put it on the floor next to the full mattress, and not have a "real" bed for a while.... but I don't know.
#20 of 28 Old 05-12-2005, 07:53 PM

I currently start out with dh and then go sleep with 2.5 yr old ds (in a full) when he wakes up. When ds was smaller it was just the two of us in the other bed. DH likes the idea of co-sleeping, but he just sprawls too much for any of us (ok, me) to have enough room. I think I might get a twin mattress and push it up to the full and then have the wee babe and ds in there with me.
#21 of 28 Old 05-12-2005, 09:21 PM

Persephone -

That sounds like what DH & I did when DD joined us - We turned our pillows vertically and put her between us.I don't know how other babies sleep, but DD slept so close to me that having her in bed with us didn't actually take up all that much more space than just DH & myself did...And she was a big newborn! We had a queen bed at home, but slept that way in a double when visiting family members, and it worked OK. Now she likes to sprawl out a bit, but in the beginning, she was basically glued to my side. She used to twine her little arms around mine and hold on tight
#22 of 28 Old 05-12-2005, 09:30 PM

I truly do not know! My DD slept with us until 14 months when she asked to sleep in her room (I know, I know, she is very advanced and independant for her age). Honestly, I didn't really 'enjoy' cosleeping much. I talk and walk in my sleep, so I was really paranoid that I would hurt the baby. A few times I woke my DH, screaming that I had 'ruined' the baby, holding a pillow out to him, while still half-asleep. And I tended to sleep through her wakings until my DH would rouse me because I am such a deep sleeper.

There were some beautiful, tender moments that I romanticize, now that she is in her own room. Like when she would wake me up by kissing me... and how her sweet, warm baby body looked, all curled up next to me nursing in her sleep...

I don't know! Like a few have mentioned we have a small queen bed, so it gets really cramped. And it is a sleep number bed- not real good for cosleeping and nursing. I think we will try the bassinette or crib next to the bed to see if that works. I definately want the baby in the room, near me... I would feel weird having him or her far down the hall. And I am really sold on the benefits of "learning" to breathe by adopting mom's pattern while sleeping. Oh and the prevention of SIDS... I swear I would sleep through hungry cries right next to me, but darn if I didn't wake when my DD's little cap covered her face and she was stuck. I am really sold on the benefits, I'm just worried that it isn't the right thing for us.

#23 of 28 Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 AM

We will definitely co-sleep with the new kiddo, but I have no idea what we are going to do with dd's. Our bed is sooo crowded right now with the four of us, so I really don't think there is any way we could fit another warm body in there. We will be moving back into our home in Indiana at the end of summer, where the girls have their own room, so me may try to transition then if they seem ready.
#24 of 28 Old 05-21-2005, 07:28 PM

I plan to co-sleep. Not too sure how it is all going to work right now. I plan on having a full bed in the nursery for baby and I at first, I want DH to be able to get his sleep!

Right now he says no way to co-sleeping but I have a feeling he will end up changing his mind after baby arrives!
#25 of 28 Old 05-21-2005, 08:35 PM

That's a definite yes for us! I didn't plan to with ds, but then when he arrived, I couldn't bear to think of him down the hall and trudging down the hall to feed him every 2 hours! My husband's parents slept with him and my midwife told me to "put that baby in bed with you", so we did! And I never regretted it. I think people who are so anti-cosleeping really are missing out. Now if you can't or aren't comfortable with it, that's one thing. But thinking that it's just wrong ... :
#26 of 28 Old 05-21-2005, 08:54 PM

We will co-sleep for awhile. DD co-slep for 6 months, and then started sleeping horribly, and we tried moving her to her own bed and she did great. I was so sad! It was not what I had in mind, but it turned out ok. She comes into bed with us to nurse when she wakes up. I guess it worked out ok, but I hope we can co-sleep with this baby longer.
#27 of 28 Old 05-22-2005, 12:15 PM

We are co-sleeping with our 18 month old now, and he's a terrible sleeper! I also co-slept with my 3 older kids (different dh) and amazingly enough, at 14, 12, and 11, they do indeed sleep alone *gasp* regardless of what co-sleeping naysayers try to convince people. We will co sleep with the new babe too, probably with the new one in the cosleeper crib thingie. We'll see what works when he/she gets here. We might set up a toddler bed in our room for Slater. We'll see

I don't know how well my husband will do not sleeping with Slater, to be honest. He says he just cannot imagine how people can put their babies in another room for so many hours a day. (I brainwashed him SOO good during my pregnancy . He doesn't even understand that the way we parent is different than most people, since we don't have any friends with young children.)
#28 of 28 Old 05-22-2005, 12:31 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
We take the side off the crib and turn it into a co-sleeper of sorts. Same height as our bed. We do that for the first year and then I transition them into their own twin bed. That way I can still sleep with them if needed or lay down to nurse them. We put the twin mattress on the floor. Dh would move them sooner--it seems once they can get around they like to climb all over daddy in the middle of the night. But I won't budge for that first year. I want to make sure they can get in and out of there twin mattress by themselves. My kids so far have been early walkers so that works for us.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page