Any over 35 moms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2005, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As an older mom (38), it would be fun to connect with some other older moms. Not sure what we'll talk about, and I'm not a good thread leader/facilitator-type, but maybe others can pitch in and we'll see how it evolves. I guess now that we are pg, we have less to obsess about in terms of will we be successful conceiving. But it might be nice to have some support anyway.

A little about me:
DH is 34
DD#1 is 21 months and still nursing
EDD for #2 is 1/10/06
Plan to continue nursing through pregnancy
Got pg with #2 on first month of trying, just hope it sticks
Beta HCG was 114 at 13 DPO, get my second beta today
Live in Northern CA
Work full time (hoping to change that within 1-2 years)
Taking prenatals, Red Raspberry, extra E, extra b-complex, omega-3s
Co-slept with dd until 12 months (side car), she's in her crib now and seems to really like it, the transition was easy and tearless (I nurse her to sleep and when she'd done, she says "ready crib").

Cheers,
Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 12:38 AM

Sara, didn't reply initially 'cause I'm not quite there yet (35 in June), but I kinda feel like I'm older than most, here, but especially IRL. I live in a poor and rural area, and sometimes it seems like most people here are grandparents by 35 or so!! I have more than once made the mistake of assuming someone was a kids mom ("Is he your first?") where really they were watching their grandkids.
My ds too is almost 21 months, and I too work full time (and wish I didn't, maybe 3-4 days at most). I was getting paranoid about conceiving 'on time' (we think we might still want #3 and possibly 4), and am really glad I finally did.
I read elsewhere you're concerned about your numbers. I know you didn't quite double them, but I would say it's pretty close. Did you have a problem before that you got it checked or is that just something your ob does? Hope all is well!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)
Old 05-07-2005, 08:54 AM

I'm not over 35, but I did just turn 35! Close enough I guess. I too feel pretty "old" here and in real life! My mom thinks I am too old to be pregnant : . My dh is 40. My other kiddos are all boys and 6,4,and 2. I too am nursing and am willing to give tandem another try. I did with 1 and 2, but I found it very difficult. We co-sleep and will just see who is where when the babe arrives. I don't even have a room set up for ds3 I guess we need to work on that. I guess that's it for now! Can't wait for Jan!

momma to 4!
Old 05-07-2005, 04:22 PM

I'm 36 and expecting #2 - #1 was born when I was 33, and even then I was OLD compared to most of the moms where I lived...We've moved since then, back to my hometown, where there are plenty of older mamas, so I feel less alone this time.

I also got pregnant the first month we tried with DD and again this time...We're very lucky that way.

I'm still nursing DD, with no plans to wean her - I'll be happy to tandem nurse if she wants to.

We all sleep in our family bed, and have room for another - We'll just have to work out the logistics of who sleeps where.

I am self-employed with a 10-year old home-based business, but haven't gotten a lot of work done since DD's birth...She's starting preschool this summer, so that should increase my productivity for a while, at least. We could definitely use the extra $, and I do enjoy my work (although I don't love the paperwork & administrative aspect of being self-employed).

I'm taking the same prenatals I've been on since pregnant with DD (Rainbow Light - I belong to a buying club and get them at wholesale cost, hurray!), along with some cod liver oil (being careful not to exceed safe vitamin A dosage!), and some home-mixed prenatal tea.

That's all I have time for now - DD calls!
Old 05-08-2005, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone. Good to have some company here. I think feeling like you fit in posting here is a better reason to post here than actual age. I don't live in the same kind of area as you do, Gabry, but I can imagine what that would be like. Of course where I am there are a lot of older moms. Although still most of the moms in the mom's group I was in briefly (briefly because almost all of them were SAHMs and they had their meetings during the day so after I went back to work it became impractical), many of the moms were younger. The closest we've come to a rural area like you describe is Williamsburg, VA. I remember noticing a lot of pretty young moms there. Even though we weren't right in the military area, there was still some overflow from Norfolk (naval base, I think). The race/socio-economic disparity there was also very stark. It is here too, just in a different way I guess.

Anyway, I ramble.

Rebx, I also feel lucky having conceived on first try. I worry that it means things won't go well because I was too fortunate, isn't that paranoid of me.

And speaking of fears, Gabry mentioned my beta hcg numbers she'd seen in another thread. I do have good news to report there. To review, all tests were done exactly 48 hours apart, starting between 14 and 16 DPO (range because can't be sure when I Od). First was 114 as mentioned in first post here. Second was 193, about a 69% rise in 48 hours, but third yesterday was a nice 538. So that helped me rest easier this weekend. I really will not relax and stop worrying until/if this baby is born. I know I should think more positively but I guess I'm kind of a worrier and I do know so many women who have had MCs. I was the same way with number one and she is more amazing than I ever imagined. I hope my fears again turn out to be unfounded.

Oh, you asked why I was having the testing, my OB is being more conservative with me because of my age, fact that I had a chemical pregnancy in past, and because my best friend who is a midwife is a good friend of hers so I think she pays a bit more attention to me. You can also read in the "nursing beyond infancy" section my challenges with her on the subject of BFing during this pregnancy. If anyone is dealing with that issue with your OB, that has evolved into a very informative thread.

Yes, the work thing is a double-edged sword. Making a pretty good living is nice (though in the area we live we don't own a home and this is very frustrating given our incomes would certainly seem to allow us to do so . . . well, not when the median price very basic 2-3 bedroom 1200 sqft home is over $750K), but I really hate being away from DD so much. So, we've been working on a plan to change that. On that note (trying to live more frugally so you can align your life better with your values) I can't recommend www.simpleliving.net/forums highly enough.

I guess that's all for tonight. I nursed DD to bed and then swore I was going to go immediately to bed. Had to jump online to make a hotel reservation for biz trip next week and here I am rambling away at a time when I am feeling particularly exhausted.

Thanks again for responding, look forward to hearing more from all of you who replied and also having new folks join as the Jan 2006 group expands (literally and literally)!

Sara
Old 05-09-2005, 12:21 AM

Sara, that is great that your numbers came up!
I'm just trying to relax until I go to my first ob appt, which isn't til June 3rd. It could have been earlier but not with the ob I wanted to see (recommended by friend), so I'll just have to be patient. I don't even know if she'll do an US, and I know it's really not necessary, but I do think it would be somewhat reassuring. I think I'll just go with the flow on that one.
Today we met up with some mommas from an Arkansas thread, and it was fun! I don't meet many likeminded moms irl, and it was like a breath of fresh air!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)

User Tag List