Flying during first 12 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-08-2005, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may be a silly question but it didn't come up during my first pregnancy.
I am flying at 5 weeks and at 7 weeks. Very early
A friend was put on leave from flying the first 12 weeks but I am assuming that that is becasue she is a flight attendant who is constantly in the air. Are my two very short flight going to be harmful to the new babe?
I would have no hesatation flying later in pregnancy but you know how nevre racking the first 12 weeks are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-08-2005, 11:09 AM

I have never heard anything about flying in the first 12 weeks being dangerous. In fact, I know I did it with both of my previous pregnancies. We have a trip to Europe planned when I am 10 weeks, so I certainly hope it's ok. I would just say that, more than ever, you will need to stay well-hydrated, since your body is working hard to make extra blood right now, and flying is so dehydrating.

I will be interesed to see how others answer this question.
#3 of 7 Old 05-08-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Started doing a little digging and its one of those no right answer questions.
There are various reasons for yay or nay but I have come to the conclusion that I am comfortable with my two short flights although someone else may not be. I just wanted to educate myself in case others or DF bring up concerns.

I think I also being a little more of a worry wort this time around for some reason I guess because I am more aware of how many things can go wrong.
#4 of 7 Old 05-08-2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTIASKY
I think I also being a little more of a worry wort this time around for some reason I guess because I am more aware of how many things can go wrong.
I understand that!! . I agree with the PP: stay hydrated. I would add walk around the cabin as much as possible (you might have to do that anyway, to pee ) to keep your circulation going. I am noticing already that when I sit too long (at the computer) my butt and leg goes numb . HTH!
#5 of 7 Old 05-08-2005, 02:41 PM

Same here, I've never heard of any contra-indications to flying early on (and have two trips planned in the next month or so), but both pregnancy and flying are risk factors for deep venous thrombosis (blood clots in the legs), so staying hydrated and moving around are doubly important!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)
#6 of 7 Old 05-08-2005, 05:18 PM

I flew at about 5-6 weeks while preggers with my son...I didn't even know I was pregnant at the time...I was a little more nauseous than I normally get, but it was fine....and it was a four hour flight each way.
#7 of 7 Old 05-11-2005, 11:09 AM

I travel alot for my job because I WAH. I think you are fine to fly through 36-37 weeks. As long as you can phgysically do it. I didn't fly when I was pregnant with my DD, so I'm a littler nervous about how I'll react, but so far I'm feeling okay so hopefully I'll be okay on the plane!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page