Beta question.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-09-2005, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a blood test the other day to "confirm" pregnancy. I'm still pregnant. I asked for the blood test, just to make it more real to myself. Anyway, the nurse told me that according to my beta I was 3 weeks along. She said the numbers were 462.9 but my LMP was April 1st. (happy april fools!) Does this seem right? I thought I would be more like 4-5 weeks along.

I know that beta numbers mean virtually nothing in itself, its that they are going up that matters. But I'm not going to be getting anymore blood tests or anything, so ... I'm kinda obsessing and worrying.

Talk me down? Reassurance please?

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#2 of 7 Old 05-09-2005, 11:34 PM

I would suspect that maybe you ovulated later in your cycle. 14 days before your next period is just the average day to ovulate. If you ovulated later, you would also have inplanted later, thus the difference in the week or 2.
Do you chart or anything that could predict your date of conception?
IMO, it would just be later implantation(which doesn't occur immediately anyhow)
#3 of 7 Old 05-09-2005, 11:40 PM

Also, I just wanted to add that if you were only 3 weeks along---as they said---wouldn't you not have missed a period yet? 462 seems very high for only 3 weeks. Most pregnancy tests test at HCG counts of 40-50, the *average* amount a woman would have on the day of her missed period(which would be 4 weeks).
#4 of 7 Old 05-10-2005, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

I hadn't been charting so I can't say exactly. The only things I know for sure are, I did get my period on April 1st.. and we did bd on the 14th. I've not been regular for quite a few years, but I know I was ovulating around the 14th and thought to myself, "Wow.. on day 14 just like the books say!" :LOL So I took a chance and snuck in a little love that night!

We aren't 5x a week people.. so that leaves maybe once before the 14th, and once afterwards for the month. But I do know for sure that I did have O around the 14th. EWCM, crampiness, and that telltale sign for me... an acutal libido! :

I was just really shocked to hear 3 weeks? And thought for sure she must have been confused. According to my dates I'm 6 weeks along, which is a bit far from 3 weeks.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#5 of 7 Old 05-10-2005, 09:34 AM
SMR

The 3 weeks they are referring to is likely from conception.. so 5 weeks would be the actual length from your last period. Why does it have to be so confusing.. I always have to think of 2 dates.. conception date and then the fake lmp date.. since my last period was March 9 and I conceived April 7, the normal cycle length does not apply for me. So, I would figure that you are 5 weeks. When I got my beta numbers (the day my period was due-just love charting!!) the doc said, that's in line with about 2 weeks (from conception)

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#6 of 7 Old 05-10-2005, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm.... so would that mean my actual due date would be 2 weeks later than the due date I get from my LMP? Or does it take conception into consideration?? Oh boy.. still confused. :LOL

#7 of 7 Old 05-10-2005, 01:19 PM
SMR

Nope, I believe they take the due date from the lmp date not the conception date. That may work well for 'regular' women, who always have the same amount of days in their cycle.. but for some people like me.. my lmp doesn't mean anything because it was a month before I ovulated - so I just take the date of conception and add two weeks which is why I'm 6w5days. which gives me a LMP date..
there are some websites that give a due date based on conception.. that's the one that I used! (it's more accurate)

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page