Appointment Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post your appointment here so we can keep track!

***I haven't made mine yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 05:47 PM

My first appointment with my midwife will be May 31, at 8 weeks.
#3 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 05:59 PM

My first appt is June 2 with a midwife -- I'll be 8 weeks then.
My first appt with the homeopath (to try to fend off HG) is tomorrow! Keep your fingers crossed!!
#4 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 06:21 PM

Thanks for prompting me to make my first appointment! It will be June 8th and I'll be 10.5 weeks. Maybe I'll get to hear the heartbeat!!

Emily
#5 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 06:33 PM

Mine was yesterday, May 9.
It went really well. They changed my EDD to 12/29, instead of 12/28. At least that gives me one more day before they induce
I didn't get to listen to the heartbeat because they said it was too early. I was able to ask all the questions that I listed in one of the other threads. Dr. was very willing to answer each question.

Some that stood out were:
90% of her first time moms get episiotomies!!! I figure, though, that MANY moms in my area are not aware of stretching exercises and mineral (Dr. is supportive of these to prevent episiotomy). Dr. does favor episio to tearing though .

She will allow me to go 10-15 days past my due date before induction . She said any farther than that they will have to induce.

She does not use Cytotec in her practice (hardly ever )

She is one doctor in a 10 doctor practice. She says she will try to be there when I deliver, but she can't guarantee it. She trusts the other doctors, though, and said she would trust any of her family members with any of the other docs.

I am a little anxious about having other docs, but one of the other dr.s in the practice delivered me when she was an intern (27 years ago!) and my brother (at the hospital I will deliver) 13 years ago! it would be kinda cool to have the same dr. deliver me and my baby
#6 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 PM

My "official" first appointment was June 2nd. I'll be about 9 1/2 weeks then.

But I was having some spotting problems, so I called my dr. and went in yesterday for some tests and blood work. She just called me and said my progestrine level was only at an 11, and they would like them above 15, which could be the reason I am spotting. I have to go in again tomorrow for more blood work, to test my HCG levels, and make sure they're rising. They will also give me a pill that I take for the next 6 weeks to raise my progestrine level.
#7 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 07:18 PM

I see my midwife this Friday, the 13th. I will be 6 weeks preggers
#8 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 07:51 PM

Hmm, well I am not seeing anyone, but I did take my BP and weight the other day, and both look good so far!

Ozzyemm, there is no excuse for a 90% episiotomy rate. I think 10% is too high! Make sure you have someone with you at your birth who will make absolutely sure she doesn't cut you, as my midwife (!!!) gave me an episiotomy even though I'd said I prefer a tear, and it still hurts, 27 months later. I wish my ex would have been like "NO WAY! Get away from my girl's vagina!!!"
#9 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama
Hmm, well I am not seeing anyone, but I did take my BP and weight the other day, and both look good so far!

Ozzyemm, there is no excuse for a 90% episiotomy rate. I think 10% is too high! Make sure you have someone with you at your birth who will make absolutely sure she doesn't cut you, as my midwife (!!!) gave me an episiotomy even though I'd said I prefer a tear, and it still hurts, 27 months later. I wish my ex would have been like "NO WAY! Get away from my girl's vagina!!!"
I agree. Just because she prefers an episiotomy doesn't give her the right to make you prefer one. : I've had one and OMG, don't get me started. My midwife doesn't do them and if she did, she wouldn't be my midwife.

hottmama - I'm glad things are looking good!
#10 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 09:13 PM

Umm.. did I say I prefered episiotomies????? That's why I had my list and asked my questions NOW. I have attended births where the Dr. said he wasn't giving an episio, and then just clipped and pulled the baby out. Trust me, I will have my doula AND my DH watching like hawks!

I personally am glad that she was upfront with me, and didn't lie or build up my hopes. I know what to expect from her on birthing day.

BTW-- I live in one of the most backward communities in California. The hospital I am birthing at is the most progressive in my town. "This is as good as it gets, folks!" Until I am able to afford to stay at The Farm or another progressive birth center, I just have to be prepared and very vocal .
#11 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 09:40 PM
SMR

Hi there!
My first appt, will be June 3. I will be 10w1day by then, so hopefully we'll get to hear the heart beating away!!
I sent my midwife an email with a bunch of questions, she responded today. The episiotomy rate for them is 10%. The % of women who use epidurals 55% with the midwives, 90%! with the OB's!! 12% c-section rate for midwives, 26% for OB's! This is in the same hospital.. U of M ann arbor. I was glad to hear that I could eat lightly in early labor and drink through the whole labor.. my sisters could have ice chips and nothing else! She said that I could bring a tub if I wanted to do a water birth.. they have tubs in 3 rooms, but no guarentee that you get one, so if you want a water birth it's best to bring your own. I was very pleased with the answers.. they still like to induce at 42 weeks, which I don't really like - but it seems to be just normal protocol these days.. so hopefully the babe comes out on her own!!
My sister in law had a baby today by planned c-sec.. (first baby was a csection and her hubby was in iraq, but got 2 weeks leave to see the birth)
She has a doppler to hear the heartbeat... one of the fancy ones. She's gonna send it to us, so we can hear the heart beat whenever we want!! YIPPEE!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#12 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 10:29 PM

#13 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 10:44 PM

My first appt will be May 23! I had an appt. and canceled when I decided to try another mw....we'll see. I will have a list of questions! I think I will be 7wks? Maybe it will seem a bit more real then?!

momma to 4!
#14 of 46 Old 05-10-2005, 11:48 PM

My first appointment is on May 24th. I can't wait for them to give me a due date since I haven't had a period since my dd was born and am not really sure how pregnant I am!!!!
#15 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyemm
Umm.. did I say I prefered episiotomies????? That's why I had my list and asked my questions NOW. I have attended births where the Dr. said he wasn't giving an episio, and then just clipped and pulled the baby out. Trust me, I will have my doula AND my DH watching like hawks!

I personally am glad that she was upfront with me, and didn't lie or build up my hopes. I know what to expect from her on birthing day.

BTW-- I live in one of the most backward communities in California. The hospital I am birthing at is the most progressive in my town. "This is as good as it gets, folks!" Until I am able to afford to stay at The Farm or another progressive birth center, I just have to be prepared and very vocal .
I never meant to imply that you preffered them. I'm sure you will do great. I was venting on that mentallity and your post probably wasn't the best place to do that. Sorry!
#16 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 02:05 AM

Lindsay-- I'm gonna blame pregnancy hormones on my mini rant . I knew when the dr. said 90% that that was incredible high, but she is one of the most lenient dr.s in my town! Like I said before, my town is very backward thinking. I wish I could have a midwife, but there is only one that I know of, and she doesn't have hospital privileges. The thing about this hospital is if you have a doula, the nurses leave you alone. I can take off the monitor for as long as I want, and I won't have an IV when I get admitted (if it isn't an induction). Monitors and IVs are the norm at EVERY other hospital in this area! I wish I could birth in my home, but that really isn't possible at this time. We will be staying with Dh's family before the birth (they live in the town I will be birthing in) and they wouldn't like us birthing in their house .

Anyway, good luck on your appts! Remember to have a list of questions for your doc/midwife! it really helps!
#17 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 02:56 AM

Emily,

I just wanted to add that while your doctor is being up front with you her replies make me VERY nervous. I understand that you are in a backward area and all, but just let me say this: It is your birth, your body. Nobody (not even your doctor) can do anything to you without your consent. Make sure YOU are in control of YOUR birth. What worries me most is your talk about induction. Being "late" is not medically sound reason to induce. 40 weeks gestation is just an average, meaning some women carry longer (2, 3, sometimes even 4wks longer although it is rare). First time mothers who are induced have a higher risk (60% - going off memory here) of c-section due to FTP. The sad truth is that induction, especially in first-time moms, often is the start of the slippery slope to an unnecessary c-section. If you happen to reach 10 days or 15 days past EED, I would request a Biophysical Profile before even discussing a c-section. As long as your doing fine and they baby is doing fine, it's best not to mess with mother nature.

Please read this as a message of sisterly concern from a mama who has BTDT.
#18 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 11:26 AM

Hey...

I don't have an appointment yet. Prob won't for a month or more... but I AM going to be doing a series of beta starting today to track for ectopic. And I'll have an u/s week of 5/30 (to make sure it is growing in the right place).

UPDATE! I am starting the beta tests next week because she said that right now it probably is too early. I feel really good and not worried at all, though!

#19 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR
She has a doppler to hear the heartbeat... one of the fancy ones. She's gonna send it to us, so we can hear the heart beat whenever we want!! YIPPEE!
when we were pregnant with DD we asked the midwife about these as our friends had one. she said she didn't recommend them as the effects of them haven't been adequtely studied. Just somethig to think about.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#20 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelysmommy
when we were pregnant with DD we asked the midwife about these as our friends had one. she said she didn't recommend them as the effects of them haven't been adequtely studied. Just somethig to think about.
I just wanted to make a big "yeah that" to this post!

My DD would go nuts whenever we had an u/s or my sOB used the Doppler... we thought it was cute. But later we found out that the noise may actually disrupt and upset the baby. We had an at home doppler and many, many u/s during the pregnancy. My DD was extremely colicky and is still very sensitive to noises. It pains me to think that it could be caused by overuse of u/s and the doppler

We will be very choiceful with the use of the devises this time. Doing a series of vaginal u/s early on to watch for ectopic and no more unless necessary. And we'll not use the Doppler unless necessary.

I will try to find those links that I read about the Doppler and hearing.

#21 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 12:54 PM
SMR

I know lots of people who have a bunch of ultrasounds and doppler readings and the kids come out just fine. It's not really one of my top concerns seeing as millions of people have used it and have not caused damage to their kids. I appreciate the comments, but I will be having an ultrasound and using the doppler.. of course it won't be an every day thing.. but if it gives me comfort and joy, then my baby is happier too! Besides, I JAM the music in my car.. so this babe will be used to loud noises!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#22 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 01:08 PM

not to be too snarky,

but i know a lot of women who have smoked thorughout their pregnancies and thier kids turned out fine too. But there is still risks. Not that the two things are even in the same ball park, but i just think that is a lousey way to rationalize things.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#23 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 01:17 PM

MuhajibahMama-- Thanks for the advice; I will keep the profile in mind. I really DON'T want an induction!! That's why I am so glad she will wait 15 days. At the end of that 15 days, I can ask for a BProfile.
#24 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 01:20 PM

The noise from the u/s isn't regular noise like music from a stereo... it is at a different frequency and very little is known about the effect. Many others could have the same consequences seeing the rise in the number of babies diagnosed with colic and the increase in u/s use.

I probably would feel the same way if I wasn't one of the people who experienced a possible consquence. ETA (I didn't get to finish my post, teething toddler) I just believe in informing myself to the fullest when making such critical decisions and wanted to help someone else avoid the regrets that I had in my first pregnancy from not having all the info.

#25 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 01:49 PM
SMR

jewelysmommy - you are TOTALLY right.. smoking and having ultrasounds are NOT anywhere near similar!
I generally don't rationalize things like that.. the fact of the matter is I do what I want, and take the opinions of others as I see fit. I look very deeply into things that are important to me and things that I worry about personally. Other things, such as ultrasounds/dopplers don't freak me out as much as other people, therefore I will use them. Right now I worry that my baby's heart is actually beating.. and if someone said, come on in for an ultrasound to see if the babes heartbeat shows up, I'd be there in a minute! I know there are 'risks' to everything we do.. but I don't consume caffeine, medication, alcohol or any other things that could be dangerous to my baby - so if an ultrasound is the most horrible 'crime' I commit to my unborn baby.. I think I'm doing okay.

#26 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 03:33 PM

thanks for taking that okay SMR. I am glad you understood what I meant. I also am not overly freaked out. I mean I am not going to do the doppler thing, but at my first appointment I plan on listening to the baby's heart there. I am not sure if I am getting an ultrasound or not yet. More b/c I don't think I want to know the babies sex, as I think in most cases it isn't medically nessacary. although the Ultra sound Pics of DD are so cute. I just thought I would put that concern out there so you could make a more informed decision.

as for appt's I am still waiting to here about my insurance options to see if I can go with the midwife I have chosen.

Courtney

#27 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 08:37 PM

Well, I should have my first "appointment" on the 18th, although it's not really an appointment. My cases was discussed at the practice this morning and they are not sure "what to do about me", so I have an appointment with their VBAC specialist. Which is better than a flat out refusal I suppose. The problem is I am outside their area and want to have a home VBAC and I am due in January. I know they HAVE delivered VBACs in my area before (even more out of the way than my location!), but it is still an issue. There are two other local practices that are decent, but one only does VBACs in the hospital and the other will do HVBACs but they are an unknown as of yet...and if they have priveldges at the hospital I think they do, then they are NOT an option because you could not pay me enough money to deliver in that hospital.

Anyway, I really think I am an ideal candidate for them to take on as an "exception" to the rule...and I'm pretty sure I could get in with them if I agreed to a clinic birth, but honestly, I'd rather the midwife get stuck in rush hour traffic rather than me! :LOL Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me on Wednesday. I REALLY want them to take me in!
#28 of 46 Old 05-11-2005, 08:54 PM

I have my first midwife appt next Tuesday. I am planning VBAC but want to do at a hospital just in case of strange complication or something...looking forward to talking with midwife.

Gotta go sleep....anyone else going to bed at 7pm like me??

alicia
#29 of 46 Old 05-12-2005, 04:08 PM

I see my mw next Thursday, 5/19. She's due next month with her own baby so really I'm just going in to chat and pick up some ca/mg (she gets them at wholesale.)
#30 of 46 Old 05-17-2005, 05:42 PM

Had my first appt -- my midwife spent 1.5 hours with me -- so different than dr I had with 1st. I got to see the little heartbeating and had a good cry! My son was precious looking at the baby heartbeat on the monitor.

Alicia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page