anyone doing yoga this early on? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-11-2005, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing Ayengar Yoga, and not sure if I should be. I'm only like 5 weeks along, and doing pre-natal classes...but not sure if I should skip the first trimester.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-11-2005, 01:58 PM

I will be doing prenatal yoga as soon as I get my TV hooked up. That probably won't be until the 2nd trimester, only because we don't want TV to interfere with my brother's school work.
#3 of 6 Old 05-11-2005, 04:00 PM

I do Ashtanga yoga regularly, have practiced it for about five years, and am doing it now (7 weeks along). With both of my previous pregnancies, I switched to Iyengar about halfway through, when my belly got too big to do normal sun salutes comfortably. As far as I understand it, yoga of any sort is absolutely wonderful for your pregnant body at any time. That having been said, I think you should let your instructor know that you are pregnant. You merely need to what feels right to you and listen to your body.

Janet Balaskas has a wonderful book of yoga poses for pregnancy, in case anyone is interested.

FYI...also, yoga is perfect preparation for labor, it is really teaches you to focus and breathe.
#4 of 6 Old 05-11-2005, 04:02 PM

I didn't notice, Mama2Tristan that you already have a child (you'd think I would have from your alias, wouldn't you?) So, I guess you already know all about labor. Still I think you should keep up your yoga!
#5 of 6 Old 05-11-2005, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, mama to Tristan. I actually just got back from yoga, and did let my instructor know about my pregnancy. She is wonderful. She is going to have me do restorative poses ( no standing poses) until the end of my first trimester - only because I've had 2 m/c's with the most recent one being 2 mos ago. I didn't do yoga with my first successful pregnancy (Tristan ) because I was scared to, since I had a m/c before him too...But now, I feel like the yoga is helping with my anxiety. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude, and I know that regardless, yoga is not going to harm me. If I'm going to m/c, there's nothing I can do at this point....so why worry. I did ashtanga yoga too about 5 years ago...It was great when I was really in shape...But Iyengar is much better for me now because I'm not the athlete that I use to be.... . Now, my exercise is walking and caring for ds who is super active.
#6 of 6 Old 05-11-2005, 05:17 PM

I don't do yoga... I stretch with my exercise ball and use my eliptical trainer. My m/w told me that as long as I don't exert myself that I can keep going. I'm 15 lbs above my prepreg weight with my DD, so I'm trying not to gain a lot because it really isn't healthy, so staying active is key for me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page