Any Blue Ribbon Babies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-11-2005, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had mild PIH with my DD and I gained so much weight with her (more than 70 lbs!) so my m/w has recommended that I try to Blue Ribbon Baby plan.

Has anyone done this or talked to their m/w about it? Is it easy? Do you feel satisfied? How did you manage to stick o it with cravings?

#2 of 3 Old 05-11-2005, 11:33 PM

I didn't know what the Blue Ribbon Baby plan was until I googled it. I always called it the Brewer Diet. Oops. Anyway, I learned about it in my Bradley class around 20 weeks with DD and basically followed the guidelines. I had low BP, very little swelling and a healthy newborn weighing 7# 12oz. I gained almost 40# during the pregnancy but was back in my favorite jeans at our Bradley reunion at 9 weeks PP.

I'm following it basically the same way this time from much earlier on and I hope to have the same results.

My one complaint (and maybe because I never read the whole book but just followed my Bradley teacher's version) is that it doesn't warn of the danger of using dairy as your main protein source. My DD and several other babies whose mothers relied heavily on milk, whey protein, and other dairy for protein were sensitive to dairy for the first year or so of life. I had to eliminate dairy from my diet when DD was new until she was about 12 months because she couldn't tolerate any of it. She's fine now at 2 yo.
#3 of 3 Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 AM

Thanks for explaining what the Blue Ribbon Diet is. If it's the Brewer diet, then I followed it, too (also learned about it in Bradley classes.) I did this with both children. I found it quite challenging to hit the protein goals each day, as we are mostly vegetarian and I am not used to eating SO much protein. But we generally eat very few refined carbs and so that part was easy for us. I had two healthy pregnancies, and big newborns (8 lbs 10 oz and 9 lbs 5 oz.) I really think that diet served me well and will follow its guidelines again this time. Just like Because, I gained 35-40 lbs in my pregnancies, but lost it all within 6 months of the babies being born. So, I guess that was all ok.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page