#1 of 14 Old 05-19-2005, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's what I'm using:

- lots of protein and not letting my tummy get empty
- vitamin b6
- Sea Bands
- ginger snap cookies with chunks of real ginger (from Trader Joe's)
- ginger & lemon tea
- about 2 oz of Coke when I didn't have tea available
- distraction

I've heard of:
- plain ginger
- papaya (fruit or extract)
- sniffing rubbing alcohol on cotton balls
- Unisom (apparently they use a drug in Canada that is basically the active ingredient in Unisom + vit b6---can anyone verify this?)
- various prescription drugs for severe hyperemesis

What else? Let's get a list going so we have a good, quick reference for when the going gets tough.
#2 of 14 Old 05-19-2005, 07:47 AM

Morning sickness hasn't hit me this time (though I'm only 4 weeks), but last time I had it really bad. I found that sea bands worked the best for me, that and parking my butt on the couch every afternoon when I came home and having my DH wait on me! :LOL
What didn't work for me were the preggie pops. On more than one occasion I can remember tossing my cookies with a preggie pop in one hand!
#3 of 14 Old 05-19-2005, 08:55 AM

Yesterday morning sickness hit like a mack truck. I am flat on my back wishing I weren't pg. My mom had to come watch my younger 2 and today she has them again. I am hoping to get into the midwife and get something. I have NEVER been sick like this. I have started to keep some water down late last night. I seem to feel ok in teh early am and then get worse as the am wears on. I am dreading the passing of time this am. What helps when you can't keep food down? i am miserable.

momma to 4!
#4 of 14 Old 05-19-2005, 09:24 AM

definitely protein, and definitely anything with lemon in it, and if that's not available, orange juice.
also, this may sound disgusting to most, but certain junk foods tend to help me, like McDonald's egg and cheese mcmuffins (hold the meat) with their greasy hash browns...i'm not usually a junk food fan, but sometimes i have to give in with the nauseousness....to offset it though, i am having tons of fruits and veggies (with hummus for salty flavor)
#5 of 14 Old 05-19-2005, 09:31 AM

With my first I def needed the fat and grease to settle a mildly off tummy. I was also pretty thin and felt like my body needed the extra fat. I seriously can't eat now. I really don't know what to do. I am just waiting for my mw office to open.
k

momma to 4!
#6 of 14 Old 05-19-2005, 10:16 AM

With my 3rd baby I had m/s until 20 weeks. The only thing that worked for me was a vitamin called Prenatal Good Mornings by Rainbow Light.
#7 of 14 Old 05-19-2005, 12:47 PM

K - I hope you get relief soon You sound simply miserable

I've been using

lemon water or a little 7-up
Vit B-6 (but not too much as it can reduce milk supply and I'm nursing a 12mo/old)
Greasy food
Not letting tummy get too empty even though food is repulsive for the most part.
#8 of 14 Old 05-19-2005, 01:23 PM

Thanks for suggestions and kind words. I just got back from the midwife and she has given me 24hrs to get the ketones out of my urine or I will have to go in for an IV. I loaded up on Gatorade and a script for phenergan (sp?). I am encouraged that I haven't gotten sick today. One more day of rest and I hope to be back on my feet tomorrow. Cross fingers that my pee is clear tomorrow!

momma to 4!
#9 of 14 Old 05-19-2005, 10:56 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I am very fortunate in that I don't really get sick--just a little queasy. However, before I was pg I was discussing this with a midwife friend and she says that what seems to help a lot of her patients is to take a good walk (about 1 mile) each morning. After a few days, most people are feeling good regularly but report that if they skip a day it is the following day that is horrible. SO, since exercise is good anyways and most areas have decent weather now, you might as well try this unless you can't walk far without throwing up.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#10 of 14 Old 05-20-2005, 09:48 AM

Distraction is the best!
I try crackers, but it rarely helps. Sometimes throwing up is a cure.
My midwife wants me to try something called Morning Sickness Magic. It is in liquid form and has the B6, ginger, and some other things to help with the nausea. We'll see if it works!
#11 of 14 Old 05-20-2005, 10:01 AM

i now your all going to balk at this but what worked for me (and I had ms the whole freakin time) was 1/2 water 1/2 applecidar vinegar, sip and then a few saltines.
it sems like you cant stand it, but if you get the first sip down youd be suprised!
#12 of 14 Old 05-20-2005, 02:32 PM

With my first I felt nauseated all the time from week 6 to week 17, but actually only threw up about 6 times, so I don't think I had it as bad as you. But it sort of helped to suck on hard candy, like lemon drops, or a sucker. I hope you feel better!

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#13 of 14 Old 05-20-2005, 04:54 PM

What worked for me last time, and I was miserable, was:

Zofran. It's a prescription drug, not natural, but it was the only thing that allowed me to function and eat and drink. After I took it, I only had the urge to gag a lot, but I would appease that with small sips of lemonade all day. Last time I didn't know the connection between eating protein and keeping MS at bay.Everyone kept just saying "eat crackers" and that didn't do squat.

This time, I'm never letting myself get hungry, and I'm eating protein all day long. I have the Zofran just in case it hits me hard, but so far, I've been lucky with only minor sickness (but I'm also only 5.5 weeks). I also visited our natural food store and their homeopath recommended nux vomica and also a homeopathic mouth spray for morning sickness.
#14 of 14 Old 05-20-2005, 05:44 PM

So far my MS isn't bad. I'm sorta praying it stays this way, but I don't think the real MS with ds kicked in for another week or two. Anyway, I kinda have that queasy feeling you get when you take too many vitamins. The only thing that seems to work is peppermint tea and a lot of movement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page