can a CNM do ultrasounds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-19-2005, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't switch to a MW until over halfway thru my last pregnancy, so I had already had my 2 u/s when I was still with the OB. The CNM that I see is in the same practice as the OB I used to see. I know the OB's routinely do an u/s at the first appt at 8 weeks, so I was wondering if the MW will be able to do the u/s, or if I will have to go to an OB for my first appt.
Someone told me that MW's can't do u/s. I really want to avoid seeing the OB if at all possible, but I really want to see that tiny flicker of a heartbeat so I can breathe a sigh of relief.
Does anyone know?
#2 of 4 Old 05-19-2005, 09:26 AM

yes, midwives do u/s for the initial heartbeat finds. i had one with my ds, and with my two m/c's, and they could do them...but when it came to the 20 week u/s, a technician did it.
#3 of 4 Old 05-19-2005, 12:26 PM

some do and some don't.
it also depends if they have a u/s machine in the office. a midwifery practice is unlikely because they are expensive and routine u/s are not a part of real midwifery care. i'm a part of a private cnm practice and we don't do any routine ultrasounds. if we are concerned and want our clients to have one, we send them to a radiology office.
#4 of 4 Old 05-19-2005, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

They have one in their office. When I was still with the OB's, whoever I was seeing that day did mine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page