Pregnant mommas working out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2005, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what, if anything, others are doing to stay healthy/fit exercise wise, and I guess looking for some suggestions too. I've always worked out at the gym about twice a week and I run/jog/walk 2-4 times a week. I continued to do this through my first pregnancy, still ate plenty to gain 40+ lbs anyways. I also used exercise tapes (yoga, aerobics) designed for pregnancy but I wasn't crazy about them.
What is everyone else doing? Any recommendations for tapes?

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 01:37 AM

I walk a lot. Prolly not often enough. I walk to and from the laundrymat, and I walk to the bus stop at least once a week, and then downtown when I get there. I will be swimming too, when the weather gets warmer. I would like to find some prenatal strengthening exercises. Maybe a prenatal Pilates video. Anyone got any reccommendations? Oh, I'm going to reread my Bradley book too, I think there are some pregnancy exercises in it. Oh, and I've got to Kegel like crazy! I also have a bellydancing video, but for some reason, it's just not that fun when you're all alone.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:33 AM

I also swim 2x a week and walk a bunch. I went to a prenatal yoga class last time I was pg that was great, and I hope to make it back but with a toddler I don't know how consistent I'll be, so I'm also looking for a tape or something. Curious to hear if anyone has recommendations.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:10 AM

I have a couple prenatal yoga tapes. I've done each one about once. One is Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea. My main impression of it was that I needed a good stiff back chair (not just for the later pregnancy) and I kept having to move it around, so that was kind of a pain. I think it was pretty good strengthening-wise. I also have Zen Mama with Rainbeau Mars. She's a little goofy but that doesn't bother me. You definitely needed less props so I liked that one a little better. Since I haven't done them much yet i don't really remember too much about them. They both had Kegel exercises but just a few just to remind you to do them really. The prenatal yoga dvd has a bonus pregnancy massage section which I will have to get dh to watch.

* I edited this to fix the name of the tape..
Old 05-20-2005, 08:05 PM

I run and will continue to run until I can't. I just joined over at the Runner's World forums and there are 6 month preggo mamas running 6 miles, so I know I can keep up!
Old 05-22-2005, 08:15 PM

I run, do the stepmill, do yoga and take cycling classes, for a total of 5-6 workouts per week. This is what I always do, pregnant or not, and during pregnancy, I just lower the intensity of my exercise and watch my heartrate. Last time, I had to stop running at 6 months, so I expect something similar this time.

Colette Crawford has a great prenatal yoga video, although I would much rather be part of a class where I can see other pregnant women regularly.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:41 PM

I took a prenatal yoga class last time, and I really enjoyed it. I haven't been back since I had my son over a year ago though. I would love to start going again.
Right now I mostly just walk and do some light weights (8 lbs.) at home, and work with resistance bands and a tube too. I need to be better about doing it regularly. I also have prenatal and postnatal pilates DVD's, but again, I have a hard time trying to fit it all in.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:49 AM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I use an eliptical machine and do exercises on the ball. I really need to do a bit of strength training for my arms though. At least to tone them. I also swim a bunch in the summer, bike, and walk.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 05-23-2005, 12:53 AM

Not preggo yet but wanted to hear what others had to say as I am ttc. I have a gym membership and go about 3x week to use eliptical trainer/weight train, and swim other days.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:30 PM

I'm not making it to the gym as often as I'd like, but I get in maybe twice a week. I've just been doing the bike and weights since we found out. I normally do the elliptical, but it tends to raise my heart rate too much for me to physically feel like I've gotten any sort of workout. I might give it a go at a lower intensity and see if I can keep my heartrate in check. I also walk with my girls and work in the garden. I'm hoping to find a prenatal yoga class close-by, but so far they've ll been on nights that we already have someting planned on a regular basis.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

I would love to be able to go to a prenatal class, yoga or otherwise, but there is nothing in our area unfortunately (the gym is pretty bare minimum).
Anybody else have problems with (stress) incontinence? It started after I had ds, got about halfway back to normal afterwards, but now it seems the least little jogging makes me leak again (and I hate pads : ). Aside from kegels, anyone have any other remedies to suggest?

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)

User Tag List