who's getting an amnio this pregancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2005, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so up in the air about getting an amnio (I'm of advanced maternal age...uggg). Anyone else thinking about it or have you decided for sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 08:11 PM

Even though was only 28 with my first pregnancy, it was recommended that we get an amnio, due to an unusual ultrasound. We declined, as we understood that the risk of damaging our baby by getting an amnio was somewhere around 1%, which seemed very high to us. After learning that, I don't think I'd ever get an amnio, but we also would not abort if there were something awry with our baby, so we don't really need the information it would provide. I know this is an individual decision. Fortunately, you have a bit of time before you need to decide.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled Mama
I am so up in the air about getting an amnio (I'm of advanced maternal age...uggg). Anyone else thinking about it or have you decided for sure?
We won't be doing one. My SIL, who is 39, has declined to do it and some of the other AMA tests because she says she wouldn't abort regardless of the results, so why take the risks? FWIW, she's very pro-doc, medical model of care type person; not a homebirthing hippie like me

It's a very personal decision that you should make after you gather all the information about the benefits/risks.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:56 PM

I also decided against the amnio because of the risks involved. Before I was even pregnant, I learned that amnio tests for abnormalities. Why test for abnormalities if you are keeping the baby regardless? I talked with a lovely woman who lost her baby shortly after an amnio (more than 20 years ago, now). The needle pierced through the cord. There is a small chance this will happen, and with technology more advanced (better use of ultrasound), I don't know if this happens much anymore. Still, for me itis an unnecessary test.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:12 PM

I'm 36, will be 37, and have always refused the afp or whatever. I don't know if my obgyn will push for an amnio as I have not picked one.

I have mixed feelings. This is an unexpected pregnancy with bad timing (though its not as bad as I originally worried). I already have 4 children. I do not have the resources, financial or emotional, to take care of a severely disabled child. Always before I've said, "well I wouldn't abort anyway, why bother with the risk?" but now if suggested I get one (an amnio), I think I probably will. And cross any other bridges when we come to them.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:39 PM

My personal choice would be not to do the amnio. I don't like the risks...and abortion is an option for us regardless.

The AMA amazes me...they push for this sort of thing and the risk of fetal death is 1%, but a VBAC with risk of uterine rupture (not even catastrophic rupture, and not even a mortality rate involved here) of 0.1% is too dangerous, lots of restrictions, yada yada yada.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:06 PM

I got pg 11 days after I turned 35, so I am in the "advanced maternal age" bracket" We too know we will not abort whatever the outcome and are opting out of all the tests offered. I may consent to the ultrasound at 20 wks just to be prepared should the need be there. I've never done the AFP 'cause of the high false-positives. I am just hoping and praying that this is a healthy baby.

momma to 4!

User Tag List