What sets off your dry heaving.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to figure that my abdomen feels alright and doesn't feel queezy, but that there are certain things that trigger my dry heaving...I'll be in the bathroom at work, and smell whatever, but it grosses me out...And I'll start to salivate a little, and the taste of that causes me to start dry-heaving...This morning, it almost came full out to puking. I almost couldn't control the dry-heaves. So, is it psychological, or real? I'm starting to wonder if I am having real nauseous symptoms, or if it's pyschological. But whatever the smell that triggers it, triggers something funny in my mouth, and then it turns into dry-heaving...Sometimes, it's just even thinking about a certain smell, and not really smelling it, that triggers the dry-heaves. Anyone else have this too? What are your thoughts - is it pyschological since my tummy isn't nauseous....or is it real?
#2 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 02:03 PM

I just did this this morning! My friend is getting married Sunday (yikes!!!) and I am doing ALOT of the decorating (double yikes!!!) Anyway, I was in the garage putting some finishing touches on some of the decorations; and I started coughing, like I was gonna puke. I decided then that it was too hot for me and I went into the house.

So, two things I have found that set me off:
gross things (blood--weird since I am a doula)
heat (I live in the high desert! We will be spending the summer traveling up the west coast, where it is COOLER!!! )

I really don't think it is psychological, since i really don't have a queasy stonach around blood normally. I have always been the "nurse" in my family. Whenever anybody got injured, I was the calm one, and treated them without worrying about blood or nastiness. Also, I am a doula, and love the birthing process. I don't get queasy around blood EVER!!

And, I have lived in the desert all my life, and have never dry heaved because I was running around in 65-70 degree weather!

PS-- I don't have "morning sickness," either, just periodic queasiness-- not every day, and not at the same time every day.
#3 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

That's good to know...So, you don't have an upset stomach right? What would you define "queasiness" as feeling like? For me, I just have that feeling, like I want to dry-heave...Salivating does it for sure....But if I have a good taste in my mouth, I feel pretty normal...almost as if I'm not preggers...It's really hard for me to believe that I am really pregnant because I won't have my first midwife appt until June 2nd...I'll be 8 weeks about...I think...but considering the 2 past m/c's, I definitely want that ultrasound to see the heartbeat...just to confirm that it's real...
I feel more anxious when I don't have as many symptoms...
#4 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 03:34 PM

With my first, I used to gag whenever I heard the word "Wasabi". Wierd, I've never even eaten it!

Single mom of 2 boys
#5 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 03:45 PM

Last week I saw a coworker eat chicken soup with big, stringy chunks of chicken (I'm vegetarian) and I had to run outside and do some desperate deep breathing in order not to throw up. Now all I have to do is think of that soup and I start heavily salivating.
There's also some licorice in a kitchen cupboard. I adore licorice. Now just the sight of the package makes me sick.
#6 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 03:52 PM

Swallowing my own saliva. I suffered from ptyalism (exessive salivation) my first two pregnancies, and this one isn't off to a good start.
#7 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

I can't help but laugh when I read your responses! :LOL It makes me feel better. So maybe it's not an actual stomach nausea, but certain triggers. Certain words for me trigger it too....Maybe our gag reflexes are just heightened....And the weird taste of saliva probably contributes too....It seems almost surreal doesn't it....I also feel it in the back of my throat...It starts there, and then becomes full out gagging...
#8 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 06:17 PM

Brushing my teeth, only in the morning, but EVERY morning. I almost loose my breakfast every time.
#9 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 09:17 PM

Well, this morning when I burped after eating cereal I dry heaved, and then this afternoon at school when I went in the bathroom after someone had been in there doing their business. EEEEW!
#10 of 10 Old 05-27-2005, 03:43 PM

Taking vitamins! I'm not sure what it is, but the vitamin always gets caught going down and I end up dry heaving. This morning a piece of cereal tickled my throat and made me dry heave.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page