Betadine allergy anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-03-2005, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd ask here since I discovered this in my last pregnancy when I had a c-section and betadine was used. I ended up with what looked like a severe sunburn and lots of itchy bumps - it felt like I was burning and that was dulled by the morphine. I'm not finding anything when I google it and I'm wondering what I should know. I'm letting the midwives I interview know and beings I'm planning a homebirth figure it won't make a difference.

So anyone have any info or what I should know - like other areas this is used in that I might not think of?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-03-2005, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, some ppl are allergic to betadine... make sure they put it on your medical record (this also means that you are probably allergic to contrast dye used in radiology procedures). They will use a different disinfectant to prep the area instead. Also note that urine catheters (doesn't matter if it is the foley or straight cath) kits all include betadine. Soooo, if they try to drain your bladder during/after labor with a urine catheter... make a BIG deal about bugging them about NOT using the betadine due to your allergy. Also, if you get an epidural, they will probably use some betadine to prep the area as well. I am an RN and allergic to latex... it is a total PITA, as a nurse AND as a patient. You wouldn't believe how many ppl I constantly have to keep reminding that I am allergic to latex. I might come off as annoying to the staff, but the last thing I want to deal with is an allergic reaction to latex while giving birth, and you wouldn't believe how many ppl would reach for latex gloves even after they were once told and I would have to remind them again. So, the best thing to do is to be pro-active and tell EVERYONE who is taking care of you that you are allergic to betadine. Also, sometimes what they may do if there is no alternative to the betadine is they will load you up on benedryl ahead of time, and often times this will prevent or at least decrease your reaction to it.

BEst of luck to you with this pregnancy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page