Food. . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Anyone thinking of doing some freezer meals for after the baby. Last time I made some soups and a couple casseroles, but I really should have done more.

I also do canning, so we will have fruit this winter. I have made my freezer jam already and need to do beans this week and peaches next.

What are your favorite things to freeze?

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#2 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm planning on making meals, though I'm not sure yet what. I did a few last time. I'm part of a local AP group that brought meals as well, which was mostexcellent. We were pretty good to go between family, friends, meals I'd made and the AP mamas for a good month.

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (6), Butterfly (2),and Rythm (due at home 1/06)
#3 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 10:23 PM

Pasta stuff freezes well. Lasagna, macaroni and cheese, spinach roll-ups...

Also, I really llike to bake a big casserole pan of chicken, mushroom gravy, and green beans, topped with mashed potatoes. It takes forever to reheat if you don't thaw first, but it is a whole, yummy meal when it comes out. Of course, anything with mushroom gravy is a comfort food of mine...

Soups and stews are really easy to do. I make a huge batch then freeze them in freezer bags flat on a cookie sheet. When they're solid, I label the flap on top and "file" them vertically.

For quick lunches, it's easy to make single bean and cheese burritos wrapped in wax paper. Take one out and microwave it. If you didn't pack it too full, you can even eat it over the sink with a baby in a sling...

Great topic, let's hear more ideas!!
#4 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 10:34 PM

I'll be doing this as well - it's one of my lists I'm working on. I'm still gathering some recipes and ideas. So far I'll be doing black bean burritos, spinach lasagna, calzones, veggie soup and mashed potatoes (a fav comfort food!) I'll probably do some breakfast foods as well - sliced banana bread is great as it can be pulled out individually and put straight in the toaster. I'll probably start doubling these meals as we eat them the last month or so to avoid much work.

I actually did this as soon as I found out I was preggo and it worked wonders when m/s and exhaustion hit several weeks later!
#5 of 8 Old 08-25-2005, 11:29 PM

I plan to freeze some meals as well. My sister does a modified version of once a month cooking, and I plan to borrow the book for some more recipies. I have already started making about a weeks worth of meals at a time to keep in the freezer just as a time saving method, so hopefully I will be well into the habit by the time this baby arrives. Is there a recipe thread here anywhere?

chicken3.gif Christian SAHM to DS 3/04, DS 1/06, and DD 1/09 and expecting a new little one in May 2012 selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif 

#6 of 8 Old 08-26-2005, 12:05 AM

Here is my list, I hope it will last for two weeks:

-Lasagna
-Spaghetti Pie
-Shepherd’s Pie
-Enchiladas
-Soup in a baggie (dal)
-Rice and bean burrito mix
-Calzones (basically mini pizza that’s been folded in half)
-Stuffed pasta shells
-Chicken pot pie
-Chili (In Ziploc bag)
-Pancakes
-Oat Muffins
-Carrot Muffins
-Breakfast casserole
-At least two loaves of bread
-maybe a sweet bread? Banana, carrot, zucchini, raisin?
#7 of 8 Old 08-26-2005, 12:48 AM

Great idea! I usually end up w/ a few meals from people at church, but I never thought of helping myself out and I love to cook and bake, so it shouldn't be too hard to double up.
#8 of 8 Old 08-26-2005, 07:25 AM

This thread is awesome! It's really making me excitedabout the ideaof cooking. Just not today I don'tknow how tomake some of this stuff. Maybe someone can start a "Recipes for Post-Partum Food" thread and find whoever can sticky it to do that? I don't knowwho that is...

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (6),Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page