What sling will you get? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 10-18-2005, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpin
Pouches or wraps just seem like they'd be more comfortable. So what are the advantages of slings over these?
they are more comfortable, IMO (i've never used a pouch so i'm just referring to a wrap). wraps are great for long excursions because you really don't feel the baby's weight at all. slings are comfy, but personally i always felt the weight, it doesn't quite disappear like it does with the wrap because like you said it's only being dispersed on one side of the body (which i think can't be great for the back, always having the weight on the same side). i had a heart-to-heart and absolutely hated it when ds was a newborn but i think that was partly due to the fact that i didn't have any hands-on help on how to use it properly, nor a video to watch or anything.

when he was a toddler and not much interested in being carried in a wrap anymore, a friend lent me a non-padded sling which i still use to this day (he's 3 now). it's great for stuffing in my bag when he doesn't feel like walking the one or two blocks to the bus stop, for ex. i would never go for a long walk with him in it but it's a lifesaver when he needs to be carried for shorter distances. i love using it on the bus/metro instead of lugging the stroller around.
it's also great because you can put them in and out quickly.

personally i'd go with the wrap, but one of each is best. i've yet to hear of a parent who didn't love it. it takes some practice at first, but then again so does the sling. do you know anybody who owns any that you can borrow and try out before you spend any money?

rowan
#32 of 38 Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 PM

I will use my mayawrap, probably. I sewed a bunch of new slings using their pattern and I have some really nice tan fabric. The ,ayawarap is their denim fabric, and I just got sick if it. I only stopped carrying dd in it recently since my belly has gotten too big (anyone gotten around this issue?)

I miss being able to sling her. . . i can;t relate to needing several in several places, house, car diaper bag. I pretty much chose one sling that coordinated with what I was wearing and wore that sling that day, under my overshirt or jacket or whatever, ESPECIALLY when she was small. I recently had a booth a a local babay stuff sale to demonstrate slings and i just kept talking about travelling with baby, buying a big overcoat and popping baby into it while leaving the so-called infant "carrier" (big plastic car seat part) in the car where it belongs. i.e. no baby in the bucket next to me on the floor of a restaurant!!!

Previous poster asked why slings over pouches, citing "hurting your back" concerns. It only hurts your back to be carrying your big kid while wearing crappy/stupid shoes; this was my experience. That's the other thing i was asking people (at that sale) to notice as soon as they put the baby in the sling the first time they try it: no part of your muscles is supporting baby.
All baby's weight is on your bony frame. In other words, I only had back pain if i carried her for a while wearing bad shoes. . .which would have happened anyway of i'd have been carrying her in my arms wearing the same shoes (ok ok they were flip flops).

I liked the pocket!!! Do the pouches have pockets? If not forget it for me--I love being able to tramp around and travel so light when othe rmoms are lugging huge diaper bags. Keys, lip gloss and cash/debit card and I'm good for a few hours.

My pocket also finally had some little cards I made that said "It's called a baby sling" to answer the endless people who'd comment on it in public.
I put some info about slings' usefulnes plus the maywrap website, since they have pouch and ring sling patterns free on them with easy to sew directions.

I will most likely make a pouch at some point too. I got some nice green raw silk but i don't want to run it through rings. . .
#33 of 38 Old 10-30-2005, 12:16 AM

I have a hotsling pouch that i started using when DD was about 18 months. I plan to get a wrap for this new little one.
#34 of 38 Old 10-30-2005, 01:42 PM

How did you like the hotsling pouch? Can you use a pouch with a new baby? And do pouches have pockets typically?? I love the pocket!
#35 of 38 Old 10-30-2005, 11:59 PM

I'm more or less a sling addict as well.

I have a small pouch for this babe and will use that until about 12lbs or until I start to feel discomfort in my shoulder (I have back problems) and which point I will switch to a wrap for a two shoulder carry.

I REALLY like pouch slings for newborns. When sized properly they are really comfy and I love the "popability" of the baby. Someone asked about sizing. The way to properly determine your size is to measure from your shoulder to the top of you opposite hip. I got my sling early before I had much of a belly, which gives a more accurate measurement. If you're making your own sling, you would double that measurement and add 5-6 inches. I sling that is slightly small is more snug for a newborn, but regardless, you'll probably need to size up as the babe grows and you want to do other carries. Once you have your sling...the way to make sure that it is sized properly is to "borrow" a baby and make sure you are carrying at belly button height or higher....if baby's bottom is below your button then the sling is too big...you can try a shoulder flip to see if that helps, or have it re-sized.

Generally around 12lbs or 4-5 months I'd transition to a wrap carrier (because of my back). I can to the cross wrap carry to spare my back and baby is still nice and snug. I prefer wraps to the ABC at this point because they are more snug for the baby. Around 10mos, when I'm ready to back carries, I will most like trade the wrap in for the ABC, just in terms of ease of use because I am almost always doing a back carry at that point unless I am putting a babe to sleep.

Anyway, that's my sling routine in a nutshell. I do have a ring sling too...and I more or less use that concurrently with my wrap or ABC...I can't use it exclusively at any given time because the single shoulder carries are too hard on my back after about 12lbs or so, so I can only use the ring sling for short periods of time.

#36 of 38 Old 11-16-2005, 06:43 AM

Thanks for all the great input on slings!! As the due date approaches, I am starting to get anxious about my list...and ALL these choices in slings! Wow. Any input on fleece vs. cotton slings? I live in New York and anticipate a couple of cold months for the newborn, what are your thoughts about how important fleece is?

My husband and I are trying to cut back on buying new items, and all the slings/wraps that will be lent to us are NOT fleece. Will my babe be warm enough?

Thanks ladies,
Kristin
#37 of 38 Old 11-16-2005, 12:58 PM

I would wrap your babe up first, and then put him/her in a sling.

It seems really easy to make a pouch sling, for only a few bucks of fleece. There is also a company that will make a pouch sling for you. You send them the fabric, and it is only $15! I don't know anything about that company, though-- I think I might be able to find a link-- let me check after breakfast.
#38 of 38 Old 11-17-2005, 10:15 AM

great idea, thanks for the tip...if you find the contact info i would love it!
-KB

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page