Mothering Forum banner

Christmas Shopping?

572 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Hollin 
#1 ·
So we are not Christians but we celebrate as a family tradition since our whole family is Christian. When will you shop? I figure I will start next month...

Alicia

#3 ·
**groan** I have lots of ideas but not so much money. And before Christmas I have to worry about dd's 2nd birthday which is mid November. Then Christmas and all the new baby gear - diapers, a sling, cloth pads, hats...I think that's all I need. So much to buy, so little money. I really wanted in on the Folkmanis puppet coop but there's that money issue at the moment. Those puppets look great and dd is so into finger puppets right now!!

#4 ·
Thanks for even raising the question. I need to think about it. Because we are still somewhat living out of boxes after our move, Christmas has hardly even crossed my mind (aside from the fact that I am thrilled that baby gave us an excuse not to travel for one year
I like to make as many gifts as I can (knitting or sewing), but, alas, this year I won't be doing much of that since I have so much other stuff going on. I guess I will begin to draft a list and get going with my Christmas gift thinking soon.

#5 ·
I'm going to shop early for the people I know we're buying for (neices, nephews, parents, etc.) and I'm giving gift certificates to all the gift swap groups (cousins, etc.) that I don't have a name for yet.

I've got everything for DD already (thanks to some good garage sales!!) except for some stocking stuffers.

#7 ·
We celebrate Yule, and also exchange gifts and get things for the kids. This year? Oh boy... its going to be tight! There are still a few things that I NEED to get for this baby, like a carseat etc.. and I'll have to save up some money for that. We're on a fixed budget so big purchases have to come out of something else unfortunatly. Luckily we have girls, and they are relativly easy to buy for.

#8 ·
Uh. Good question! I have no idea. I have lots of ideas and a decided lack of money. My craftiness is rather lacking too. I honestly dont' like to buy gifts for people, I prefer to make things, for which I still need money. We do something different for the holidays though and I'm about to do that next week. I don't wnat my family and friends to give my kids a bunch of crap for Chrismtas. So I send a letter to family and friends encouraging them to write to us....Send us pictures or video, etll us about who they are, what they are up to, what they are doing withtheir lives. Unfortunately, I've been doing this for a few years now and have little or no response. The good thing is that after all the years of asking people to not give us battery toys, we don't getthem anymore. We've received less, which is okay by me. My grandma always asks what we need, whichi s cool. Also in my letter I put things we may need as wellas a "ify ou decide you really must buy a toy..."part with links to websitesthat sell toys we'd apprecaite and use. We'll see how it goes this year... I'd love to gift people with things, and I try to, but I just am not crafty enough to do all I want and don't have the mnoney to do the things I want anyway. Besides, I'mnot really down with giving a gift because it's what's expected. Adn my family knows we be poor, so they don't expect anything from us anyway

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (7), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)

#9 ·
We're also pinching our pennies so I will probably make candy or sew for people. I'll probably buy something special for DH, though. I'm going to ask for my serger to be repaired as my present! It is really nice to not have any pressure to travel for once so we'll mostly be enjoying our last childless Christmas and dreaming of baby's arrival!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.