Ultrasound Tomorrow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-13-2005, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have another ultrasound tomorrow at 2:30est to make sure things are okay. They are concerned that this baby might be getting too big, too quickly. Please keep me in your thoughts! I'll let you know how things go tomorrow.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 11-13-2005, 09:54 PM

When are you due? I had a big baby and they said that kind of stuff to me and they had me have a c-section. Be careful with later ultrasounds. Your baby could have gone thru a growth spurt recently. My midwife said that they really would not be able to tell until around 36-38 weeks. Also measurements can be off by u/s by quite a bit. This lady at my UU church was telling me today they told her her baby was 10 pounds and it was 7.5 when delivered.

How big were your other babies?

Alicia
#3 of 16 Old 11-14-2005, 12:44 AM

U/s is notoriously wrong for weight estimate. What is making "them" think that your baby is getting too big too fast? Define "too big"? If your body grows it, chances are that you can birth it. I hope you have a good u/s tomorrow. If nothing else, you get to peek in on your sweet little girl

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (7), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)
#4 of 16 Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 AM

I'm sorry, but it sounds to me (not just cause of this post, but because of a few others you've posted), that your care providers are sizist. (I remember you talking about your weight gain and food issues, once.) I'd be *really* careful and seriously question their advice.
#5 of 16 Old 11-14-2005, 03:28 AM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I agree with all the previous posters. Especially about using u/s to guess size at this time during the pg. Last year a friend of ours was told that she had IUGR and her baby stopped growing (because of u/s results) by an OB. She had recently switched to a mw but had to follow up on something else and one thing led to another. The dr wanted to induce her on Mon. She was about 36-37 weeks or so. The mw said she was far enough along to try a home induction over the weekend. They did that and the baby was born at home weighing in at about 7.5 lbs. (That is more than 2 lbs larger than the u/s was suggesting). She is sooooo thankful that her midwife helped her get her labor started and that she was still able to birth at home. The OB was quite upset but oh well.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (12), Maya (8). 
#6 of 16 Old 11-14-2005, 12:06 PM

Let us know how it goes, I'm thinking of you and your little one!

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#7 of 16 Old 11-14-2005, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support everyone.

My last baby was just about 10 lbs, so they are not just going on just guesses. Theres a pretty good chance this baby will be big. So they do know that if its that large I can birth it. However to be honest, I'm not sure I want to. I'm really at this point leaving it up to "whatever happens, happens" and I'll certainly try my best, but these pelvic/hip pains have been so difficult to endure that I'm not sure I want to birth vaginally at all. It scares me horribly. That said, this ultrasound has nothing to do with those fears because I haven't shared any of them with my OB at all. She has no clue how I feel. She just wants the ultrasound because I'm measuring ahead. <shrug> I understand everyones concerns, and I'll let you know how it goes.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#8 of 16 Old 11-14-2005, 02:43 PM

I had a really hard time getting over my c-section because my baby was "too big". Sorry if any of those feelings came out in my post. They did not even let me labor...I am really hoping for a VBAC this time.

Alicia
#9 of 16 Old 11-14-2005, 03:34 PM

I hope the US goes well. I'm sure all is well. I do hope you can come to peace with how to birth your baby. I know first hand how hard it can be. Please feel free to PM me if you need to talk with someone who has recently been through something similar.

#10 of 16 Old 11-14-2005, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm back from my ultrasound! This babe is growing right on track for where she should be! She's currently 4 1/2 pounds, head down with her feet up by her head. (which explains the hiccups and the feet kicking in the same area!) The perientologist confirmed that it is absolutly 100% still a girl and that she looks great. My due date was probably alright being at 1/6/06 as it was originally, but because they changed it previously based on an early ultrasound to 1/12/06 they will keep it there. She said (as I already know) a week this way or that way doesn't matter too much.

Placenta looked great and bloodflow was normal. Heartrate normal. Amniotic fluid was just right. No worries so far!

I didn't get to see the baby move around much, because she was mostly taking measurements and things. I got some pictures and a video though, one picture is of her face from the front and it looks so cute. Almost like a little gorrilla. Chubby cheeks, daddys nose (I can tell already!) and so much hair! You can see it right there sticking up like a mohawk!

So, though I have my own personal things to worry about in regards to this pregnancy and labor... a huge enormous baby shouldn't be one of them. Thank you all for your support today!

#11 of 16 Old 11-15-2005, 12:00 AM

That is wonderful! Congratulations!

#12 of 16 Old 11-15-2005, 12:21 AM

I'm so glad all was well!!
#13 of 16 Old 11-15-2005, 01:38 AM

I'm so glad baby is just right! And a little envious that you got to see her, hair (wow!) and all! Did they decide you just have a lot of amniotic fluid, or what? Just curious as to what the reason for the concern was.

Glad all is well....
#14 of 16 Old 11-15-2005, 02:22 AM

I'm so glad you got the reassurance you were looking for!
#15 of 16 Old 11-15-2005, 02:24 PM

yay! You are making us excited for the US we will have this week! We will be looking for hair !
#16 of 16 Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsclt
I'm so glad baby is just right! And a little envious that you got to see her, hair (wow!) and all! Did they decide you just have a lot of amniotic fluid, or what? Just curious as to what the reason for the concern was.

Glad all is well....
Honestly? The tech was really confused as to why I was even there! She said even if I was measuring two weeks ahead, so what? She checked to make sure everything was normal, and even looked at the fluid. There was nothing that wasn't right on track. For my Jan 6th due date she said the baby was right around the 55th precentile. For my Jan 12th date, the baby was at the 65th precentile, both of which are perfectly fine! She said her best guess was that maybe the babys position is causing my uterus to stretch upwards sooner. This babe is like a jacknife down there with feet to her head, straight up and down angle.

I think she was happy to be able to give good news, considering it was a high risk office I had to go to and they don't always have good news to give there. She was perplexed at why they were so concerned, and just shrugged her shoulders and said... the baby is absolutly fine! She also told me they shouldn't be trying to change my due date now with me so far along, since thats really not accurate..and besides! Baby will be here when she gets here. She did say to not be surprised if she comes closer to Jan 6th than the 12th though.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page