I made a nursing necklace today!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-17-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I went to one of those bead jewlery shops that seem to be popping up all over the place, and I made myself a nursing necklace. I was really fun, and I really hope the baby enjoys it. I had never even heard of a nursing necklace before my last baby, but I knew I would make one for my next baby when I heard someone talking about theirs. I made mine very earthy, round speckeled jade stones, flat oval blue marble stones, sterling silver, and a large brown stone turtle in the middle. I love turtles, they bring luck to their owners. I made the stone part to seperate from a string around my neck so that it can also be worn as a bracelet, or I can take it off for the baby to play with. It turned out perfect. If you are looking for a little personal project for your new baby that is really rather simple I suggest making one of your own!!
#2 of 5 Old 11-24-2005, 12:31 PM

Jumping over from Feb.
Your nursing necklace sounds lovely! Could you explain more about Nursing Necklaces: are they for decoration to wear during nursing only, or can you use them to track nursing, which breast you last nursed nursed etc?
Quote:
I made the stone part to seperate from a string around my neck so that it can also be worn as a bracelet, or I can take it off for the baby to play with.
Could you explain this in a little more detail like what is the stone part and how does it seperate from the rest of your necklace?
Thanks, sounds fun to make one and more personal than buying.

Mama to two kiddos on the go!
#3 of 5 Old 11-24-2005, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

I made the necklace so the baby will have something to "mess" with while nursing. I am not one to enjoy nipple twiddling on the opposite breast!! What I did was basically make a bracelet. I tried to use stones and silver with different shapes and textures so it would be interesting to play with. I also have a large turtle shaped stone that hangs off the middle of the bracelet part. I had to go have it fixed actually, because my dd pulled if off the bracelet without even trying!! So, now the turtle comes off also, it attaches with a clasp that is much stronger than the ring that it had. Then, I can attach the entire bracelet to a leather strap around my neck. So, I can wear the strap, I can attach the bracelet to it, and I can attach the turtle to that. I hope that makes sense!!! It came out beautifully, and it's so versitile, I can wear the bracelet alone, with the strap, and with or without the turtle. I figure the bracelet will forever be a reminder to me of the precious time when my babe nursed. I did think about making it to remind me which side I had nursed last, but I never really had a problem keeping track of that with my first babe, so I decided not to worry about it! I will try to post a picture of it, then you will be able to get a better idea of what I mean! Basically I just looked at different designs on the internet from jewlery shops that sell them, and then I just went from there. The possibilities are endless!!
#4 of 5 Old 11-25-2005, 03:57 PM

Thanks, I get what you mean now. I think my original confusion was thinking it was a necklace that collapsed somehow to a bracelet and I was trying to imagine that but not getting it.
Anyway, I now totally get what you've done-that it's a bracelet that you can also wear on a strap around your neck. Good idea about using a separate clasp for the turtle.
I've made necklaces and bracelets before so now I get the jist. But feel free to post a photo if you want to show it off. Sounds beautiful and creative!!

Mama to two kiddos on the go!
#5 of 5 Old 11-25-2005, 04:11 PM

I love nursing necklaces, and how awesome you got to make your own! Anyway we can see a pic??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page