Birth Bead Spinoff: What does YOUR bead look like?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-17-2005, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My bead is a pearl, and it has a 'web' of pink, gold, and orange seed beads over the whole thing.

It took me a long time to choose this bead, and wen I went back to pick up the last beads I sent, I was lucky enoguh to find two packs left. I originally chose it because I thought it was kind of representing what this bead swap is:

All of us, connected to each other (both through our birth experiences and the beads).

Yellow is full of creative and intellectual energy. Yellow symbolizes wisdom. Yellow means joy and happiness. Yellow represents hollistic healing. It also represents communication.

Pink is the color of universal love. Pink is a quiet color. Lovers of beauty favor pink. Pink provides feelings of caring, tenderness, self-worth and love, acceptance. Pink represents friendship.

Orange is a power color. It stimulates enthusiasm and creativity. Orange means vitality with endurance. Lady luck's color is orange.

Also, the Orange was chosen on purpose. It is the color of the second chakra. The second chakra (located in the abdomen, lower back, and sexual organs) is related to the element water, and to emotions and sexuality. It connects us to others through feeling, desire, sensation, and movement. Ideally this chakra brings us fluidity and grace, depth of feeling, (sexual fulfillment,) and the ability to accept change. It's the chakra that coresponds with reproductrion.

The bead underneath is a pearl (not real, though!) which is my Birth Stone. What pearls represent is wisdom and sincerity.. The ragged, rough grain of sand, transformed over time slowly growing into a object of great value and beauty. With it's humble beginnings, Pearls symbolize innocence and a pure heart, and help us get in touch with the simple honest things of life. No matter how irritating, we as mothers, must turn it into a lesson. Something beautiful to learn from.

Pearls cortespond with the Solar Plexus. This chakra is known as the power chakra (located at the base of the sternum). It rules our personal power, will, and autonomy, as well as our metabolism. When healthy, this chakra brings us energy, effectiveness, spontaneity, and non-dominating power. I figured, hey, we all can use a little will power in labor!
#2 of 8 Old 12-17-2005, 03:59 PM

My beads are wood. Each one is hand-painted, by me, in earthtones. Wood is natural and strong and beautiful. The beads are round like glowing round bellies full of new life. The colors are to reflect the earth from which we all came and will eventually return to. Each bead is painted differently because every woman and every birth is unique. The designs on them are simple, because birth is simple yet amazing. We were designed to give birth, it's that simple. The colors are blue (for water), green (for growth), red (for fire), and brown (for earth).

I wrote basically that on paper and sent it with my beads but the little papers were lost with the first set of beads that I sent and our printer was broken when I sent the set that was actually recieved. I also wrote a little short one-liner affirmation at the bottom of the bead description, but they're gone *shrug*
#3 of 8 Old 12-17-2005, 05:38 PM

Awww ... these make me jealous that I couldn't participate!
Seriously. They sound wonderful!!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#4 of 8 Old 12-17-2005, 07:06 PM

My beads are white with blue wavey things all over them. They were personally special to me because the ocean is my favorite place on earth and we're decorating the baby's room with an ocean/nautical theme in blue and white. They're also fairly simple which is how I like to keep things in my life.

I also thought that the waves were a nice metaphor for labor and birth. There's something universal and ancient about the ocean that I feel is there when women give birth as well. Like water gives rise to all life and women are bringing forth life from the waters of their own body. In labor the contractions come at you steadily like ocean waves with crests and valleys. My understanding is that labor is easier if you give in and ride the waves rather than try to fight them. The key difference between the ocean and labor is that the waves in the ocean go on and on, but our labors do have an end!

I think I wrote something like that on the papers I sent so you all get to read it twice! I can't wait to get my beads after hearing all these awesome descriptions!
#5 of 8 Old 12-19-2005, 07:12 PM

My beads are pale blue faceted Swarkovski crystal. I chose them because they represented water to me and water is a powerful element in birth. It represents flow, movement and fluidity. All things that I will be focussing on through my labour. And I thought they might help other moms to focus on flowing through their contractions, too.

edited to add:

Hollin, it looks like we had the same thing in mind with our interest in representing water! Isn't that funny?

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#6 of 8 Old 12-19-2005, 07:27 PM

At the risk of sounding like a tard...

What exactly are birth beads? This sounds fascinating and like something I could really be into! I don't mean to disrupt the conversation, but I just have to know!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#7 of 8 Old 12-19-2005, 07:34 PM

Hi Holly,

Birth beads are beads strung into a bracelet or on a string and used to help moms focus during labour. We organized a birth bead swap among about 16 of us in this thread. Each of us sent beads in to Sunnylady, who graciously agreed to organized distributing them to everyone in the swap. The first post in the thread explains the concept and such.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#8 of 8 Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 PM

I'm just going to cut and paste from my description on the paper because I'm too sick and too busy to be a productive member of this thread right now. :

"I chose this flat, round, speckled red bead because it reminded me of the placenta. I hope it reminds you of the great power of creation that each of us possesses and gives you strength during your birthing time."

I think these are going to look really cool all together!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page