Weekly Check-In 12/18-12/24 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About time for these things to be daily check-ins How's everybody doing!? And just for fun: what kind of weather is everyone having? I know there are people from all over. Anybody expecting a White Christmas? Come on in and postand say hello! (I mean, really, somebody else has to post around here besides me LOL)

Namaste, Tara
#2 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 07:45 AM

I'm here ~~ darn insomnia keeps me from getting more than two hours of sleep a night. Even tried Unisom but that just made me feel drowsy and not able to sleep. *roll eyes*

Anyhoo ~ weather here (nebraska) is cold! I don't think we are going to have a white christmas, all of our snow melted with a warm streak last week. We should actually be in the 40's for Christmas weekend! Not bad!
#3 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 08:42 AM

I have my 38wk check up this week, Wed. I am BIG and finally having some bh. This is the 1st pg I haven't had bh through=out the entire pg. Odd. I am slowly getting ready for the holidays and the birth. Being this pg and our personal situation has made me much more relaxed this holiday season and I am thinking that's not a bad thing . Babe is not as jumpy as s/he has been...running out of room. I must say I am surprised that we haven't had any births yet! Linsay had her twins and that's been it. I am glad we haven't had any real preemies. I really thought we would have had some babes by now though. Hope this doesn't mean we're going to be a "late" bunch!!! I wanna go now!

I am in Atlanta so not much of a chance for the white stuff!

momma to 4!
#4 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 11:33 AM
SMR

Well, Thursday is week 39 for me! I can't believe time has gone so quickly - it seems like just yesterday I was thinking we would NEVER get pregnant!! and now mommahood is just on the horizon! I'm in my last 4 days of work - which for some reason is freaking me out a little! I'm not the type who likes working.. but now that I'm almost done, it feels weird!! People are starting to take guesses on when this lil' babe will come out... so far 12/31 is winning! I think she'll arrive between January 4 and 8th!

As for white xmas!? Oh yeah.. without a doubt!! I live in Michigan, we've got plenty of snow already!! FUN FUN!! Too bad I won't be sledding for a while!!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#5 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 11:36 AM

I'm with Cathy on the insomnia thing. I'm so tired but sleep just isn't happening for me for some reason. I have an appointment with my doctor this afternoon and then I'll start going once a week! My baby is more active lately than he has ever been before. My husband is fascinated by my undulating belly

As for weather, we got a little bit of snow/ice yesterday and people were freaking out. No one knows how to drive in weather like this here, but it's supposed to warm up again today so everything will go back to normal soon.
#6 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 12:08 PM

Hmm... well, I have a cold. And this morning, I woke up to the first bloody nose of my life. Apparently, they're pretty common in pregnancy, because of the increased blood volume, and even more likely if you have a cold, or blow your nose really hard. (Both things I did.) It was scary, but thankfully, not serious.

I'm 36 weeks today! OMG! To me, 36 weeks is FAR along... baby could come at any time! In one week, I will be full term! Eek!

Baby is moving a lot, and boy, his feet are sharp!! Midwife came for the home visit a few days ago, and told me my baby is ROA! Woohoo! No posterior babies for me! (Thank God!!) I think the baby has dropped, or something, cause last night, I had a lot of pelvic pain... shooting pains in my bladder region all the way back to my tailbone... is that what mamas mean when they say "pressure?" Cause that sucks!

I have basically no energy, and no lung capacity. And I'm still running around like crazy getting things done for Xmas. People won't recieve their gifts til after Xmas, but that's just too darn bad. My baby comes first.

As for the weather, it's crisp and sunny here, and there is snow on the ground, so things are all sparkly. Barring any warming trends, the Xmas should be white, but who knows if it'll snow again before Xmas or not... I'd like it to, I think it'd be pretty with a fresh layer on the ground.

Our Xmas plans involve lots of coziness at home... a fire, gifts on Xmas morning, and a brunch instead of Xmas dinner. And the main dish is a crockpot meal, so I can do it Xmas eve, and not have to worry about cooking all day.

I think that's all the news here... no ctx yet, or anything of that nature... I think this baby has got a good three or more weeks on the inside yet to go.
#7 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 01:05 PM

#8 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 01:40 PM

I'm 35w+2d today, and things are just chugging along. I finally bought most of my birth kit and baby stuff, so I'm pretty prepared for this baby to make his/her appearance! Just as long as it waits until the fishy pool gets here! I still have to buy a couple of Christmas gifts, but MIL is watching DD's today, so at least I'll get to do the shopping on my own. I'm planning on wrapping everything this evening, and then I am DONE with Christmas. Woohoo!!!!

The baby is doing great, rolling around and putting on a show for everyone. The only bad part is it's keeping me up all night! I finally caved last night and took some Tylenol PM. It really sucks being soooo tired and unable to sleep. I just can't get comfortable. I tried sleeping in our big comfy chair, but DD woke up and made me go back to bed, LOL. Oh well, it's not like I'll be getting a lot of rest after the baby comes out, right?

My IL's are driving me crazy. They keep saying I'm so big that I'll never carry to term, but I'm pretty sure I'll make it to term and keep going for at least a few more days. I don't mind the "You're so big!" comments, because I am pretty big and I like being big. I just hate the expectations everyone has. I'm probably being too sensitive....but my IL's have a special knack for making me nuts!

I doubt we'll have a white Christmas, although it is really cold here today. We may get a dusting of snow, but probably not any accumulation. Last year we had about 12 inches and a temperature of -7!
#9 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 02:19 PM

For those having trouble sleeping I am finding Skullcap in a glass of water before bedtime..if its too much before bed to drink a small glass of water..sip through-out the night even with a toddler getting me up all night at least the skullcap ensures I am back to sleep quickly too quickly in most cases I crash in his bed.

Had a appt with my midwife on Thursday normally at this point I would be seeing them every week buta s I am a second time Mama with no problems they are acomadating the fact that we live a 40 plus minute drive away and so I see them every two weeks.

Good news baby is still head down and now in a better postion will see the Chrio again next week sometime to have another adjustment(will do everything in my power to make labour as easy as possible thsi time around.)

Also told my midwife that we had Doula's..had been delaying telling
then until the Doula's were paid just in case...she did not seem too keen on them..its not the norm to use Doula'a and midwives here she really seemed concerned that they would interfer medically which I assured her was not going to happen.
I explained that everyone would be working to ensure that I have the best possible birth outcome and all in their own ways.

I also told her how I felt abandoned by our midwives emtionally and phyically at our last birth and wanted to ensure that it did not happen again by covering all our bases...perhaps the midwives I have now are more hands-on but I can not be sure of that until labour and I know that my Doula's will be hands-on with me..what ever it will all work out.
I told the Doula's later at our last prenantal and they said no problems they do not do medical and they would make sure that all went smoothly between the midwives and the them when the time came.

We had a snowstrorm on Friday almost 38 CM'sof snow...lucky DF did not work that day as we had not yet put on winter tires, once our building's parking lot got cleared he went and had them put on.
Had to cancel yet again our pregnancy photo's due to the strorm...rebooked for this Thursday.

My belly botton is now an outie which is odd as I was so much bigger with my first pregnancy and it never popped yet this one where I am smaller it popped.

My cat Poe which I adopted while in college(he was sent home to live with my parents when a roommate said it was either me or him as he was destroying her things)died of heart failure Friday evening..he was only 8 yrs old but the vet said it was typical of his breed..which we think was a Maine Coon Cat. He had not been well for the last week or so and so my parents took him to the vet where he was put in a H2O tent and made comfortable. My parents are devasted..they considered him their other baby(besides me)

I finally found the 0-3 month clothes and see that many are not gender specific(which is a relief) so plan on washing all the clothes we have on hand(treat all the stains) but only keep out the 0-6 months.
Then sort the rest of the clothes sized into different boxes and once the baby arrives and we know the sex, go through them and pick out what to keep and what to sell or donate.
I was really having issues with this as all the clothes we have especially the clothes for an older child are so boyish and I am having a hard time letting go of the boys wear planes and trains and basketballs.

The new apartment we were looking at is on hold until the owner has a chance to have someone come in and do an estimate on how much it would cost to get it back to a liveable condition so for now we we are first on her list of rental canidates. But I am not holding my breath on how long it will take her to get around to having the estimate done.

Christmas is coming and well we have yet to put up our tree..plan to do that Thursday or Friday.
My MIL has down it once again, she means well but does not undestand that I want my son to open some presents are our home on Christmas morning.

Other years including last year for our DS first Christmas since they do the unwrapping of the gifts on the night of the 24th we would go, wait while they attend church, have supper with them, then unwrap the gifts and then because we lived over an hour away stay overnight, get up do a brunch and then we would head out to some of my familes that live near-by for more food and gifts.
But my dream was always for my son to open his gifts from me and mine on Chirstmas morning in our own home complete with stockings etc you know my traditions.

So fast forward to this year when we live 5 minutes away...do I get Christmas morning at my place nope.

Her new plan is for DS to unwrap his gifts in the afternoon of the 24th after his nap...they go to church and we put DS to sleep there...we do the supper thing, watch the nephews unwrap their gifts and then DF and I head home while DS stays at their place, that part I love but it means that we still do not get to stay in our PJ'S on Christmas morning.
We have to get up get dressed, get packed up and go back over to their place for brunch and then head over to my extended families for the day.
So where does that leave our gifts being unwrapped under our tree yup for either that night when we get home or Boxing day morning.
Df reasoning on why its best that DS stays overnight there is while if we woke him to take him hoem its going to be a pain to get him back to sleep and we will all be tired for the next day true but then why for New Year's Eve you plan on dragging us to some strangers home(friend's of his that I do not know well)where is it going to be a big fight to get home to sleep at a reasonable hour and who knows what conditions as we have to put him in a bed and lay down with him to make him sleep and then is the room he will be in child proof doubtful and then wake him later to bring him home and guess who is going to have to be the one to deal with his sleeping problems that night ME who will be 9 days away from my EDD. I would prefer to be as well rested as possible in case labour starts.
#10 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My cat Poe which I adopted while in college(he was sent home to live with my parents when a roommate said it was either me or him as he was destroying her things)died of heart failure Friday evening..he was only 8 yrs old
So sorry about your cat!! RIP Poe

==============================
I really shouldn't be sitting here but I ordered something and needed to see if it shipped. Lo and behold, I contract as I sit and I'm even in a different chair! I've put myself on a computer hiatus until the house is super clean because if sitting realy does bring on labor, I can't have anyone over in the current condition.
I'm 36 wks 1 day today. My tub comes one week from today!!! I'm so excited about that! I'm sitting right now about 10 feet from where my tub will be this time next week! Yippee!! Baby moves a lot, especially since all this contraction action has started. I can tell she's trying to get in a good position already. GOod baby My pubic bone kills me on an hourly basis. I'm just gonna cave and say I have SPD :/ It's all good though. Tomorrow we go see the back-up OB for the last time. Kind of a bummer because he's really cute If I make it to 43 weeks, I guess I'll go see him again for NSTs and BPPs (at my own request) but chances of me making it to even 40 weeks are slim.

I have no energy and too many things to do for a person with no energy. I have cooking to do and freeze, hours of housework (including regularl cleaning in addition to more sorting and the like). Today I'm mustering whatever energy I have and doing housework because tomorrow we'll be gone all day and Wednesday our midwife comes. We're slowly getting the house cleaned and organized the way I want. The baby clothes that I washed a few days ago are sitting on a chair waiting on me to sort out a drawer for them to go in. My DH has a box of books sitting in our bedroom floor that he serously needs to move that is driving me batty. It's a huge box. Ugh. I planned to call the cleaning and organizing quits when I hit 36 weeks but it looks like the best laid plans are foiled yet again. I'll be 37 weeks on Christmas Day. Since we have no money and no gifts, I'm hoping we can at least go to church since we have't been since um...September. I'm not particularly religous or anything, I just miss the people a lot.

My mom's car got repo'd last week, which puts that church thing on the back-burner actually. In fact, her car thing really screwed up a lot for us. She's our main source of transportaiton. I was going to go have pictures made of my boys and the belly this week and now I probably won't be able to. I have to finish getting stuff for my birth...I now have to go shopping with my MIL tomorrow to do it, which wouldn't be so bad except that we have to go see the back-up OB too, which is a 35-minute trip each way. Yuck. Ah well, I'll hve all the birth stuff ready. That's so exciting to say!

My toddler has started saying "Baby stay inside...baby no come out" recently I'm not sure what to do with it. We talk about how the baby has to come out and how he will still be important and special, how I'll still hold him and read to him just like before. He is interested in the baby actually coming out still and loves the book our midwife let us borrow about a birth. Speaking of the toddler, he's holloring my name, so I have to go. If I don't post for a wihle, it's not because I'm having a baby, it's because I can't sit more than 10 minutes without having contractions. (though I know I'll be standing up to check and see when Alice has her baby!!)

Namaste, Tara
#11 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 03:19 PM

Things are going well here, thogh I feel so far behind most of you as I am only 35w4d and expect to be late. So while it's exciting to see others gearing up and even more excititng whne they actually have their babies, I don't really feel "there" yet. We had an appt with our MW on Sat, I am still measurig about 4 weeks beihind, but with regular growth increments, so just a small and low baby. If this baby really is small it will be a whole new thing for me, I have to admit I am just preparing for another DS. He was 8"11 when born and 17 pounds by three months, so he was never really tiny. It would be nice to have a lighter baby to carry around, but I don't know if I have enough small diapers and cloths! All DS old stuff is so big.......

I am having regular contractions (well regular/sporadic). I never got an internal with DS and didn't lose my plug untill almost transitin. But my labour did start with my water breaking, and immediate progresing contractions last time, so I'm curious to see if it will happen the same way again. It's interesting this time, when i have a BH I feel winded, which I never had with DS...........I'm mostly feeling well though.

My biggest problem this prenancy, and I'm sure some of you with other kids can relate, is I'm just having trouble keeping up with DS. Also having trouble enforcing anything, which of course means he is just getting a little more bratty every day, making me even more tired. I know its a bad cycle but I am having a lot of trouble breaking it. And with DH working so much I feel like I should be doing an even better job to compensate for him not being around, but just can't, and then I feel guilty etc......

I know my body is gearing up for labour though as the random crying jags have begun . So far they are about once a week, DH says if its like last time they will increase regularily and once it hits twice a day I will go into labour.

We definatly have a white christmas! I live in Winnipeg and its cold as heck here. Yesterday was -30C! It's a little better today, but man you should see how ridiculous I look in the giant oversized coat I have to wear.......

We are gearing up for christmas, I am trying to finish my shopping today and tomoro.......and then DH is done work on friday and we will start the christmas shuffle so that every relative get sto see DS! I will have everyone over here for bruch on christmas morning to watch DS open his gifts......It should be nice, I feel like at this point I can handle anything if Dh is along to help.

We spent yesterday putting together the nursery/Rohan's room. So far Rohan never had his own room and while he will still sleep with us I figured it was time for him to have a room to put all his toys and crap in, especially to keep the chokables away from the main floor. We have this loft bed which my old roomate built which is like a 6x4 platform with a latter up the side, so we added rails to the top and then put a single bed underneath to form a sort of bunk bed, of course it immediatly became DS personal climber, buthe's very excited to have his own room which is great. And having the dressers and stuff set up is finally kicking my butt to get the baby stuff together! My MW brought me the list of stuff I need for my birth kit, so I am going to try to have it mostly together by next week. Whoohoo! then I will try to stop thinking about it.........

Yikes this is a novel....sorry about that......guess maybe we should be chhecking in more often

Cheers
Heather
#12 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 03:27 PM

Oh I almost forgot, DS and I watched birth videos together over the weekend. I must say, fast forwarding through all the labour and dialogue so DS could see just the birth, after about the fifth one I had had enough! He was pretty into it, I couldn't find a single video with a woman making a lot of loud noise though! Damnit, its unrealistic for him to expect me to be all quiet and meditative like these damn super hippy tantra mama's. When he was born I HOLLERED, and I want him to know its coming, I try to prep him but he just laughts at me. But at least now he fully gets the biology part and hopefully won't be freaked by the blood or the crowning or anything. He keeps confusing the word birth with boring, and telling everyone about the baby being "boring" which is pretty funny. Hey Tara you have a two year old, are you planning on having him attend if he wants?

Heather
#13 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 03:58 PM

36 weeks and counting. My Dr. said that any time I go, I can have this baby. My husband has this uncanny 6th sense about some things and swears the baby is coming early and that it will be a girl. Who knows? I don't think that I will believe him for my own sanity. My dr. is on vacation next week and part of the week after, so if life works out the way it usually does, baby will come then. I go back in tomorrow, so we will see how everything is going.

I have only 3 pairs of pants that fit and my shirts are getting too short. I like the under the belly pants, but those are not appropriate for work ( I am up and down on the floor with kids all day). It makes for a lot of laundry during the week.

We pulled out and washed the baby clothes this weekend. It is hard to imagine that Griffin was that little. I have a hard time thinking of the "unisex" clothing as being cute on a little girl, if that is what we have. Oh well, at least this baby will have something to wear. Griffin's job after the baby comes is to go and pick out an outfit for him/her to wear home, but I packed something anyway.

I am anxious to hear when Alice has her baby. I know that I havent' posted much, but your posts have really been reassuring!

Good luck to all! I hope to hear of more babies soon!

Nena, Wife to S since 1995, mom to G (my wonderkid) since 2000 and R since 2006 (my snuggley boy who was diagnosed with mitochondrial disease in 2007)
#14 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 04:20 PM

I am 39 weeks today, and down from 5cm to 2cm thanks to incredibly painful, thrombosed hemorrhoids. I honestly have never been in this much pain in my life, and I have gone through natural childbirth, mastitis, and have chronic migraines. I haven't left the house in two days, and rarely leave the bed (where I'm laying now).
I think that once this pain lessens (should be another 1-3 days), my body will loosen up and this baby will come. Hopefully not on Xmas!
The weather here is fairly warm for this time of year, we haven't had snow yet (well, we had about 1/4" that melted within a day), and I haven't even needed mittens yet.
#15 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 05:09 PM

It is snowy and cold here -- we're on record for the coldest ever December. I'm not from here but it doesn't bother me as it meets my expectations of a Cleveland Christmas. Little boy has a cold today so we've just been lying around, watching videos and knitting! This is good because I am in a knitting panic to get stuff mailed tomorrow, other stuff done for Sunday and then on to the baby knitting! The only gifts I bought are for ds so there isn't much to wrap or do otherwise. I had offered to have Christmas dinner as the ILs bowed out, but luckily SIL offered. Bless her.

I have a chiro appt next Tuesday (just to get the hips in line) and then my home visit on Wednesday. The mw that will be assisting won't be able to make it (she wasn't free until January and I feel that that is pushing it this time) but I'm not concerned -- they're the same two who were here with ds. I do feel that this wee babe will be earlier than ds (he was born 1 day after his due date) and so am trying to be ready whenever it happens.
#16 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 05:09 PM

39 weeks here and the u/s Friday confirmed that baby is head down and ready to go! Yippee! And no longer posterior! Glad this little one has decided to turn
I've had some contractions on and off for the last few days with lots of pressure. Maybe baby engaging.
A very busy week ahead full of Christmas activities so this week should fly by. Its hard to believe I only have a week to go before my due date.
We have tons of snow here and should have a white Christmas for sure!
#17 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 05:17 PM

I'm 34 weeks today and I don't think I can stand another 6! I'm trying like crazy to talk my husband into an unassisted hb but so far no luck...there may be hope afterall because my sister is flying from British Columbia on the 19th of Jan. to help us have this babe...I just have to keep educating him and hopefully he'll come around. And I have to keep this baby in until the 20th. My due date is the 30th sooooo as long as the doctors don't try and scare me into an induction(I'm diabetic and they may think baby is too big) and as long as my "irritable uterus" doesn't put me into labor early then there's no reason why I can't hold on till my darlin' little sister gets here.(She helped me deliver my two older sons and I helped her deliver her son 6 yrs ago).All our boys will be present at this birth too so it really is very special.
Christmas is coming too fast, it's hard for me to do any shopping (because of my bitchy uterus) and I am in nesting mode; a million things to do;the motivation to do it but physically incapable!! What a bummer... so I cry alot out of frustration with my body and I find myself being very bossy and having alot of high expectations on my dh and ds's. I know this isn't fair to them...I just don't know what else to do. . Anyway all I can do is try to have the best possible Christmas and to give my kids a wonderful Christmas too.
Thank God(ess) I discovered these forums, it's like having a new best friend! My dh is so shocked I'm on the computer, I'm sure he is a little jelous because I don't ever do this! I'm glad though because it has helped me ten-fold in all sorts of ways. I'm sure you know what I mean. Thanks. And Merry Christmas

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
#18 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 05:35 PM

Doing great here. The one thing that's new for me this time is prodromal labor. So far, I've had three sessions of what, during either of my first two labors, would have been "real" contractions. Yet, they've lasted for 3-4 hours and then gone away. I think they may be prompted by the baby being SO low and also being aggressive down there. My cervix feels bruised.

My mw estimates the baby at 7.5 lbs (just by feeling its body). That sounds right, since my last two were 8-9+ lbs at birth. I kind of wish it would just come out so I could push out a 7+lber rather than a 9-10 lb babe, but I also hope the baby stays until its due date, when my mother will be here to help with the older dds.

Usually I am amazed at how great I am feeling right at the end of a pg. I've even been sleeping well, although I was up most of the night thinking/dreaming about labor. I guess my mind is really getting ready for it.

Go Alice!!! And to those of you who celebrate Christmas, Merry Christmas!!

Emily
#19 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 05:59 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchamama
Oh I almost forgot, DS and I watched birth videos together over the weekend. I must say, fast forwarding through all the labour and dialogue so DS could see just the birth, after about the fifth one I had had enough! He was pretty into it, I couldn't find a single video with a woman making a lot of loud noise though! Damnit, its unrealistic for him to expect me to be all quiet and meditative like these damn super hippy tantra mama's. When he was born I HOLLERED, and I want him to know its coming, I try to prep him but he just laughts at me. But at least now he fully gets the biology part and hopefully won't be freaked by the blood or the crowning or anything. He keeps confusing the word birth with boring, and telling everyone about the baby being "boring" which is pretty funny. Hey Tara you have a two year old, are you planning on having him attend if he wants?

Heather
I know what you mean. I liked the "nice" birth videos as an introduction but today I asked my midwife specifically for a video in which the momma makes some noise! It is what I am most nervous about since Kayla seems really sensitive to anything that makes noise. To her noise is often equated as scary.

Had my mw appt today, I am a little over 35 weeks. I haven't gained any weight in a while which strikes me as odd. mw not concerned though. I have gained 30 total, just nothing recently. Baby measuring right on, bloodwork looking good. I am always concerned with not getting the tub set up in time to use it and this week mw said that none of her other patients that are due around me even want her to bring the tub so she is letting me have it in two weeks--she will bring it at the home visit. The tub is a big deal for me so that made me very excited.

Really wish dh and I could agree on a name. I still think this baby will be nameless for a while. That sucks, I like to have a name right away. Not sleeping well either but at least I can fall asleep. I am just up every two hours. Baby is LOA and settled so I am happy. I expect a quick labor/delivery. My parents are going out of town Jan 10-19. I would love to have the baby on Jan 18th or 19th. That way, they would already be on their way back home but wouldn't be here. They want to know when I go into labor but I know that my mom still has a hard time with the homebirth so I would like her to be unreachable--like on a plane. That way she wouldn't have to worry and I wouldn't worry about her. Although to be honest I don't think I will worry about her -- unless she thinks about dropping by!

I spoke with my mw about taking one of the birth tinctures around. She is fine with it as long as I wait until 37 weeks. They aren't supposed to induce labor, but just in case I would like to be able to stay at home still. Several people I know think that the tincture made a big difference in their births. I don't know. My last birth was quick and simple--just 10 days post date. I don't want the baby to come too early, we have lots of plans this next month, but it would be nice to be at least NEAR the due date.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#20 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 06:02 PM

I am thirty six weeks and every time I have to pee now it gives me Braxton Hicks contractions.... was up late last night, but probably because of coffee in the a.m.
#21 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 07:29 PM

It's great to see how you're all doing!

The weather here on the BC west coast is kind of balmy. Lots of wind but it's pleasantly warm after a few days of clear skies and just below freezing temps. Yeah, I know. I'm totally spoiled, weather-wise. That's why we moved to the Coast!

I'm at 38w5d right now. Will be 39 weeks on Wednesday. I'm not feeling any "signs" or anything. Just an increase in my B-H contractions, and I'm feeling those more intensely than I used to. But no regularity or anything. Carys is moving well, more wriggling now than kicking. She's head down facing to my right with her little feet "tickling" my right side ribs on a regular basis. She engaged about 2 weeks ago which made my life much more pleasant. Put an end to my chronic heartburn and gave me an appetite. I've gained about 5 pounds in the last 4 weeks or so, which is a good thing. I haven't been gaining a lot through this pregnancy. Maybe 15 pounds to date. So a little extra padding is welcome.

I quit working a week earlier than planned. My S-I joint just couldn't take the hour commute, the office chair, the having to walk too far to the bathroom, the copy room, just about everywhere. Since I quit working I've felt SO much better. That last week, just getting ready for work would have me in tears of frustration because I was overtired, clumsy and emotional. Now I just help Relic get ready in the mornings and then go back to bed to relax. Heh.

My pelvis is still giving me a lot of problems and I really pay when I overdo it. So my physical activity has been pretty limited. I want to clean my house from top to bottom but I can't so I've had to let that go. I've satisfied my nesting instincts by reorganizing the baby clothes a half dozen times and packing and repacking the hospital bags. Heh.

Overall, I'm not feeling like she's coming out any time soon. Of course I have no idea what she's going to do but the way I'm feeling right now, I'm not in a hurry to get her out. She'll come when she comes and I'm good with that. I don't know if I'll still be feeling that way on my due date, though!

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#22 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 09:37 PM

I'm 34 weeks now. I feel like I still have a ways to go. My midwife will be in the Bahamas for 4 days while I'm 37 weeks, so I'm hoping this baby holds out until she gets back. My DS was born at 38 weeks, so I might cut it close! The OB will be there if the MW can't make it, but I'd rather have my MW.

My pelvic pain is steadily improving with each chiro visit. I highly recommend chiro care for anyone experiencing this pain (I know ther's a lot of us!). I actually went for a 2 mile walk on Saturday!

I'm not sure if I'm starting to nest, or if I just want everything to look nice when people come over on Christmas. Either way, my house is looking better, and my DH likes to dote on me when I'm pregnant, so I can get him to do lots of stuff for me!

There probably won't be a white Christmas here either. It was about 50 today, although we did get some ice last week.
#23 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Look at all the people posting! Where have you all been!?! I've been cluttering up the board almost by myself lately.

Quote:
Hey Tara you have a two year old, are you planning on having him attend if he wants?
Yes, he will be there. We watch birth videos a lot. I pretend birth a lot too. I make labor noises and pushing noises and we talk about it a lot. My midwife lent us a book called "Mom and Dad and I Are Having A Baby" that he absolutely adores! We read it at least once a day. It is very graphic and very cool. It's a homebirth and it's written so that it can be read to either a small child or an older child. We've wtached all kinds of videos, including the birth of his big brother. We look at birth photos a lot and I tal about the baby coming out daily. So far, he wants to be there, he wants to help cut the cord and asks about holding Rythm (which he says more like "Ribbon") My mom will be watching him at the birth so that if he gets upset, he can leave. When I throw up, it sounds strangely like when I'm in labor (the moaning and such I mean, not the actual vomiting part -- sorry for TMI) so he's been hearin gme do that for a long time. As of a few days ago, he started syaing he wants the baby to not come out, but then later he'll ask about the baby coming out and holding him/her. He asks if I'm okay a lot too, which gives me a great opportunity to talk to him about how when I'm labor, sometimes it will sound like I am not okay, but I will be okay, I'm just working hard to have our baby. His big brother will be at the birth too to help talk to him, which is super cool. The other night Big Brother read the midwife's book to my toddler, which was beautiful to watch and listen to I think I've done about all I can to prepare him for the birth...between videos, books (various kinds), and practice labor, I don't think there's much else I can do. I'm looking forward to him being there.

I don't know how long it took me to write all that but I only had one ctx during Then again, I stood up to write part of it LOL Darn computer addiction...

Namaste, Tara
#24 of 30 Old 12-20-2005, 12:47 AM

Hey all! Thought I would pop in

I am 39 weeks tomorrow. Last Tuesday, I had to pee in the early morning (3:am) and my mucus plug came out!!! Yay!! I was expecting contractions, or something (even though I knew it could be weeks before I have this baby), but nothing happened . Then, on Sunday morning, there was blood when I wiped. I know that SOMETIMES that can mean labor within 48 hours. I called the hospital and they told me to come in, but I was only 1 cm when they checked me.

As of today I am still having bloody mucus, but no contractions at all.

I have my c-section scheduled for Wednesday afternoon (the baby is STILL breech). At this point, we believe that I may have a septated cervix or uterus which is causing the baby to not go vertex. This baby has NEVER been straight up and down, either way. He always points toward either hip, or is transverse.

We will not be having a white Christmas, unless it is foggy that day . WE are at 700 feet, and the weather is in the 40s normally. Today I think it was in the upper 60s. People were wearing shorts, and I was burning up!!!!

Does anyone know if I have to do something different to breastfeed a baby after c-section? I have made it clear that the baby is not to be formula fed at all, and if he is given water it needs to be by syringe or spoon. I am worried that it might be harder to breastfeed this baby after major surgery. Advice would be great!
#25 of 30 Old 12-20-2005, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Emily -- a c/s baby can nurse while youa re still on the operating table, you just have to demand it Usually they come out, they are taking to a warming table to be suctioned...and then they can come straight to you. They can weigh and meausre them as well, but they really can come to you right away, barring any funky complications. Other than that, put baby to breast as soon after surgery as possible. C/s babies sometimes take a little longer to nurse...i.e. with natural vaginal babies, we like to say "put baby to breast within the first hour", with medicated vaginal babies, we give them 1-2 hours, and with c/s babies, we give them 2-3 hours. This does not mean they need anything else in that time, though hospitals are very quick to give them water or formula or whatever. Newborns don't really come out hungry as much as they come out wanting to suck. Something else about nursing post-op: Cradle hold and pillows will be your friends. Cradle hold is good anyway because it give you a good view of baby and your nipple, but after surgery, it's pretty much gold because you don't put baby across your incision site. When putting baby across your belly, always use pillows (which you'll do anyway whenever you laugh or sneeze or cough for a while) Nursing laying down (on your side) is great too. It's not much harder to nurse after a c/s than anything else. IF you are in pain, there are safe painkillers you can take. It's a little harder to find positions, but it can indeed be done. Moms who have c-sections are more likely to bottlefeed (breastmilk or formula) because of the discomfort associated with holding baby, so having good support around you is essential if you are having any issues at all. Hope that helps!

Namaste, Tara (who is really sick of standing up to type )
#26 of 30 Old 12-20-2005, 11:19 PM

Tara did a good job of saying everything that I've learned about nursing after a c-section! I just wanted to add that I was a c-section baby and my mom was able to nurse me while she was being wheeled to the recovery room. I'm sure it will take a little more work in the early days, but you can do it! Good luck!
#27 of 30 Old 12-21-2005, 12:18 PM

I had a c-section and nursed for 3 years. My milk came in on day 3.

Alicia
#28 of 30 Old 12-22-2005, 03:15 AM

Hi there -- haven't been too active on here besides lurking, but since I'm up I thought I'd give you my data...
I think I'm 38 wks -- was 2-3 cm dilated 2 weeks ago when mw checked and 80% effaced and I lost the plug 2 Saturdays ago . . . and I'm still "hanging in there" (as I say to my co-workers a thousand times a day) -- tonight I was having especially painful/uncomfortable baby movements and contrax every 15 minutes so I thought I'd get up to really time them. They've stopped altogether. I think I'm too prepared now. Anywho, can't sleep worth a darn and my 2 year old has decided she's the boss of everyone and if she doesn't get her way or if someone doesn't understand her, she throws a major major fit. Everyone says she's sensing baby coming, but I don't buy it. I think she's just hit a testing stage. And boy, is she testing. So, another mw appt. tomorrow am -- don't know if she'll be interested in "checking" but with somewhat regular contrax tonight, I might be interested in having her do it. My last labor was really fast (although I ended up pushing for almost 4 hours -- her head has almost sideways) and I don't want to have a highway baby trying to make it to the hospital...(see Dec 2005 board -- re: Kelly's baby...) I don't know -- we'll see how I feel tomorrow. Oh yeah, my sis had her baby via c/s yesterday -- everyone is fine (although I haven't seen them because I wasn't allowed to travel) but the placenta was on top of the baby and doc said it was a good thing they c/s because of that and besides her pelvis is funkily formed . . . ok - whatever. I'm just happy that they're both healthy. I'm going to attempt to fall asleep now. Wish me sleepy vibes! :yawning:
#29 of 30 Old 12-22-2005, 05:56 AM

Wow! What wonderful updates! It is so nice to be able to "hear" how everyone is doing.

All is well here! I am having a little insomnia tonight (and last night...) so this is a quiet time to catch up.

Here is my scoop: I have had quite a lot of edema recently and my hemoglobin is low so my energy hasn't been great. I am a teacher so feeling worn out is par for the course at this time of year. Yesterday was my last day and although I will really miss my kids, it was time for me to stop. DH helped me move out of my classroom so now I can focus on getting things organized here at home. We have been painting and reorganizing so it looks like a bomb went off around here. I haven't decorated for Christmas yet but the first floor is basically back together now so let the nesting begin!

DH is anxious for me to pack my hospital bag and I am not sure if I am in denial that labour is just around the corner (I am 37 wks 3 days) or if things have just been too chaotic to deal with it. Alas, I have started my list of what to pack.

Our MW is coming for a home visit tomorrow. I am embarassed by the state of the house, but I am excited too as she has been away so it will be lovely to catch up.

We are hosting Christmas this year (yes, I am more than a little nuts) and although it is just a few days away, I am just going with the flow. Isn't it amazing how having a baby gives life perspective?

My precious little one is also running out of room. Movements are definitely more wriggly than kicking. I am still so enjoying being pregnant that I think that I will really miss this special time we have together.

We already have snow but it is supposed to be very mild this weekend so a White Christmas is anybody's guess.

Wishing everyone the best during this last stretch and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

joy.gifUnitarian Universalist Family:  fairy.gif06 & guitar.gif08

#30 of 30 Old 12-22-2005, 12:08 PM

I'm about 38 weeks now. I just went to the OB yesterday and I'm not dilated, not effaced, nothing. She started talking inducing and I'm not happy about that. I've told her all along that I do not want to be induced. If I had known how induction happy she is I wouldn't have gone with her in the first place. My EDD isn't until Jan 6 but I really don't know when I conceived, I had gotten lazy with charting. But I think it's possible that she may not have my EDD right. And good grief, it's perfectly normal for a baby to be up to 2 weeks "late." So I think she's set an induction date for Jan 12 because that's the latest I could get her to put it off. I really don't know why she's in such a hurry. I've told her DD was 8 lbs 13 oz and I had no trouble pushing her out. And she keeps saying that this baby is still a whole lot smaller than that, which makes me think he may just not be ready to be born yet. GRR.... If I have other kids I'm not going to this lady again I don't think.

Sorry about the venting but I just feel a little frustrated. Anyway, everything else is going well. I have loved reading everyone else's posts. We're supposed to have 70 degree weather here today which is crazy because it snowed a little last week (nothing stuck but it still snowed!) So I think I'm going to take DD to the park today.

Well, DD's getting wild so I'd better go.

Ashley

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page