What to get a doula in training? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-19-2005, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I may have posted this a while ago, but as this baby is fast approaching this question is reappearing. We are our doula's second birth and want to get her something, but I am not sure what. I have thought of a bookstore gift card, but wanted to do something more personal maybe. Anyone have any fabulous ideas? MamaTara what do you think?

Nena, Wife to S since 1995, mom to G (my wonderkid) since 2000 and R since 2006 (my snuggley boy who was diagnosed with mitochondrial disease in 2007)
#2 of 4 Old 12-19-2005, 05:42 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Is there anything that may make a good addition to her birth kit. Before I got pg I had been working on my certification too and would have loved something new for my birth kit. What is your budget? I would have like a rebozo or even one of the rolling pins that are hollow so I could fill with something cold or hot. A rice bag with covers that can be cleaned. . . or a cool doula shirt/sweatshirt. I like advocacy shirts.

As far a something more personal. . .how about a journal. I have been so moved by each birth that I have attended that I felt the need to journal it.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 4 Old 12-19-2005, 07:05 PM

Tara would say to get a gift certificate to a restaurant. It was her favorite gift. I say I like the advocacy shirt idea. I got one that said "Doula" on it for my births, so people knew who I was, and I think that would be a great gift for a new doula. You know, I would have appreciated a card that said "We really appreciated you" more than anything, I think.
#4 of 4 Old 12-19-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
Tara would say to get a gift certificate to a restaurant. It was her favorite gift.
You know me so well
Yes, the restaurant gift certificate was my favorite actual gift. I've received all kinds of things. More valuable to me than the gifts though are the cards I have received. Even the moms that I never did get to do a follow-up with, some sent cards and they all made me cry. The gifts are nice, but, the words are priceless. For actual gifts, I recommend gift certifcates to restaurants and book stores, advocacy items are fantastic (I've received some of those as well). How well do you know your doula? What types of things does she like? If you don't know her really well personally, what kind of vibe does she give off? That will help. If she's really high-strung, maybe some relaxation gifts And remember, its the though that counts. If she's worth her salt, the best gift you can give her is one you wil have already given her: inviting her to your birth. I say that in every card I write to my moms -- I tel them what an honor it was to attend their birth and thank them for the privelage of being there.

Namaste, Tara

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page