He's here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2006, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ian James was born on Dec. 30th at 10:56pm. He was 8lbs 12 oz and 21 inches long. I am typing with one hand as he is nursing like a champ!! I went into labor at 1am or so that morning, we went to the hospital at around 4am. I was making good progress and my water broke spontaneously around 8 am. My progress then slowed quite a bit, but it did keep going. Around 3 pm I was at 6 cm, which is where I got stuck with Gracie. Two hours later I was still 6 cm, and I started to get worried. I spent a lot of time in the shower and James and I started discussing what to do if things stopped. I finally agreed to some pitocin to see if that would pick things up and get us past the hump. I was almost completely effaced so we knew if we could just get some dialation again things would move fast. I was on the pit for about 3 more hours and things were super intense. I was in agony and figured I had to be near transition. I hadn't been checked in quite awhile, so I asked to be checked. I was still at 6 cm!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it, and neither could James. We discussed our options, the last thing I could do was have an epidural and see if that would calm me down and help things move. It was getting towards 10 pm, and I was exhausted from the pit. We talked things through again, between contractions, and I decided that it was time for an epidural. We decided while they were preping for that to go ahead and talk to our doctor about doing another c/s. I had dreaded ever getting to that point, however once we got there I was ready. I had honestly tried every last thing I could to get things going. We had an awesome nurse who was a huge advocate for natural birth, had 3 naturally herself, and she gave us all the support and advice in the world during labor. Our doctor had been awesome, totally supportive, only mentioning pit and drugs once it became obvious I had plateaued. So, we decided to go ahead with the surgery and he was born shortly thereafter. He was still at -1 station and had very little molding to his head. They also said his shoulder was stuck and that he may have eventually turned and released, but there's no sure way of knowing. He had apgars of 8 & 9 and was in recovery with me and nursed right away. Everyone did everything that was on our birth plan and it was actually a wonderful experience. We got everything we wanted except the vaginal birth. We were treated great and were hugely supported. I feel so much better after his birth than I did after Gracies and it was actually a really healing experience. One thing I am going to look into is my tailbone being a problem. I broke it as a child, and I am wondering if it somehow plays a part in babies not progressing through my pelvis. It is absolutly killing me from labor!! My doctor said in 10 years of practice she has never had someone have their waters break, and then space out contractions and get to the exact same place where their dialation stopped in another labor and not progress. She said I was a very interesting case!!!

So, that's that!!! We are home tonight and enjoying getting to know Ian. Gracie refers to him as "tiny baby" and is being so sweet to him.

Good luck to all of you who are coming due this month, can't wait to read your stories!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 PM

Aww, congrats!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:25 PM

Yay! Glad your birth was so wonderful and healing for you! Welcome to the world Ian!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:27 PM

WOHoooo! Welcome little one!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:59 PM

Congratulations Alice! Welcome Ian!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:10 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, MAMA!!!
I love his name!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:34 PM

Congratulations!!!! yay!!!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 01-01-2006, 11:01 PM

Congratulations! Welcome baby Ian!

Nena, Wife to S since 1995, mom to G (my wonderkid) since 2000 and R since 2006 (my snuggley boy who was diagnosed with mitochondrial disease in 2007)
Old 01-01-2006, 11:04 PM

Oh Alice...congratulations on your little boy Ian!!! I have been thinking and thinking of you and praying that you were doing O.K.!! I'm so glad you had a healing experience and even though you didn't get your vbac, it all worked out with a beautiful, healthy baby and a happy Mommy! I feel so proud of you!
All my love, Angela

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 11:12 PM

Alice, congratulations! I am so glad that you were happy with your birth experience and that you are holding your wonderful little boy. Happy Babymoon to all of you!
Old 01-01-2006, 11:20 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Congratulations! I wish you a speedy recovery and a fabulous new year!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 01-02-2006, 12:29 AM

EEEEP!!!! I logged on, saw your post, and couldn't get it to open fast enough!! CONGRATULATIONS ALICE!!!!!!! Welcome to the world sweet boy. Happy Babymoon to everyone, and here's to a wonderful recovery as well

Namaste, Tara
Old 01-02-2006, 02:06 AM

Congratulations, Alice!!!!! Welcome to the world Baby Ian! You sound so happy.....have a wonderful babymoon!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:43 AM

Congratulations!! So glad that things are good for you and your family!!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:24 AM

Yea! I am so excited for you and your new little one!!! I too am glad you are at peace with your birth experience. Sometimes things just don't go as we would wish them, but they do tend to happen the way we need them to. Make sense? Welcome Ian! Enjoy your babymoon.
Kathy

momma to 4!
Old 01-02-2006, 03:38 PM

Yay! I'm so happy for you! I'm glad your birth was a healing experience, even though it didn't go as planned.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:38 PM

I'm just thrilled for you Alice. I'm glad you had such a wonderfully supportive team of people surrounding you as you made all those decisions about the birth. Have a wonderful baby moon with Ian and I wish you speedy healing from your C-section.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

Old 01-02-2006, 04:34 PM

Congratulations Alice.

Welcome Ian!
Old 01-02-2006, 04:40 PM

Congratulations Mama!

Pac NW : mum to one amazing wonderboy - 3 1/2 :
Old 01-02-2006, 06:16 PM

Congratulations to your whole family.
Glad that the birth was a healing experience for you.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:28 PM

Congrats, Alice!!!! Enjoy your little boy!!! . I am glad this experience was healing for you!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:11 AM

congrats on your boy, and I am glad you had a good experience despite the section. Sounds like you have a very supportive crew! Wish more hospitals were like yours.....
Old 01-12-2006, 12:11 PM

Hooray!! I'm so happy for you. I wanted to name our little-boy-to-be Ian but have been outvoted....
Enjoy your first few magical days!

User Tag List