If I'm still pregnant Wednesday, should I... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
go against my big ol' desire to avoid all internals and have my midwife check me? I'm really suckin' at doing it myself and I'm getting incredibly curious. I'm not the type to get upset if I'm not dilated or anything, I'm really just curious as heck! My DH, well, he thinks its foreplay, so I count him out I'm not a huge fan of vag checks, but darnit, I just wanna know! Ugh. I'm torn. Somebody decide for me, you have basically three days

Namaste, Tara
#2 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 03:20 AM

Nahhh, don't do it - curiosity killed the cat.
#3 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 03:22 AM

I say "go for it"! I know it doesn't mean much but I always like to know what's going on down there ~ I do self-checks too and it's also nice to know if what i think is going on is what my midwife thinks is going on !

So my vote is ~ yes ~ get checked!
#4 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 08:09 AM

oooh that's a hard one. I too am very curious and was just wondering myself if I will be checked when I go on Wed. I think if you would be fine with hearing "zero" or "6cm", etc than it wouldn't hurt to know. If you feel like you would be disappointed by some certain numbers than I wouldn't do it. You know they don't really mean anything, so I don't think it would bother you. Ok, my rambling way of saying "why not".

momma to 4!
#5 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 11:16 AM

I say let "mr. foreplay" do it.... . If he's anything like my dh it may be just what he needs!(even if it doesn't lead to anything else)
Seriously...just get checked...we know you wanna...

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
#6 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 11:36 AM

If it won't dissapoint you at all, do it! I know I submitted to my first one already because curiosity was killing me.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#7 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 02:58 PM

I agree.. if hearing zero won't bother you, then do it. Personally, I'm rather curious about your cervix too!
#8 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 03:10 PM

Don't do it. When I was pregnant with both my boys, I had my midwives check me the same day I delivered. I was at a zero or 1 both times. I delivered the same day w/both.
It was just too disappointing to hear that all my contractions were for nothing. It didn't even matter anyway, seeing as how I delivered that day!
#9 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 03:28 PM

I have a apontment wed to and I am debateing the same thing. unfortunitly my MW is out of town so her partner will be doing the apontment, and I have never seen her before, she may insist on doing one, there other partner insisted on doing one ever time after 35 weeks with my ds, needless tpo say I am not seeing her this time. I am considering being check becuse i dont whant to go into labor this week, not only is MW out of town but DH is also out of the state, so I am hoping for a zero, but if its more I may freek out even more about going into labor, or it my cause my membranes to weeken before thay would have if I had skiped the exam. But I would say you should go for it, you are ready.

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
#10 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 05:26 PM

as long as you don't care what they say then go for it. but if you have some sort of expectation then don't, because you may be disappointed.
#11 of 17 Old 01-02-2006, 09:53 PM

Well, there are risks such as infection to internals and they REALLY don't tell you anything (I checked myself and was 0 but was holding DS 3 hours later...) so I wouldn't do it. I would poke around myself or let DH, though, because the risk of infection is the same as sex, YK?
#12 of 17 Old 01-03-2006, 03:15 AM
XM

Well, from here I say do it, because I am curious as to what they will say!

But if it was for myself, I would say no, just because where the MW would say I was at was inevitably less progress then I had thought I had made and I'd get totally bummed out, even if I thought I wouldn't

LOL I say let DH check you, if he treats it like foreplay that will just get you even looser and more ready for baby to come!
#13 of 17 Old 01-04-2006, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

ARGGHH!! Midwife comes in three hours and I still haven't decided. I so need people to make decisions for me I know all about the risks of infection and everything and it really won't bug me to know I've made no progress so I'm leaning towards having it done becaus I'm sooo curious...but curiosity did kil the cat and and and and...
Will she cave and have it done? Or will she stick to her no-vag-checks soapbox and forgo it?? Stay tuned!!

Namaste, Tara
#14 of 17 Old 01-04-2006, 01:19 PM

You're gonna do it. That's my vote. You're too curious not to.

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
#15 of 17 Old 01-04-2006, 02:31 PM

Do it! Do it!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#16 of 17 Old 01-04-2006, 02:37 PM

I vote yes too since I let myself be checked. If there's no change you can say, "that doesn't mean anything anyway". If you're dilated and effaced yoiu can say "at least all these contractions aren't for naught!"
#17 of 17 Old 01-05-2006, 10:59 PM

Sooooooooooooooooooo, Did You???????????????

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page