winifred caitlin's birth story- pics added - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-15-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has taken me a full week to get this out. I have been trying to process it all....that and 4 kids keeps me a bit busy!! I just took my 1st nap since she was born!!!

After a false start on Wed where I progressed to 4 cm and stopped I felt like a walking time bomb. Saturday we walked for the better part of 4 hours!! I went to bed thinking that if that didn't do it nothing would. I did ask my baby to consider coming out the next day as my DAd would be home and able to help with the other 3 and it would nicely complete our circle. Her oldest brother was supposed to come Jan 8, but was 7 weeks early. It felt right that she should come on that day.

Sun Jan 8 I was awoken at 4:30 with a very intense contraction. I was going to just go back to sleep but something told me to get up. I went and sat on the couch and was feeling very shivery. By 5 I knew this was real. I called my Mom to come stay with the others and then woke dh. He laughs that I let him sleep in "one more time". Truth was he is kinda loud and I didn't want him to wake the kids! My mom arrived around 6 and off we went.

The hospital was about 45min away. I kept asking him to stop during contractions....notreally possible on the expressway! I did make him stop at red lights and stay through contractions. Bumps are very uncomfortable during contractions! We got there, did the 20min test strip, got settled. The room was kept very dim and we were left alone. The nurse we had was amazing!! She was so calm, peaceful, and respectful of what we were doing. I feel like we got as close to a homebirth as we could with our birth team. Iwas checked about 45 min after we got there and was 8cm!! I knew I was transitioning in the car....don't rec it. The mw was there when we needed her. I asked for her once just for a calming measure and again when I thought I should push. I was fine until it was time to push. I hadbeen dreading that part and had some fear. Why I don't know. I had done this3 times before. I fought this stage really hard this time. I tried not pushing, I ranted and wanted to just leave my body. I could not give in to it. I know this is why I pushed longer with her than my last 2!! I pushed for 30 min. I watched her head emerging and then I had to shut my eyes to concentrate and PUSH. God the relief of that head! Then the shoulders and body slid out in a hot rush. My wonderful husband got to catch her little body. He cried like a baby. He who was afraid of having a girl. He shouted with joy "it's a girl". I fell in love a little bit more right then. She was out and perfect in every way.

Cait was eventually weighed, 7lbs 12oz! This made us laugh. I guess my uterus has a timer: it's Sunday, baby is 7 12oz, out. My last 3 babes were born on Sundays and all weighed 7lbs 12oz!!! Weird.

My Mom and Dad brought our boys up to meet their new sister. They all adore her and she never wants for arms to hold her. Our family is complete.

I think that covers it. My water never broke until pushing, but that is how all my births have gone. Midwife was amazing. We feel out family is complete, but there is a part of me that is sad that we will not be doing this again. I am just trying to savor every bit of Cait as a newborn. Ahhhh the hormones.

Time to nurse!!

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbNnDJi4ZOXyg

hope the pic link works- I think you have to cut and paste.

momma to 4!
#2 of 9 Old 01-15-2006, 05:47 PM

beautiful! Thank you for sharing!
#3 of 9 Old 01-16-2006, 01:06 AM

What a great birth story! Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!
#4 of 9 Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

What a great birth story!!!! I am so excited for you and your family!

ETA: How cool is it that all your babes were born on Sunday with the same birthweight!!!!!
#5 of 9 Old 01-16-2006, 04:42 AM

Congrats on your new little girl!
#6 of 9 Old 01-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Wow! How wonderful for your family. Congratulations and happy pink!
#7 of 9 Old 01-17-2006, 06:50 PM

Congrats!
#8 of 9 Old 01-17-2006, 11:27 PM

Mmmm....your birth story brought tears to my hormonal eyes, especially the part about DH crying. She is absolutely beautiful, Kathy! Who is the photographer in your family? Wonderful photos!! Also, I think maybe I've seen you before in Charlotte. You really look familiar. I will soon post a photo of us and see if you feel the same way.

Oh, and your feelings about pushing are exactly like mine. But I resisted much longer, and pushed for 2.5 hours (!) this time. I still am not sure where my fear came from, almost like when I was little and was more scared of the diving board after going off once or twice. Interesting.

Glad you are enjoying that sweet girl so much!!

Emily
#9 of 9 Old 01-19-2006, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Emily- I am anxious to read your birth story! I LOVE to take pics of my kids. When everyone is school age I wAnt to take some photog classes as I really enjoy it. Thanks for your kind words.

I would be surprised if we HADN'T met in Charlotte as the AP circle is pretty small (but really great) there. I used to go to the Matthews LLL meetings and sometimes the Arboreteum ones.

This little girl is so sweet and easy! Hope you are adjusting to 3 and all is going well (I want pics!). Interesting on the pushing part. 2.5hours?! Wow! I am hurting for you! I am wanting to talk to my mw about it and see what her thoughts are. I don't go back until 6 weeks pp. Cait is calling........
k

momma to 4!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page