Bath question from FTM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, no, baby's not here yet, but I was wondering about bathing once kiddo does show up.

When the umbilical stump falls off, and it's time to start giving baby a bath, do you HAVE to have one of those big ol' plastic tubs to bath them? I heard way back at 6 months about someone saying they're a waste of space, but never heard what the alternative was that they used. I have a rather shallow kitchen sink so was hoping to bath baby there (that's what my mom did) and also, DH takes baths every night so thought that he could take baby for a few minutes and hold it for bath with him (with my help.) I read an awesome post recently about someone who takes a bath with her baby and breastfeeds it there. Is that something that could be done in younger infancy or shouldn't be tried till later. Do babies usually pee/poop when getting a bath or is that an individual thing?

Funny, my mom never had one of those plastic bathtubs, but she was like "you need to get one of those" when we saw them. I refused on the grounds that it was HUGE and more money than I wanted to pay and I had no place to put it when we weren't bathing. Seemed like a waste of resources, money and space.

Let me know when you get a chance. Oh, and if you have any leftover labor vibes, I could really use them!

Messianic mama to 3 boys, C (4 yrs), E (22 mths), B (newborn)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 03:25 PM

We did use the baby bathtub with my DS, and then when he was a little older (6 weeks or so) I started bathing in our regular tub with him (most times that was the only way for me to get a bath!) I had a c-section, so there was no way I could have bathed with him those first few weeks.

My mom also used the kitchen sink method....I think that's perfectly fine as long as you wash it out well ahead of time. You can also plop a towel right in there for added cushioning. And my DS liked to have a warm washcloth acoss his belly while bathing to keep him warm.

If you decide you do want a baby bath, I see a lot of them at consignment shops for really cheap!

Sending lots & lots of labor vibes your way....

Old 01-31-2006, 03:28 PM

I would say that you certainly don't NEED one of those little tubs. What is key is having two of you present to bathe the baby, unless you get in the tub with the baby (which I've never done since I like hot baths, too hot for the baby.) We use one of those little plastic tubs, which was given to use by someone who had finished with it. It's convenient, but definitely not essential and we only use it until the baby can sit up and then the babe will be bathed with her sisters in the big tub.

If you do decide to get one, definitely look for one used. They are a diime a dozen at our local used clothing store, as they are something that most people use for only a few months.

But I think you can easily get along without one.

Labor vibes to you!!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I used the little plastic tub with DS only because we didn't have a bathtub at the time- only a shower. We put the little tub on the floor of the shower.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 01-31-2006, 03:36 PM

i just take my little one in the shower with me. bolth of my kiddos love it.

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
Old 01-31-2006, 04:50 PM

I don't have a little tub. I've been taking DS in the bath with me every night and he seems to really like it. He really likes being as submerged as possible so I'm not sure how he'd feel about one of those baby tubs anyway. I do recommend having someone help you the first couple of times you do it until you get the hang of transferring the baby in and out of the tub. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2006, 06:27 PM

I bathe with baby also, it's a great place to nurse!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:54 PM

Stepping over from Feb to say that we never used one w/dd. I just took her in the bath with me, and she loved it, she would stretch all her limbs out, and just look totally blissed out and relaxed. Also, I remember being concerned about the poop issue, but my midwife told me that her kids never pooped on her in the bath as babies. That gave me the confidence to go for it, and dd has never pooped in the bath.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:00 PM

We had one, and they're nice, but not necessary. When they're really little, the sink is just as easy as one of the big tubs, and when they get bigger, the big tub is fun, because they can splash and play. And it's really easy to just take a bath with the baby.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:37 AM

At least if you get pooped on your in the right place!! . I have been bathing with my kids since they were newborns and let me tell you ...it is the best time ever. When they are tiny it's just pure love and joy to lay back and hold them and watch them stretch out in the warm water. Nursing in the water is awesome too. This baby and last one too I bathed with my babies in the hospital right after birth. I feel really conected to water so this is always a comfortable place for me to be with my babies. As they get older it becomes very fun. They will wash you and blow bubbles and still nurse. And it's a nice safe place for them to learn about body parts too!! I can't even remember a time when one of them pooped in the tub...you'd think four kids at least one of them should have pooped on me and I'm sure it did happen but I honestly can't remember.I guess it just wasn't an issue. And I do have a silly little baby bathtub that doubles as a laundry basket between babies! I love it cuz my grama gave it to me in 1993!!!!!!when I was pregnant with my first!!!AND IT'S PURPLE... so cool. We use it once in a while ...it's nice cuz it can go anywhere(I like bathing baby by the fireplace, I would like to bath there myself) and baby can stretch out(can't do this in the sink) and it's not as hard and cold as the tub or sink.
Happy bathing! Angela

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:41 AM

P.S. Sending lots and lots of labor vibes your way Fireshifter!!!

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:10 AM

I take the baby in the shower with me. She loves it. We never got a "first bath" picture.. just a "first shower" picture. I nursed her in there as well, and still do often nurse my 2 year old in the tub. (once you've been doing it for a few years, you can nurse in a box, on a train, on a boat, in the rain... )

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 02-02-2006, 04:54 AM

We were given one as a gift with baby #1. I did use it for him off and on, but I also put him in the tub with me. I didn't use the kitchen sink because I was afraid of him slippingon the counter or something equally ridiculous When he got a little bigger though we ddi bathe him in the sink. MOstly though he went in the tub or shower wit us, thoughhe did kind of dig the plastic tub thing. Baby #2, we'd given away the baby tub, so he went in the sink or bathtub/shower with us. This baby has yet to be bathed, but he'll go in the bath/shower or sink. I haven't been able to do more than wipe himoff because his belly button didn't heal right. Newborns don't reallyneed much in the way of bathing, the parts that get dirty get wiped off with diaper changes Wipe the goop off their faces and the lint out of creases once in a while and they're pretty good to go. I just like to put them in the tub because all of my b abies have loved water and I love having them in there with me Good place to nurse too, as mentioned

Namaste, Tara
Old 02-02-2006, 09:47 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I loved using the sink with one of the cheap bath slings. It kept baby from slipping and I didn't have to hunch over. It only worked in the sink without a divider though. I also love taking the baby in the bath with me. Actually, I just gave Maya her first bath today and that is how we did it. At first she was kinda agitated so I nursed her and we had a really nice first bath. Until she pooped! My other two didn't do this so I was shocked. So, anyways, the bath had a few extra steps at the end but I still love bathing with babies. I like hot water too, and though I keep it lower than normal when bathing with the babes I find that all my kids have liked it rather warm until they hit toddlerhood.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 02-09-2006, 10:11 PM

I usually shower with mine. All three of my babies have loved showers! With my older two I did use a baby tub occasionally, and also took the babies into a bath with me sometimes. I tried the baby tub twice with Ian (got one cheap at a consignment sale a few months ago since my first one was long gone) and he HATED it - screamed the whole time. So I took him in the shower with me the next time he needed to be bathed, and he was so relaxed and calm and really seemed to enjoy it.

Logistically it can be tricky until you get a routine that works for you (unless DH is there and can bring the baby to you when you're ready, then take the baby back while you dry off). Right now while he's a newborn I lay him on the floor just outside the shower, on a folded towel (more comfy) and wrapped in his hooded towel so he won't get cold. I take my shower, then when I'm done I turn the water temp down a bit (I like hot showers!), reach out and pick him up, take off his diaper, and sit in the shower with him in my lap. I have a hand-held shower head (the kind on a hose you can take down and hold) which is really nice - easier to control where it sprays on the baby. When he's clean (and we're done cuddling ) I lay him down on his towel again and wrap him up, dry myself off, and then pick him up and get him dressed.

A bouncy chair works well sitting just outside the shower once the baby can roll around. With an older baby who can sit up, I sit the baby on the floor of the shower while I'm showering (can't take as hot a shower as I normally would, though) and the baby just stays in there with me the whole time.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:52 PM

Dana, thanks for explaining how you do the shower with your babe. I've been reading the posts here about all the folks who bath or shower with their little ones but couldn't figure out *how* it's done. I'd be afraid of dropping Carys into too deep water or getting shower spray in her face. We have a baby tub (it was a gift - we weren't planning to buy one) and one of those sponges that fit into the sink. I don't like either. The baby tub is awkward and she still needs to be held up or she slumps to one side. The sponge in the sink doesn't work that well, either since it takes up most of the space leaving too much of baby exposed and getting cold.

I'd still really love to hear from those of you who take baths with your babies about exactly how you do it. Especially the nursing. I honestly can't imagine nursing her in a tub. Do your tubs have a sloped back or something?

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

Old 02-12-2006, 12:35 AM

I bathe in the tub with my little one. My tub does have a sloped back, but I don't really "use" that when she's in the tub with me. I basically run a warm bath and DH will bring her into me. My tub is a whirlpool tub and I run the water up over the jets...so maybe 6 inches or a little more. Basically I just lay her in my lap with my arm under her head. I'd be sitting more or less cross-legged making a bit of a well where I let her body sink down lower into the water so she doesn't get chilled. Then I offer her the breast (leaning over a bit, so not the best nursing posture) and bathe her with a soft cloth. When we're done I hand her back to DH and finish my bath while he dries and dresses her.

Does that make sense?

User Tag List