Joey's big day (birth story) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2006, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We went in at 6:30 a.m. last monday (1/23) to be induced, against my better judgment but at the behest of my OB. (He was almost 42 weeks and his innate fear of malpractice was kicking in). So we started 'gentle' pitocin, much slower than usual since we were VBAC-ing. Spent all day roaming the halls, annoying the nurses because the mobile monitor kept slipping & going out of range. Doula was with us the whole time, bless her. Around dinnertime, I was feeling weak from not eating, so doc agreed to let me eat and still keep going, rather than starting over in the a.m. By 9 p.m. I was only a "loose 4" and quite frustrated, so we let him rupture membranes. Man, did that kick things into gear fast! Probably too fast - I wussed and asked for an epidural @ 6 cm, which they had to administer twice due to my mild scoliosis, supposedly. Awful. Should have skipped it, since it only took - and mildly - on one side!
So I got to feel the real deal, pretty much. Before I knew it I felt The Urge while the (reviled) anesthesiologist was still in the room. I'm such a baby. I remember looking at her and saying "do something!"
Couldn't believe it when I felt that burn. OMG, this is really happening! I was hating it then but love remembering it now. Joey came really fast, 45 min. of pushing -- LOUD pushing! There was some meconium and his heart rate plummeted, so dr. used some suction and unfortunately cut me ... I had no idea until he started stitching.
My only real gripe is it took FOREVER for them to bring him to me because of the meconium. He was in the room but it seemed like ages till I held him. Was a little crabby because of the pain immediately afterwards...stitching, placenta, etc. That took me by surprise.
So it wasn't what we planned, but beats the heck out of surgery!
Joey's a sweet, quiet little guy and, other than some ragged nipples, all is well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 06:09 PM

Congratulations! I hope you heal quickly!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:22 PM

Congratulations!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 04:49 AM

Aww...thank-you for sharintg Kathi!!! I'm sorry about your episiotomy Sounds like a pretty good b irth though!

Namaste, Tara
Old 02-07-2006, 01:50 PM

Congratulations Kathi!!!! It sounds like you did a fine job and avoiding another csection is awesome for you... try not to think of yourself as a woos or a baby... you did what you needed to do and that's O.K.!

Love and Light.Angela

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:35 PM

Congrats!!!!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

User Tag List