Am I getting my period ALREADY???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-06-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone please tell me!

Here are the facts:

With ds, I didn't get it for 16 mos post partum (when he night weaned).

Yesterday I started spotting bright red. My birth bleeding was down to nothing, maybe a smidgeon of brown spotting.

Dd is 5 weeks old.

She nurses efficiently, like for 5-10 minutes every 2-3 hours usually, sometimes more.

If this is my period, I am PO'd!!!! : I was SOOOOO looking forward to at least a year of period-free life!

What do you think? Period? Or just a little red blood that hadn't made its way down yet? It hasn't gotten any heavier... just spotting.

I suppose I could call my midwife and ask her. She is the expert on that sort of thing, right?
#2 of 11 Old 02-06-2006, 07:01 PM

From what I understand, any bleeding before 6 weeks is still lochia. Did you up your activity level or something lately? Call your mw if you're wondering.

I think that 2-3 hours would be enough stimulation to keep AF away (but that's just me - I went 27 months PP without cycles after DD).
#3 of 11 Old 02-06-2006, 11:37 PM

I don't think it's the real period...I had bleeding on and off for the first 6-7weeks with ds, and then didn't get it until ds was 17months.
#4 of 11 Old 02-07-2006, 08:23 PM

With dd1, I got my period 14 months after she was born. With dd2, I got it 6 weeks (!!!) afterwards. She was exclusively nursing, at night included. It really, really surprised me. So, it COULD be your period, but probably isn't.
#5 of 11 Old 02-08-2006, 11:54 PM

Mine did this too. It jogged my memory that it happened with both of my other kids as well. My bleeding was down to brown spotting, and barely any at that, and then all of a sudden tere was bright red blood again. With my first I was on Depo and had no period after that bright red bleeding thing, except for some bleeding at three months that i never did know if it was a period or some residual something or what. WIth the second, I had the bright red stuff a few weeks post-partum, it went away, and I didn't bleed again until he was 13 months to the day. Here I sit, 3.5 weeks post-partum, bleeding bright red. A little disconcerting, but i know I've done it before and I don't believe it to be a period. I Beleive it to be due to activity level and exertion.
Just a note: Even with constant nursing, you can get pregnant. I have more than enough friends with babies less than 14 mos apart that will gladly attest to that.

Namaste, Tara
#6 of 11 Old 02-10-2006, 05:03 PM

Whew! I was wondering if I'd got my period. I did the same thing - lochia went down to nothing and then suddenly bright red and a bit heavier. I thought it was my period because I had some cramping, sweating and general crabbiness. But it seems to have dwindled after only 3 days, so ...

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#7 of 11 Old 02-10-2006, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

y'all must be right, because I only had it for about 2 days! yay! And, yeah, i know I can still get pregnant. part of me would love to, part of me knows that would be just silly for me!!!
#8 of 11 Old 02-10-2006, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just saw this on the new posts. I had to add, I had this after both kids, bleeding about 5-6wks PP. I always took it as my af, even though I was EBF. After dd, I got pregnant 6 months pp, was using nfp until I wasn't afraid of getting pregnant anymore, which was about 5 months pp. After ds I got pregnant 3 mnths pp, surprise, but not at all a regret. I think some people just get their fertility back very soon even with breastfeeding.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#9 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 10:44 AM

I've also had some bright red bleeding after 1 wk of nothing. DD is 4 wks as of yesterday, so I'm hopeful it's postpartum. AF stayed away for 9 mos with older DD and I'd hate to see her so soon.
#10 of 11 Old 03-23-2006, 07:17 PM

hey - i got mine back - period - when kai was 2 months old to the day...nothing major but lasted a week - lots of cramps and light

did not get mine back with ethan until 8.5 months

boo hoo for me...

alicia
#11 of 11 Old 03-24-2006, 12:28 AM

I was just going to ask this last week. Was down to nothing and then bright red with some small small clots for two days, now, it's back to dark brown and very little..Am 6 wks pp now.

I don't want to get pregnant again for at least 9 months. Hopefully that wasn't AF.

Messianic mama to 3 boys, C (4 yrs), E (22 mths), B (newborn)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page