HOW do you shower?!!? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok this is a follow up to the "when do you shower" thread. my ds is 17 MO, so he will still peacefully play in his crib while i shower, as there is no way he can be in the bathroom as he would tear everything up. this works great for now, but what happens when he's outgrown his crib? i'm hoping that will be at the same time that he is able to be in the bathroom with me & not pull toilet paper, open every drawer, lift the toilet seat, play with the plunger, etc.
#2 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 AM

They shower with me. (It's gets old sometimes)
#3 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
With one in the bouncy seat (though that won't last for too much longer) and two in the shower with me. When DS was younger (around 12-18 months), I had a lock on the toilet seat cover, the toilet paper up on a shelf, child locks on the cabinets and drawers, then left him one drawer to play with and put toys in. And showered as quickly as I could.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#4 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 04:23 AM

I shower at night after DH gets home. I've always preferred to shower at night, so I don't mind.
#5 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 AM

DS baths with me in the evening and then DH takes him for me to wash my hair.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#6 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 AM

We shower all together. Sometimes I pop the kids in the bath and use the hose and shower nozzle to wash my hair over the sink, and then use a wash cloth to clean myself. It's all very luxurious.
#7 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 AM

We shower together. When I get to shower by myself, I am VERY appreciative. One of things I do is plug the drain after I'm done washing and then let bath water collect for Chunka to play in while I'm brushing teeth, hair, dressing etc in the bathroom. He likes that.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#8 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 AM

Is it possible to toddler-proof the bathroom & just let him hang out in there?

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#9 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 AM

I've always showered before the kids got up. They're older now (15, 10, and 5), but I've been a single mom for the past five years, so if I didn't shower before they got up it just wasn't going to happen.
#10 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 AM

I just let him play in the bathroom or in the hallway with the door open. My son is almost two.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#11 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFox05 View Post
i guess when the time comes i'll have to (at least a little)
#12 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 12:10 PM

My kids have always showered with me when they can sit upright good enough to sit in the shower.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#13 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 PM

Sometimes she showers with me. Most of the time, I just leave the bathroom door open into the living room, so she can play with her toys, watch Sesame Street, or wander in and sing to me!
#14 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 PM

We have a pack n play in our room, so I would put the baby in that with toys. Or I would put the baby in the exersaucer and put him/her in the bathroom.

Now they are almost 3 and almost 2. I lock up the kitchen and guest bath and just shower. Usually my younger one talks to me while I shower.
#15 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 12:59 PM

When DS was around 2, 2.5, we had rolling kitchen table chairs. I attached a booster to one and would drag it into the bathroom with me, put ds in it, and put several toys and/or a snack on the tray. Most days he'd play there without a fuss.

Past that age, I'd put on a half hour TV show so I could shower and get ready for the day. The majority of the time, he sat still and watched long enough for me to finish showering. I'm not a big TV fan, but it's been somewhat of a lifesaver when I need a shower!
#16 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM

I get up and shower before DH leaves for work.
#17 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM

DS showers with me, or I wait until he is napping.

The downside to showering together is I like a really HOT shower, but that can't happen with a littl one in there with me. Oh well.
#18 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFox05 View Post
That is what I do. Our whole house is toddler proof and my one and two year old play fine throughout the house while I shower.
#19 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
That is what I do. Our whole house is toddler proof and my one and two year old play fine throughout the house while I shower.
Yeah, that's where I was headed with that. Our one year old plays a little while I shower, but mostly she bangs on the shower door, rofl.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#20 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 07:18 PM

I shower/bath with them, or take my shower when they're sleeping - either before they wake in the morning, after they go to bed, or during a nap. (Sometimes the 12mo and 2.5yo fall asleep at the same time in the afternoon, and I can shower then. I usually end up dozing off myself instead, though! )

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#21 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 PM

I shower/bath with them, or take my shower when they're sleeping - either before they wake in the morning, after they go to bed, or during a nap. (Sometimes the 12mo and 2.5yo fall asleep at the same time in the afternoon, and I can shower then. I usually end up dozing off myself instead, though! )

I think that with early childhood, you can really only just play it by ear and take it moment by moment. It seems that right now, you're doing what works well for you and your son. I think it's probably pretty likely that by the time he outgrows the crib, he will be able to play quietly on the floor of the bathroom without tearing everything up. Many families have special toys that the child only plays with while mama showers - that might work for you, when and if it's ever an issue!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#22 of 55 Old 01-22-2009, 07:38 PM

I only showered before Marc went to work, or not at all, until the youngest was about 3. Now I make them stay upstairs to play while I shower so that i can hear what they're up to, and I shower with the bathroom door open.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#23 of 55 Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM

I bring them into the shower with me. I put the baby in the bouncy seat on the bathroom floor (only time it gets used!) for the three minutes it takes me to wash my stinky bits and comb my hair and then bring him in.

On Saturdays dh is home and I get to take my shower alone. That's when I do a real full body wash and wash my hair.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#24 of 55 Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM

We have two bathrooms in our house, so I take a shower at night while DH gives DD a bath. It works out wonderfully- I get some alone time, they have a blast playing and making a huge mess in the bathtub and bond after Daddy has been at work all day.
~maddymama
#25 of 55 Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM

seseme street = mommy shower

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
#26 of 55 Old 01-23-2009, 02:05 PM

Maybe I'm mean, but my LO (18 months) knows he can't tear up things in the bathroom. If he does try to get into something he's not supposed to, I just remind him from the shower that it's off limits.
#27 of 55 Old 01-23-2009, 02:48 PM

I either shower with my toddler (and sometimes the almost 3 yr old, at the same time) or take one when he is napping. Or, they play in my bathroom or bedroom while I shower... or even in the youngest ones bedroom since it's closest to mine.

Sometimes I will wait until my older two come home from school and then I am comfy having my DD keep an eye on the LO.

Even w/four kids, I find a way to shower every day. Only on weekends is DH around when I shower. This, I enjoy as I can hang out in there for a looooong time w/out worrying. And I might even have a chance to shave, too.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#28 of 55 Old 01-23-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post

I think that with early childhood, you can really only just play it by ear and take it moment by moment. It seems that right now, you're doing what works well for you and your son. I think it's probably pretty likely that by the time he outgrows the crib, he will be able to play quietly on the floor of the bathroom without tearing everything up. Many families have special toys that the child only plays with while mama showers - that might work for you, when and if it's ever an issue!
this is what i wanted to hear!
#29 of 55 Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Before the new baby came along, I showered with the 3 year old while the toddler was napping or I'd put them both in the bathtub (sep shower and tub in the master bath) while I showered.

My new dd is 6 weeks old and I'm lucky if I get a shower daily. I'll either take one at night after the two older ones are in bed and dh has dd or or I'll take one before dh leaves for work, provided I can drag myself out of bed after multiple night feedings. Right now I'm liking my sleep more.
#30 of 55 Old 01-23-2009, 06:51 PM

If I don't shower at night when DP is home, DS showers with me. He's really good about playing with toys in the shower while I wash my hair and body. Then he gets all soaped up and we rinse together.

Jen
Loving partner to Gia rainbow1284.gif and mama to heartbeat.gif (9/06) and A heartbeat.gif (1/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page