Do you want more kids? How many do you have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 143 Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering. I have three they are 7, 5, and 2. Sometimes I think I want #4. BUT, I REALLY don't miss the sleepless nights, carrying a baby carseat, etc etc. I am also looking forward to them all getting a little older so we can go places more easily. Plus, I would have to stay home for 6 more years, and I am so ready to go back to work. I am 99% sure we are done having kids LOL
#2 of 143 Old 03-20-2009, 10:14 PM

No.

I did feel that way after my second child (sometimes thinking I wanted another one), but now that I have 3 (8, 6 and 2 y.o.), I know without a doubt that I am done.

I have come to realize that I really enjoy being a mom to older kids; toddlers are very draining for me, and I have zero desire to go through it again.
#3 of 143 Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 PM

Yes.
I have 2 girls 4months old and 2 years 2 months.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#4 of 143 Old 03-20-2009, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

lajn,

This is how I feel, my dd who is 2 is soooo draining, my son who is 7 well I love that age. I am sooo not a baby/toddler person lol
#5 of 143 Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 PM

i have one dd almost 3 and one babe due next month. I'm good for now. I need to learn how to handle two before I think of three. I would love a bunch of kids, but other things are the problems.

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#6 of 143 Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 PM

Nope. I have one.

*Liz* : mountain mama to DS 12/04
#7 of 143 Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarntz View Post
lajn,

This is how I feel, my dd who is 2 is soooo draining, my son who is 7 well I love that age. I am sooo not a baby/toddler person lol
Yes, I often think about how life was just prior to becoming pregnant with #3, when DD was almost 5, and DS had just turned 3 - how much easier everything felt.
If I can just hang on another 8 months...

(Of course, then I wonder if it's always going to seem more difficult just because he's that much younger than the other 2...)
#8 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 12:07 AM

i'.
#9 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 AM

I have a 16 year old (as of yesterday) ds, a 5 year old dd, and a 3.5 year old ds. I'm having one more, who is going to arrive in June (fairly definite, as I have history of post-dates, and no prematurity, and this will be a scheduled section). I'm done after that. I'll be getting a tubal during the surgery.

I've always wanted four kids. These days, I sometimes think I'd want another one, if I hadn't had so many c-sections and if I weren't already 40. My body's done. I'm just too worn out to go any further.

I will admit that I'm hoping this baby sleeps like ds1 and ds2 did as newborns...and not like dd. Ugh.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#10 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post

but then again i am NOT a toddler/preschool momma. i am GREAT until about 18 months, then i want to give them away for a while.
same here

I love being pregnant, love having a newborn and the infant stage is really fun for me... after that, it gets a lot harder.

I do want 1-2 more, most days anyway

I've been a SAHM for pretty much 8 years now and do want to go back to school full-time and have a career someday, but I am just not yet done having babies.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 AM

We want more, definitely. Don't know if it'll happen though. We have two adopted kiddos (18 and 15.75) and our Littles (almost 8 and almost 1). We'd like to have 1-3 more, depending on how our fertility works out. But, it took me YEARS to get pregnant w/7yoDD, and about a year to get pregnant w/ 1yoDD. So, I don't know if we'll hit the lotto or not before we're too old to want to try. I'd like to be done having kids within the next four years, so we can do all the other things we want to do with our lives before we get old and grumpy.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#12 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
I'd like to be done having kids within the next four years, so we can do all the other things we want to do with our lives before we get old and grumpy.
I'd intended to be done by about 31 or 32. Life doesn't always work so well. Mind you, I'm mostly okay with it...but the idea that I'll be pushing 60 when baby-under-construction graduates from high school is more than a little unnerving!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#13 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 AM

I am very happy with my 4. Sometimes I think i would love the pregnancy and babyhood and having another but my youngest is 4 and I think about our life now I just love it. My husband does not want anymore and is happy with the 4 we have as well.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#14 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 01:58 AM

Yes, I want one more. I have 2 daughters....8 and 11. We submitted our paperwork for an adoption about a month ago.....so hopefully we will have a baby within a year.

Wife and SAHM to our two girls and one little man.
#15 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 05:16 AM

We have three (growing #4!) definitely want more. Lots and lots more! :
#16 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Nope.

One and done.

I loathe babies, and have no desire to go through that again.

I love having an almost pre-schooler, though.
#17 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM

OP, your post made me smile. My littlest is 10 mo and so cute and sooooo demanding and I was just thinking that it would take me at least another year before I forgot how tired I was and would even be able to consider another baby. But luckily, DH and I are 40 so 2 boys are it for us! Anyway, I think 2 yrs is the time people get baby lust, but ugh, where I am, I have to think they're nuts!
#18 of 143 Old 03-21-2009, 06:23 PM

yes, definitely want more-we have 1 currently.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#19 of 143 Old 03-22-2009, 03:01 AM

I'm really sooo undecided about this.

I feel like our family is missing one little person. But I REALLY can't see myself ever going back down the pregnancy/birth/newborn road ever again. If we do have another, it'll be when our youngest is at least 5 or 6. I want a good long stretch of time without a tiny helpless baby in the house.

We have three kids, ages 7, 3, and 20 months.
#20 of 143 Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM

I would love to continue with more children however, I am pushing 50.

Have been sad for quite awhile about never birthing again or having the opportunity to experience the pure bliss of procreating another human being.

betsy
#21 of 143 Old 03-22-2009, 06:28 PM

I want more! We only have one, she's 13 months old. We're going to have one more, and then decide if we're going to go for number three. Yay, babies!

Girl #1: 2/14/08
Girl #2: 10/14/10
#22 of 143 Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Most days I would love more kids. Yeah, they wear you out & drive you crazy sometimes, but then they're each so special & endearing in their own way. Sure, sometimes when I'm having a cranky/tired day or the kids are really crazy I look around and go, "Really? Why do I want another kid again?" But then again, those are also the times I'm thinking to myself, "Really? Why did I want kids at all?" And obviously I *don't* wish that my girls weren't here. They're awesome! :

We have 2 girls & my DH is done. Specifically, he really, really is not digging the baby stage any more. The night waking, the dependence. He loves that DD1 is getting to the point where she can do most things for herself & that DD2 is really starting to get independent & verbal now too.

I love those things as well, but guess I take a longer view in that they are only dependent for such a short time really. It seems like we just had DD2 and she's already so big! I also LOVE the baby stage though, and pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc. I want a chance to finally homebirth & to try EBF another baby. I did BF both girls until almost a year, but started supplementing at 3-4 wks with both due to FTT from low supply. I've worked as a breastfeeding counselor since BF DD2 though & would love the chance to BF with all my new knowledge.

So, I don't know 100% either way if we'll have more or not. I wouldn't really say it's under "negotiations". DH knows I'm open to having more kids. We tease each other about it back & forth quite a bit. If he decides at some point that #3 is OK I'll be at the MD's office having my IUD taken out before the end of the week. But at the same time if he's really, really, really done then I feel that's something I have to respect too.
#23 of 143 Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM

Yes. Five: four girls and a boy.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#24 of 143 Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM

I always wanted to have more than one so that dc could have a sibling. Dd is almost 2 now and I miscarried last year. Since then, I'm super keen to have another. Dh and I are full-time students though, so we have to plan everything carefully around our school-schedules; we hope to conceive by the end of this summer for a new one to born next spring, when dh graduates. That should do it, though. I will be very surprised if both of us decide we want more after that. I'm also apprehensive about starting all over again, too--especially since dd was SUCH a needy babe. Yet I also expect that when we ARE all done it will be bittersweet, knowing I'll never be pregnant again and never again nurse a little newborn. These are very precious times, being young(ish) parents with little ones, and I try very hard to cherish them!

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :
#25 of 143 Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 PM

We have 2; 7 year old and 3 month old. In a perfect world we'd like 4 total. I think the only way for ME to do that is have our 3rd when the 2nd is around
3-4, and then wait until the 3rd child is about 4. I MIGHT be able to keep a LITTLE more sane that way. LMBO!
#26 of 143 Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM

yes we have 1 & would like 2 more. we'd like to space them each 3yrs apart, so we wont be ttc for another year.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#27 of 143 Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 PM

One bio child is plenty for us.

We decided if we change our minds later to consider adopting. It would be way later though so it is more like raising two singles rather than having them closer together.

But honestly... I think just the one is good.

A.
#28 of 143 Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM

I've had four; three are still living. I would really love to have more; I think one more. But for several reasons, we've decided not to. One is my health; I have a serious illness that required medication. I would not be comfortable being pregnant and nursing while on these drugs, but it's not safe for a baby if my illness isn't controlled. Another reason is finances. I would need a larger car, for instance. We only have one car, five seats, so one for each of us and no room for anybody else. And our house is way too small even for us. Another child would have nowhere to fit. Finally, I want to go back to work. I won't put a child in daycare, so I'm home until the twins go to kindergarten. Another baby would mean that many more years at home. We live constantly on the edge, and we won't get ahead any until I can work. Someday we'd like to own some land and stop renting.

So no more for us.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#29 of 143 Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM

I have 2 in the summerland and 2 living - a 7yr DS and a 10mth DD. I want to keep having as many as the Goddess provides but DH is sooo done. He won't actually admit that he's done though he just comes up with all these ridiculous stipulations like "we can have as many children as you like when we have a five-bedroom house" (which costs around £350,000 round here) or "...when I've been promoted to MD" or "when we can afford a brand new 8-seater car in cash without credit".
It's bloody funny how he can afford all the things he wants!
#30 of 143 Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We have 2, and we've always wanted 2. DH is getting a vasectomy sometime this year.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page