I really LOVE being a SAHM. Anyone else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This forum gets pretty negative sometimes. It's easy to feel lonely, unappreciated, and isolated as a stay-at-home mom. The hours are long, we don't get a paycheck, and many people in modern society frown on the decision to forego a paying career to stay home with our babies.

But I really love this job. I love what I do and I don't want to do anything else. I know I can't be the only one who doesn't see it as some horrible sacrifice to be a housewife.

I love the freedom I have during the day. I love that I don't answer to anyone but myself, my husband, and my child. I love that I can take a mommy & me class, or go sit in the park, or just walk around with my little one enjoying the day. I love the sense of accomplishment I get from running a tidy, comfortable household and putting good food on the table, carving out a cozy little place for my family.

Tell me what you love about being a SAHM. Or don't, and I will happily keep bumping this thread until someone else chimes in.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#2 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 AM

I love watching my kids play. They make up the weirdest and funniest games. I love laying in bed with them and reading books or just playing games that we make up. I love their laughter and even the screaming (from having fun). Everything is so exciting and new to them. I feel blessed to be able to watch each moment.

I think being a SAHM mom is like a battle and a blessing. It's work but it's also what you make of it. Lately I've been seeing the blessing of it more and more. The economy and other stresses of life can really try to bring me down but when I see my kids laugh or smile, or they give me a hug, or we play a game it just brings so much joy to my soul. I am so grateful for them and I would hate to go to work and not get to be at home with them everyday. :
#3 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 AM

As a previous working mama I find that if I start to feel like I've had enough of being home I just have to remember what it was like to leave my son everyday and those feelings are immediately replaced with gratitude. I had never wanted anything in my life the way that I wanted to be home with my son and it's a blessing I am careful not to take for granted.

I recently gave birth to my second son and it's amazing to me how much more in tune I am with him than I was with my oldest. I am also a much more relaxed mama, DH says that I am like a different person compared to the way I was before. There is no job or career in the world that I would choose over being here with my kids.

The things that I love (and some of them are pretty shallow, lol) about being home include the freedom to answer to no one at all, the ability to sleep as late as the kids will let me, no need to wake them early in the morning, having the option to homeschool, being able cook healthier meals for my family, if I have a day that I feel like doing nothing except making sure the kids are fed and changed, then that's all that I do and there is no fall out (other than a messy house), I can visit family or go shopping when I want, I can afford to sacrifice some sleep time just to have a few moments to myself (like this morning) because I don't have to get up early...the list goes on and on and on. This thread was a great idea, btw.
#4 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 AM

:Thank you for starting this thread! :

I love being a SAHM. Every day with my child is a gift and I feel so blessed that I am able to spend the days with him. We have so much fun!

I don't think I truly understood who I was until I had my son and quit my job to stay home with him. I had spent my first 30 years working on my education and developing my dream career. Turns out, all I really want to do is to play with my kid in the dirt. Ha ha!
#5 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 AM

I too LOVE being a stay at home mom. I love being able to see my children grow and really know who they are. My own childhood was full of daycare due to my mother being a full time professional. After I had my first daughter I realized that I had very few to no early memories of my parents. It was mostly memories of being in daycare I in no way wanted this for my children. I want to be in their memories of childhood. I also know that no place will ever be as rewarding to work for as home. My degree is in human social services, I wanted to help people but I realized that I need to help my small child grow and develop before I turn so much of my attention on to the rest of the world. Staying at home for me is where I need to be and love to be :

mother, wife, lover of life.
#6 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 AM

My kids are in school now, and I love being at home. I like having a more relaxed lifestyle, and having time for things like meal planning and grocery shopping. I love being able to volunteer in their classrooms, and not having to worry about school conference days, or sick days, etc. During the summer, we have long lazy days, at home or at the pool.

I used to work full time, but for many years now I have been at home. I have a part time job that is mostly from home that brings in a bit of money, but mostly we are a single-income family.

I have really enjoyed the time with my kids, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I know I am spoiled by not having to be "up and out" on a regular basis. I think that's why the sahm life is the one for me!
#7 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 AM

I do love being a stay at home mom. I actually feel like a fraud because as I'm typing this, my mothers helper is playing outside with my daughter while I work on my book, but hey! I'm HERE, and not at a job, right?

I too love the flexibility for homeschooling, and activities. Winter can get a little boring because venturing out in the cold isn't that great, but there are so many things to do when spring, summer, and fall hit! I love going to the park, exploring museums, going to the library, or just grabbing lunch in the middle of the day at our favorite diner if it tickles our fancy

I couldn't imagine NOT staying home with her, and even though I have some help and am working on a novel, it's still awesome.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#8 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 11:53 AM

:

i love it.

it's the hardest, most challenging personal or professional endeavor i have ever embarked upon, and i wouldn't change it for the world. i have pushed the boundaries of all the good parts of myself to be the kind of mama i want my daughter to have, and i am a better person for it.
i have learned to control and defuse the parts of myself i don't like, and as a result my self image has improved.

i find intense satisfaction i find in random moments every day, like when DD and i have a giggle-fest for no real reason... or three seconds after she falls asleep for nap, and her face goes into that slack, angelic state that makes anything negative from the day melt away... or when she randomly comes over and give me a hug.

bring into the equation that she is getting the best care anywhere, and is learning and thriving, and any negatives just don't really compare!

thanks for starting this thread
#9 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 AM

I love it!

I enjoy my children so very much. I'm glad that I am here to see them grow and learn.

The two-working-parent lifestyle wasn't for us. We tried it. Hopefully, we will never, ever have to do that again

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#10 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 PM

Thank you for this thread. I worked prior to having my dd, and then went back for one month after maternity leave before I had the opportunity to stay home full-time. There are certainly stressful days, but it is worth it.

We've had four tornado warnings here in past two weeks, and have fortunately escaped any damage, but it made me think of how I'd be feeling if my daughter were at daycare and I were at work during a tornado watch. Her daycare was very near a building that had it's roof torn off during the first round of tornadoes, and I am so glad we were at home, safe.

I am very grateful for each day I have with her at home. I've gotten to watch her crawl, pull up, make her first sounds -- and be able to capture things on video or as a photo to send to my dh at work.

She is very active and inquisitive, and very mobile, so I find myself very tired some nights, but I know so many people would gladly trade places with me, and I cannot imagine not getting and giving so many hugs and kisses over the day.

It is definitely a blessing.
#11 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 01:06 PM

I love being a SAHM. I love being with my kids, I love cleaning my house, I love cooking, I love doing everything I can to make life good for my family. It makes me so happy. I love going out with my kids and teaching them things.

I love making my house a home. I love doing my husband's laundry. Ironing my boy's shirts. Wearing aprons. mopping my floors. I love being home.
#12 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I am thrilled that I get to enjoy every minute of my daughter's babyhood. I feel that is a blessing. I like that I have the time to clean house, shop, cook, garden, arrange house maintenance, and still sleep in daily and have a great relationship with my husband. : I wouldn't be able to do all of those things if I had a full time job. Other people might have more energy than me. I'm also looking forward to when my daughter is older and we can go on homeschooling adventures! I'm thrilled that we won't be limited in when during the year we can travel.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#13 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 01:42 PM

I love it and wish I could be a SAHM forever!!!!!

Kim

Mama to 2 Boys...Nurse and IBCLC to the rest of the world!

www.BosomBabiesLactationServices.com

#14 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Oooo, oooo, pick me, pick ME!

I love being a SAHM. It's a little boring sometimes now that the kids are in school (and have been for 2 years now), but it is nice to get some "me time".

I love:
  • being home in case they're sick or hurt
  • volunteering all the time at their school and getting to know their friends and meeting the other parents.
  • having the time to cook and bake great meals
  • having the time to go to the library and read novels at length
  • having the time to garden, work in the yard and play with the dog
  • being able to keep an immaculate house
  • not having to get dressed every day
  • being able to work out (not that I do, but I am able to, LOL)

Oh, I also love looking back and realizing there is nothing I missed. Not a first step or first word, a lost tooth, a smile, a laugh, nothing. That is absolutely priceless and the number one blessing.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#15 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM

:

Me!!

:

Yes, there are hard days, but I do not want to be doing *anything* else. I love being home. I love that we don't have to rush in the mornings, or in the evenings. I love being here to see *every* new thing my kids learn and to watch the little gears turn in their head when they're figuring things out. I love going for walks with them every day. And cuddling with them in the morning and at bed time. And teaching them. And playing with them. And watching them play. And eating with them. :
#16 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 PM

I love staying at home. It has been a challenge with trying to handle the PPD at the same time, but I wouldn't trade it for the world and am looking forward to when number 2 comes along this fall.
  • I love that I can get a hug and a kiss whever I want.
  • I love that I can cook basically all of his meals from scratch.
  • I love watching him learn something new every day.
  • I love being able to take him to random things throughout the day for fun.
  • I love knowing that I am helping to raise the next President of the United States, Chess Pro, Teacher, Athlete...Person with a good heart.

I love that I have a loving husband who works his behind off so that I can stay home to raise our children.

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#17 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 04:21 PM

thanks for this thread!!! Agreeing that this forum can be way negative and i don't relate to a lot of what's in here. I love being a sahm, it is the best most fulfilling job in the world :

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#18 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM

It took me a long time to adjust but now I love it and can't imagine doing anything else, at least not while my kids are very small.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#19 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Oooo, oooo, pick me, pick ME!

I love being a SAHM. It's a little boring sometimes now that the kids are in school (and have been for 2 years now), but it is nice to get some "me time".

I love:
  • being home in case they're sick or hurt
  • volunteering all the time at their school and getting to know their friends and meeting the other parents.
  • having the time to cook and bake great meals
  • having the time to go to the library and read novels at length
  • having the time to garden, work in the yard and play with the dog
  • being able to keep an immaculate house
  • not having to get dressed every day
  • being able to work out (not that I do, but I am able to, LOL)

Oh, I also love looking back and realizing there is nothing I missed. Not a first step or first word, a lost tooth, a smile, a laugh, nothing. That is absolutely priceless and the number one blessing.

Ditto except for the immaculate house part. We just have a regular clean, sometimes cluttered, but lived in house.
#20 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 PM

: I'm here too!

I know it is very easy to dwell on the negative and mostly I vent on these boards, but I really do love being a SAHM and anytime it gets really tough I think about the frustration I had working, and that I'd be missing all that time away from my family and there's never a question.

I keep an infant for someone and I thought the other day that she really only gets to see her son for 4 hours a day and weekends....I thought about having to do that and it almost made me cry, which is hard to do.

Thank you ladies for helping me through the tough times and for letting me celebrate the good ones!

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#21 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 PM

Thank you for this thread, this forum does get negative.

I LOVE being at home. This is a VERY short season in our lives...jobs can always be there, things we want to do can always be there.....our kids are only kids for a mere BLINK in our lives. I feel honored that I am able to be with them. I dont want to miss out on it.
#22 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 PM

I love reading all your responses! I am not currently a SAHM but I can't wait to be one!!! Caring for your family is the best job in the whole world! And there is a sense of accomplishment of a tidy, clean house and good, nutritious food to eat!

Counting down the days 'til I join you all

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#23 of 65 Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 PM

I love being a SAHM too! : I think I just love the time that SAHM affords. Time to plan and cook nutritious meals, time to do fun activities, time to run the household, time to spend together as a family without pressure or rushing. I also love that DH can focus 100% on his work while he's there--never any crisis about a sick child or appts, who has the leave left, etc. Of course I love that all the "firsts" were seen by me or DH. I love that we can decide to homeschool..or not..but it can be our decision. I love it all! :

Now when will I get to the point where I have an immaculate house?
#24 of 65 Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
Ditto except for the immaculate house part. We just have a regular clean, sometimes cluttered, but lived in house.
LOL. I have to keep it sparkling. If I have nothing to clean, I'll leave the house and shop! The other day was spent cleaning the lid of my washing machine with toothpicks It saves money for me to keep busy scrubbing and fills my time between 9 am and 3:30 pm (school hours).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana
our kids are only kids for a mere BLINK in our lives
Exactly! When my youngest graduates and leaves the nest, I'll only be 39. I'll have too much time to do whatever I want, right now I want to savor every second that I'm allowed with my children. It just goes way too quickly.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#25 of 65 Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I honestly never felt another calling other than homekeeping and being a sahm. I think if a woman feels another calling that's great, that's her right, but I also don't feel I'm less vital because I don't. I'm lucky my dh shows me nothing but respect, and I am blessed to have a healthy child. I've always lived a modest, mostly low income life, so being low income right now doesn't really bother me. It definitely doesn't stress me enough to get a job i couldn't take dd with me to. I'm also lucky that my husband knows the career he wants and is striving for it and isn't resentful of having a job just to support us. I think that's a horrible feeling for anyone, I've been there.
#26 of 65 Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Who knew there were so many of us happy SAHMs?

Thanks for your posts, mamas. It's always good to reaffirm why we do what we do.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#27 of 65 Old 04-14-2009, 10:54 AM

I love homemaking and being with my babies. It's so nice to be able to devote so much time and energy to creating a beautiful living space, cooking, sewing, gardening...but especially watching my children grow and helping them learn. It is such a gift to be able to do what I like and what I am good at! I also feel very much loved and respected by my dh, who works so hard uncomplainingly and still makes the time to help me and do nice things for me.

That is a benefit I didn't anticipate of being a sahm - falling more in love with my dh. I knew when I married him that the potential was all there but it still suprises me just how much he has grown as a man. Being the sole income earner has made him become so much more responsible and steady. Since our first son was born he has started his own business and gotten sober. I'm so proud of him :

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#28 of 65 Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM

Oh, I love my career as a SAHM. Love that I can focus on daily chores so that free time is just that...free time. Love that I'm witnessing every milestone, love that I'm the one teaching my kids our family values, love that my youngest can nurse any time that she wants to, love that I can be at the school to volunteer, love that I am a big part of my kids lives.

My husband loves coming home to a happy house, no rushing around (unless we want to, but we don't ), and in the evenings he can focus on sports with the kids, or whatever else the kids are into that day.

I'm a very lucky mama

I have 3 kids! : Lookit them go!!!
#29 of 65 Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Oh my gosh, reading this made me cry! And I never (okay, rarely) cry at stuff I read.
#30 of 65 Old 04-14-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana View Post
Thank you for this thread, this forum does get negative.

I LOVE being at home. This is a VERY short season in our lives...jobs can always be there, things we want to do can always be there.....our kids are only kids for a mere BLINK in our lives. I feel honored that I am able to be with them. I dont want to miss out on it.
this.

i LOVE being at home, and plan to stay home until my youngest graduates from high school.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page