using the Internet to keep sane - anyone else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-24-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been SAHM for just over 6 years. I can't believe the time has flown and we've somehow managed (just barely) to financially make ends meet on one income.

I hated my jobs outside of the house and have no career direction at this time. So I am glad I'm at home - I enjoy it for the most part - even though my special needs kid challenges me and I find the the whole parenting/house mom thing no walk in the park.

But I realize too - if I didn't have the Internet, if I didn't have computer access to real adults and real life - I think I might lose it completely!

Is there anyone else who is a SAHM that relies on the Internet to stay sane?

I have friends in real life but I find they fall into two categories: a) women that are single and childless and don't like kids! or b) women with children who are harried and too busy to meet with me socially or chat on phone! So the Internet it is ...

I've been finding it really hard to day to get my housecleaning done (boring!) and the mini-breaks on the computer are the only thing that help the work get done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-24-2009, 06:14 PM

My mom and I were talking about this the other day! For quite a while, she was a SAHM in the total middle-of-nowhere and my dad was gone a lot. She didn't even have a phone. I told her I would have lost my mind, that I would lose my mind now if it weren't for the internet. I think I would have to go back to work, actually, because I'm a huge extrovert and just can't handle being without lots of people for long periods of time. Even if they're virtual!:

Mommy to kids

#3 of 17 Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ooh! ooh! this is me!!

I get anxiety if I don't keep my brain active, so the internet is the way i do that... news, etc... if I ever think up something I'm curious about, i look it up right away... Keeps my anxiety down. I also socialize primarily through the internet. I'd be completely lost without it.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#4 of 17 Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 PM

*raises hand* Me too!

My baby is 2 years old! How did that happen?!
#5 of 17 Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 PM

i rely on the internet for SO MUCH its not even funny.......finding recipes, ordering library books, selling things, educational things for the kids, news, research on various topics, etc............but the biggest thing is to find people who i can talk to who can actually understand and relate to me.........when i lost my twins a few years ago, i would have went nuts had it not been for online friends who had been thru a similar loss..........when i decided to homeschool, i would have went nuts without online friends who also homeschool and told me all i need to know.........when i decided to stay home with my kids, it was very helpful to connect with other online moms who had or wanted a similar lifestyle........etc etc etc. i just seems easier to me to find people and make connections online than in real life....maybe because you can kind of communicate when it is convenient for YOU....maybe because of pool of people is so much larger.....maybe because everyone is organized into nice little easy to find groups like this one ;o)
#6 of 17 Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 PM

I don't understand how people survived without internet. I really don't.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#7 of 17 Old 07-24-2009, 10:22 PM

Funny, how you describe your friends is too true!

The people who have time hang out, can't stand my SAHM culture and the people who I want to hang out with are too busy nursing, cleaning and SAHing lol.

Whatever did SAHPs do before the internet?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#8 of 17 Old 07-25-2009, 12:43 AM

same here!!!! i'm online way too much lately, but i seriously need it, especially in the last weeks of this pg. i hope to get more active with the kids afterward, but i'll still be online, esp here to find sympathetic moms!!!! we live in a small town, and there are not many crunchy people here at all. i don't know anyone locally who homeschools or cloth diapers, and every time i mention that we do, i wish i had never brought it up.

s momsling.GIF - JW asl.gif writing geek.gif wifey to j aaman.gif  (11/03) and cd.gif  homeschool.gif  knit.gif sewmachine.gif read.gif mommy to s dreads.gif (10/04), l kewl.gif (8/08), j diaper.gif (8/09), and little s boc.gif (12/12)

#9 of 17 Old 07-25-2009, 08:03 AM

Me!! I neeeeeed the internet. We were without it for 6 weeks when we moved to our new apartment, and I felt like I was in a complete social and information vaccuum. It helps me to feel connected to the world, to my family, to my friends, to essential services, and to knowledge about everything I could possibly want to know about. The internet has truly changed my life for the better.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#10 of 17 Old 07-25-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'sMama View Post
I don't understand how people survived without internet. I really don't.
I have this vague memory of going to the library and searching through book after book for a little piece of information...

Ha! it wasn't that long ago, but it is so hard to imagine now. And that certainly includes keeping up with friends. I have friends I hardly ever see, but I know what they're up to almost daily. Yay, Facebook!

Lara
#11 of 17 Old 07-25-2009, 01:07 PM

Me too. It's my stress reliever.

#12 of 17 Old 07-26-2009, 12:07 AM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...642&highlight=

Last summer my laptop crashed completely and since we're so broke, that was the end. Period. Then about a month ago dh let a co-worker borrow his xbox 360 in exchange for his friends brand new desktop!! I spend so much time on it I have already come to think of it as mine... I don't know what I'll do when it comes time to trade back.
#13 of 17 Old 07-26-2009, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Raises Hand

I keep up with friends and family on Facebook.

One of my best friends who just had baby #2 lives a good hour drive away

One of my other good friends lives tops 30mins but doesn't have kids but i've started to make a effort to hang out with her more lately and we have fun hanging out together with my two kids.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#14 of 17 Old 07-26-2009, 02:09 AM

Me too, that's why I am up at 12:07 am. It drives DH crazy that I need to get online after I get DD's to bed , he just can't understand that I need this down time. DH is deployed so I really need some down time after my little ones are asleep.

My friends fall into the same catagory and my house is a disaster. The mini-breaks on the computer aren't helping me too much. Maybe I need to take more!
#15 of 17 Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 AM

I tell DH all the time that its my social life
#16 of 17 Old 07-28-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL'smom View Post
Me too, that's why I am up at 12:07 am. It drives DH crazy that I need to get online after I get DD's to bed , he just can't understand that I need this down time. DH is deployed so I really need some down time after my little ones are asleep.
Yes! I always end up staying up much later than I intend to. It's hard for me not to turn 5 minutes of free time after the baby is asleep into an hour lol.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#17 of 17 Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 AM

Oh definitely yes! I don't know how I would survive as a sahm w/o the internet. It would be so isolating. The internet is my social life, my information center, how I continue to network with friends/family, and my #1 parenting support center. My mom hated being a sahm and I wonder, if she had the internet, if it would have been different for her. For the most part I enjoy being a sahm, although I won't lie that there are days where I just want to run away. However, I hated my job before I became a sahm, so I guess I see it as the better of the two options and I am lucky that my DH is able to support us on his income.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page