Why don't you just -insert home based creative business here- - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
I am falling out of my chair.

On a side note, this thread is making me laugh because I have been suggested at least a dozen jobs that "you could do at home!". My favorite was making greeting cards. I am the least crafty person I know. It makes me laugh only because I feel such a rant coming on about how I do have a full time job raising these tiny people in my house.
Greeting cards!!! I enjoy making a card now and then. My own dear, sweet husband said something about going into business with them. Hahahahaha! Husband, have you looked closely at these? No one is going to pay money for them. And way to ruin an otherwise pleasant endeavor.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Add me to the list of SAHMs who get asked this a lot. I don't really want to go back to my corporate job even if anyone would hire me in this economy. And I don't want to turn my hobbies into jobs, because then they're not my hobbies anymore and are a source of stress. What is wrong with staying home and tending to my kids? I worked for nearly 20 years before I had kids and money I earned was 90% of the down payment for our home. I have contributed financially and now I contribute in other ways.

When DS was born, I made an arrangement to work from home 10-20 hours per week. My company was pretty accomodating about it, but I was a "good" employee. It turned out I rarely got in more than 10 hours, and I was in projects that really required more face to face contact with my coworkers. But I was doing my work at 9 pm when the baby finally went to sleep for a stretch - right when I wanted to be winding down for the day too. Slowly I was left out of the loop, slowly I cared less about the job and it was easy to quit after awhile. I don't really want to go back to that situation.

Even when the kids are in school they are still off in the summer, there are teacher planning days at least once a month, days off for conferences etc. They need a ride to piano lessons and soccer. I see how stressed out the moms are who work trying to cobble together care and rides for their kids, using up all their vacation time on these things. If I can avoid it, I will.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM

My mother-in-law and her friends keep telling me I should make videos for people. Each month I make a little recap video of my son's life that past month. It's sweet, but I don't see any reason why I should make a business out of it. I want to spend time with my son, not making videos for random people. Plus, I would NEVER pay for someone to make a video for me, why should I assume people would even be interested in this?

Wife[Corey.Jul07] Mother[Asher.Dec08] ClothDiapering[Dec09]
Old 01-27-2010, 05:37 PM

A capitalist economy only values things that are directly exchangeable for currency. If your work is not paid (especially if nobody is willing to pay you to do it), then it must therefore be work of no value. If your work is of no value, then people who love you must suggest work for you to do that does have value, because they love you and want to see you fulfilled.

Work-for-money is the way the economic system keeps us enslaved and bound to it. Choosing to opt out of that slavery to the system and do unpaid work out of love is a way of starting the revolution.

At least, that's what I say when people ask, "so do you work from home?"

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post
A capitalist economy only values things that are directly exchangeable for currency. If your work is not paid (especially if nobody is willing to pay you to do it), then it must therefore be work of no value. If your work is of no value, then people who love you must suggest work for you to do that does have value, because they love you and want to see you fulfilled.

Work-for-money is the way the economic system keeps us enslaved and bound to it. Choosing to opt out of that slavery to the system and do unpaid work out of love is a way of starting the revolution.

I wish I had the guts to say that! Amazing!

Wife[Corey.Jul07] Mother[Asher.Dec08] ClothDiapering[Dec09]
Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:

*applause*

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM

Comtessa, I tell people something similar about my farm work. It doesn't make us money, but pays off in other ways. We eat eggs from the happiest chickens around, we eat the highest-quality meat from animals that have tranquil lives and deaths, we grow pesticide-free vegetables, and we have attachments and relationships with all these animals and gardens. Money doesn't always have to be the goal.

Most people look at me like there's something wrong with me. I've refused to raise large numbers of animals for other people because it would affect my ability to provide them a good life, and it would infringe on our family's lifestyle and take away our privacy and enjoyment here on the farm. I also know that no one else would value it to the extent I do and be willing to pay what I consider a fair price to make it worthwhile for our efforts.

Sounds a lot like staying home and taking care of your family, doesn't it?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry987 View Post
I think it reflects how little parenting is valued in our society. "You're JUST raising kids??" It's annoying, sad, and frustrating sometimes, but I know how important my job is, so I try not to let it bother me.
This is so true!

I'd also like to say that I think people assume that women doing work at home makes it "easy" work. I know many an Avon lady who works her butt off full time to have her successful business. It is a "real job" not a hobby to make easy money while she sits around the house.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Honestly I've come to the conclusion that people just don't know what they're talking about. I was a SAHM until my oldest was 4, and I worked from home during that time. Let me tell you I have never worked so hard in my life - most of my work was done after 8pm, and there were nights I pulled all nighters to get it done. A few months ago my mom, who was close by the whole time, made the comment that well, I got "4 years off of not working". I looked at her like she had 2 heads, and reminded her that I most certainly DID work during that time, both for financial gain AND raising children. She honestly had no clue, and just saw it as she had had to work her tail off when I was young, and I had gotten to stay home and 'just' be a mom. So even if you DO do something "on the side" it's not valued as or looked as as "real work" a lot of times! Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I will say, my dad with whom I tend to have a contentious relationship and who is *very* corporate oriented surprised me the most. When I was home for 4 years part of that was our choice to do without some things in order to make it work. His comment was that it is huge for one parent to be able to stay home if you can make it work, as having the wife home, even if she is WAM part time, makes the house run much more smoothly. I almost fell over!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I didn't get the comments while the boys were at home but now they are all at school, Oh boy! Even dh asked if I had any thoughts about a job of any description. Humm, lets think, yes, I know, I will finally get to decorate this house, I'll do all the cleaning (including cleaning 4 toilets), I'll care for all the pets, I'll cook and do laundry and when the boys get home I will help with homework, get all three to read to me for 30 minutes each and do supplimentary work with them. Then I'll clean up from supper, chill out with whoever and then do bath/bedtime routine. If I'm lucky I will then get an hour to spare. You want me to work from 9pm until 10pm?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Even though money is necessary, that is not the only thing needed to raise children effectively. You save gobs of costly things by being with the children. That is the primary focus and if other things can be included like volunteer work, hobbies, social activities, etc., then great. It can balance your life to do other things but the key is balance and well being of the children. I feel anyone who wants to pursue other money making ideas can. However, it should not be a requirement of a person already saving expenses by staying with the children.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:

Beautifully beautifully said, thanks!

Mama to 2: 2twins.gif 12/7 and 9/10

User Tag List