What time do you get up?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^that is one of the problems. My kids are huge night owls and don't go to sleep until 9 at the earliest and usually it is more like 10-11pm. So if I stay up a few hours after they go to sleep I end up staying up too late and then feel tired the next day because they wake up at 8am.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 AM

My kids get up between 5 and 6. If I tried to get up earlier than them... whew. They go to bed at 5 pm so I stay up until about 9 or 10.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
Old 01-26-2010, 01:54 AM

My dad is a morning person and would fall asleep in his chair by 8:30 PM almost every night. The first time I tried to become a morning person, I read this article: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...n-early-riser/

It helped me change my schedule and really learn to love the mornings. (I use to go to the gym for a 5:45 AM spinning class, I guess I was a glutton for punishment.)

And here's a few more articles with great tips:
http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Morning-Person
http://www.newsweek.com/id/142142
http://www.slate.com/id/2193208/
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_n6357615/

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Banned

I dont know why it's so hard but ive been trying to do the same thing for a while. I jsut cant get my butt to bed at night, and out of it in the morning.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm another one that uses the night for my personal time. My kids are asleep by 8:30 and I usually go to bed around 10:30-11:00. I wake up around 7-8 whenever my baby wakes up. I've never tried to get up before her.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 PM

I used to get up at 6:30 on weekdays. Now I homeschool, so I get up around 8 am. It's lovely.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 01-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Im visiting family so the schedule has been: Usually the kids go to bed between 7-730, I go to bed around 830-9. I wake up around 4, nurse the baby and dooze. I actually get out of bed around 430 and work out for 60-90 minutes. Then I check my e-mail, get dressed, have a glass of water and wash my face. During that time (around 6ish) my 3 year old wakes up and about 30-60 minutes later my 1 year old wakes up. This gives me an hour to two hours at night and another 1 1/2 to 2 hours during the morning time for me time. We shower at night because the mornings are COLD and my father doesn't have a working heater.
At home: The girls go to bed between 730 and 8. DH and I go to bed between 830-10. DH's alarm goes off at around 4am and I nurse the baby. Around 415-430 DH and I work out together or DH leaves for PT at work (hes in the military). After an hour or so of working out we shower together and I get ready for the day. While hes finishing getting into uniform and shaving I make breakfest and pack him a lunch. Around this time DD1 will get up and spend some time with DH (shes a big daddy's girl and needs at least a little time with him each morning to be happy). Sometimes DD2 will get up too and DH will bring her to me in the kitchen. We eat breakfest together as a family, say prayers, read scriptures and DH leaves for the day around 7am.

Personally I use to be a real night owl. I would have college classes until 11pm and not go to bed until 1. I joined the Marines and after training my body reversed itself and now I can't sleep past 6am(I only sleep that late when Im sick or pregnant). Ive been out of the Corps for almost 3 years now and Im still like that.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
That sounds like a great routine. I think I would really enjoy time to myself in the mornings. I just need to make myself do it. I have never ever been a morning person. I have always been the kind of person that will stay up all night and sleep all day if I could. I wonder if it is possible to transform myself into a morning person though?! It is worth a shot. I am feeling mighty stressed out and overwhelmed with things as they are going. I need some time to myself and night time is prob. not the best time because once the kids are in bed I get my second wind and then stay up too late. I also always shower at night so showering in the morning might be a nice change of pace for me.
I'm also not a morning person at all. But I find if I shower immediately upon waking, I'm pretty much alert and awake after that. The key is getting out of bed before you start to think about how good it would feel to stay in bed, hitting the snooze alarm, or sleeping for 5 more minutes. You just have to do it, and once you're up it should be okay. Also they say it takes something like 21 days to form a new habit, so it probably won't be easy overnight. As much as I hate getting up, the benefits outweigh the agony.

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!

i am such a night owl! i dont hate mornings, but i would rather sleep in...

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 PM

I don't feel any compulsion at all to become a morning person... ... I do, however, feel a frequent compulsion to sedate my baby in the mornings so I can have just one.more.minute of sleep...

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

I have been going to bed earlier and sometimes I wake up on my own at about 5am. Now I get really excited when I think about all the time I will get in the morning if I get up early. I don't do it every morning but some mornings I do it and I always love it. School just started for me 2 weeks ago and so if I have quiet time in the morning to drink coffee and study it is awesome!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 AM

I can't imagine getting up earlier than I absolutely have to! But I have a few good reasons to not even bother trying. First, my DD has a horrible sleep schedule. There is no real predicting how long she will sleep and it has taken us months to get her to go to sleep before 1 am (Thank God for melatonin!). Some nights she will wake up after only 6 hours of sleep and is totally unable to fall back asleep. So yeah, I grab whatever sleep I can.
Second, we live in a 515 sq foot apartment that has a loud toilet and extremely squeaky floors. There is no getting up and getting things done without waking her up! When she does crash and sleeps in, I have a hard time even making breakfast...the kitchen is two steps away from the door to her bedroom.

So I just sleep until I absolutely have to get up. And on the days when she only sleeps for 6 hours and I had to stay up 2 hours after her to just have some "me" time...I pop in a DVD, give her some breakfast, and snooze on the couch. I only feel a little guilty about it.

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 AM

I also agree it's something you just have to start doing and stick to it. That's how I did it. There was an adjustment period (yay for coffee!) but now it's old hat. It was out of necessity (and vanity reasons) as my oldest started school and I needed to get him ready for his day. Also I really did not want to show up at school drop off as the mom who just looked like she rolled out of bed.

I wake up at 6:15. This gives me enough time to get showered and dressed and get breakfast going (if DH hasn't done so already) before the boys wake up. I try to get *into* bed at 10pm. I never fall asleep by then as I usually read a chapter or two of my current book before lights out.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicksab View Post
So I just sleep until I absolutely have to get up. And on the days when she only sleeps for 6 hours and I had to stay up 2 hours after her to just have some "me" time...I pop in a DVD, give her some breakfast, and snooze on the couch. I only feel a little guilty about it.
Hahaha. I've been known to do that too, although I'm more likely to let the 3 year old play downstairs while I "take a break" upstairs.

My kiddos are on the late schedule so we typically don't wake up until 10:00 or later. On co-op days, I wake up before they do and then wake them up around 9:30. I'm really dreading school hours because we'll have to restructure our instinctual sleep patterns entirely. This is a big reason why I consider homeschooling...

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My boys are both asleep by 9 every night. My night owl 4-year-old daughter stays up until 11 or so, but she knows that after 9, she has to lay down beside me & watch TV or look at books while I work. (I work at home doing medical transcription.) I work until 11:00 or midnight. I get up between 5 and 6 to work again. I guess I'm one of those lucky people, because I never feel tired!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 AM

I thought I was a morning person but 5 or 6 in the morning seems SO early - lol, we're normally up at 7am for school, however during the holidays we don't normally wake till 8ish, dh is a complete night owl and will work easily until 4 or 5 in the morning then come to bed, he's up around 12 noon, dd would do the same as him given half a chance!!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Depending on the day anywhere between 7-8am for the kids and usually no later than 7:30 for me. Today I was awake at 6 and couldn't fall back asleep. Of course it seems the boys wake times are always much earlier on the days I would actually like to stay in bed.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 AM

I'm glad you managed to do it. I've had grand plans of going to bed earlier and getting up before the kids (or at least 6am) to work out and have a slow start to the morning.

I haven't done it once.

I'm a single SAHM so when the kids are finally in bed at night, I NEEEEEED that time to mentally relax and then by the time I get to bed, and the kids wake up at 5.45am there is no way I'm going to be getting up! The other problem is that my alarm would wake them up so I'd just be up earlier and have the kids around anyway!

My oldest just started going to morning kindy and both the kids of have been tired, so they've been waking up at 6am - 6.30am and will get up and play and watch telly and I drag myself out of bed at 6.45am so I can get cleaned and dressed and get everyone dressed and given breakfast in time to get DS1 to kindy on time.

DS1 only just started kindy last week, and I've been sick all this week, but my plan is (when I'm feeling better) to start working out once I've dropped DS1 off at kindy. DS2 is pretty good at entertaining himself.

I wish I could get up before them but I'm just too tired. I'm hoping that starting to work out will give me more energy and reserves.

OK, so I'm completely rambling and off topic! I guess what I'm trying to say is - wish I could do it and congratulations for managing to do it yourself!

It's complicated.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 AM

I get up when DS wakes up, which is usually between 6:30 and 8:30am. (He's still nursing several times at night.) We do his morning routine and I might sneak in a glass of juice throughout. He goes down for a morning nap about an hour or so after rising (so between 7:30 and 9:30) and I use that time to get ready-shower, check email, breakfast.

I workout, etc. at night. After DH comes home, we eat dinner and then I head to the gym which is about five minutes from our home. DH has alone time with DS and then once I'm home, we do DS's evening routine before putting him to bed. It works for us.

On the rare days where I have to be somewhere early morning, I get up with DH. It allows me to get ready before DS wakes up and in the off chance DS wakes up while I'm getting ready, DH can tend to him. I avoid early morning commitments (appts, etc.) if at all possible. It just makes things too hectic around here. But maybe that will change in the future.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM

-
Old 02-12-2010, 11:22 PM

Lights out at 9:30pm, up at 5:30am. Ideally...

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

Old 02-13-2010, 12:22 AM

Not a morning person at all. Gave up trying to be. My kids are in bed by 8:30pm. I need time for myself and so I take it. I wake up at 8, my kids do too around that time. We do rush to get to where we're going (school for ds, nursery school for dd), but I'd rather rush for an hour than to sacrifice my sleep! Plus when they are in school already I can then do my chores, shower, etc.
Embarrasing sleepy mama confession? Now that it's winter, I often put my snow pants and jacket right on top of my pyjamas, put up my big hood with the fake fur around it and nobody can guess my total "just barely rolled out of bed" look underneath! LOL.
But hey, my kids are dressed and fed at least.

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

User Tag List