What do you mamas do for exercise? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first baby is now 9mo and I'm thinking of dropping the postpartum pounds and trying to incorporate exercise into my life on a regular basis. So now I'm wondering, how, when, and what are you mamas doing for exercise?

I'm just not sure how to fit it in.... I'm a wahm (try to), i breastfeed, and never leave ds for longer than an hour (very rare to do that even). The only chance I have to get freelance work done is during his naps and so I can't workout then. Also, when it comes to exercise I have little motivation and probably need something extra to make it appealing, like a class (so that there is a social component).

I'd love to hear how others work it into their life and also any suggestions you've got for me!

(I also posted this question in the fitness forum, but am hoping to get some more responses here.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 AM

When I only had DS1, I would jump on the elliptical when DH got home from work. But with 2, its harder to do for some reason. Now, I just regularly walk for about 45min-1hr with them in the jogger. Between the walking and having to push around that much weight it works ok.

I know there are groups of moms that do stroller walks around the lake near me. Maybe joining something like that? Or do you have a community center near you that you could take a 1hr. class at?

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#3 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 05:39 PM

When the weather is nice we take nice long walks. This past summer I actually wore my rollerblades and would push them to the park by our house. Pushing two kids in the P&T's is good excercise. Now I get up early and go to the gym from 6 - 7am while the kids are still asleep.
Aren't there stroller classes? You can meet up with other moms and it's actually an excercise class but you keep your lo with you. I can't think of the name but I know I have seen ads for them.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#4 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 10:33 PM

I walk everywhere because I take public transportation to get to places, but I realize that doesn't work for everybody. Pushing a double stroller up a great big hill from our local train station, especially if it's through an inch or two of snow, is great exercise! All in all, I probably walk somewhere between forty minutes and two hours every day.

We do live in a cold climate, but have really great winter gear and a stroller that's suited for trudging through the snow. I realize not everyone does, but walking might at least be possible in the warmer months...
#5 of 28 Old 02-27-2010, 12:57 AM

My favorite way of exercising with my baby is putting her on my back and walking up and down the flights of stairs in our apartment building. It's not fun at all...I feel like I'm trudging (compared to before kids, when I did the elipticals at the gym, and felt like I was flying.) But it works! It's more fun if I can talk my husband or my mama friend in the building to join me. Then we can talk a little between huffs and puffs. If I'm alone, I put my favorite get-my-ass-moving music on my ipod and pretend I'm all alone, even without the baby! It almost counts as alone time.

The bonus is that it always puts the baby to sleep.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#6 of 28 Old 02-27-2010, 12:16 PM

I don't think it would be humanly possible to go back to 1 hr workouts like I used to get. I also WAH part-time and have a 6 yr old I'm homeschooling and a toddler.

This winter I've started to do 3-5 10 minute intense bursts of workout per day - on the total gym or running up and down the stairs or kickboxing (which my 6 yr old loves to do with me). This works great because I can cram exercise into odd breaks when I would normally be in the kitchen trying to figure out what's next in the day and likely reaching for a snack. Plus it keeps my metabolism up all day. In the spring and summer I go bike riding with the kids a couple of times a week .
#7 of 28 Old 02-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
16lb Baby lifts, 100 reps a day
36lb Kid lifts, 10 reps a day
Vacuum lunges and floor sweeping 1-3 times a day.
45 minute walks pulling a wagon every dry day
Scrubbing mirrors, windows, walls, tables, counters
Many many bursts of run around the house, squats and lifts putting things away each day.
Tag, hide and go seek, follow the leader, and trampoline jumping

Who needs a gym membership?
#8 of 28 Old 02-27-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post
My favorite way of exercising with my baby is putting her on my back and walking up and down the flights of stairs in our apartment building.

The bonus is that it always puts the baby to sleep.
So funny I used to do the same thing. Put the lo in a kangaroo carrier. Worked like a charm.

When lo was 8 months I bought a jogging stroller. This helped. Now lo is 17 months. between a cold winter and illness I rarely exercise. which is not good for my mental health. exercise is a priority for my dh so after work he is goes to the gym. my gym doesnt have a childcare center but that works great for some moms.
#9 of 28 Old 02-28-2010, 03:36 PM

I walk a lot. I either push DD in our jogger (bob revolution) or I wear her on my back (wrap/mt/ergo).

Good for me to get exercise, good for DD to get fresh air & vit D, good for the dog

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#10 of 28 Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 PM

I hike with the kids and do the occasional exercise DVD from the library. I was actually in better shape when they were younger and I could jog with them in the double stroller.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#11 of 28 Old 02-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
16lb Baby lifts, 100 reps a day
36lb Kid lifts, 10 reps a day
Vacuum lunges and floor sweeping 1-3 times a day.
45 minute walks pulling a wagon every dry day
Scrubbing mirrors, windows, walls, tables, counters
Many many bursts of run around the house, squats and lifts putting things away each day.
Tag, hide and go seek, follow the leader, and trampoline jumping

Who needs a gym membership?
who has the energy for a gym membership?

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#12 of 28 Old 02-28-2010, 10:00 PM
PPK

Running and yoga are the only things that keeps me slim. I push ds in the jogger, however, we live in a fairly warm climate. That said, when its too hot, I use a treadmill. If I had room, I'd buy one for the apt. Treadmills are one of the most boring things on the planet IMO, but it works!

I liked Bounce Back Fast program too, I bought the book on Amazon and her workout for post-partum abs is still all I use after 2.5 years, and it works great and isn't too difficult!
#13 of 28 Old 03-01-2010, 01:30 AM

We used our tax return one year to buy a treadmill. It's in the basement in front of the tv, so I can watch a show or a DVD or sometimes I just listen to music. It's my time and I guard it. Sometimes one of the big kids will join me, and sit on the couch to watch tv but most of the time it's just me. DH watches the toddler .

I just realized that you said you prefer a social environment...the treadmill works for me because I'm anti-social and don't like people lol.

I have 3 kids! : Lookit them go!!!
#14 of 28 Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Do you live near a gym with a childcare option? The one I used to go to (before I was too pregnant to move, let alone workout) has onsite childcare. I drop DD there and go do my thing for an hour. Sometimes I'd use the machines, other times I'd go to a class. If you have a Y nearby, this is a great option. At first I felt guilty for dropping her there, but she's never had any issues and it's good for her to see mama taking care of herself.

Now that I don't feel like going to the gym, I get on the treadmill or do a pregnancy workout DVD. It's not social, but it's the only way I can squeeze in exercise.

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!
#15 of 28 Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM

After my daughter was born (well a while after) I joined Stroller Strides, which a few people mentioned. A bunch of moms meet in the park with their babies and jogging strollers and we do a full work out. These work outs are tough too! Lots of strength and cardio. Plus the baby gets to spend time outside, meet other babies and you get to socialize with other moms. I really love it.

I do live in a warm climate year round, moving soon, so I'll need a new plan for winters...But either way I highly recommend it.
#16 of 28 Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 PM

I go to aquasize at our local indoor pool. There are evening classes so I can leave DD with DF. I can either put her to bed before I go, or else she will just hang out with Daddy. It is a lot of fun, and very social. Our pool even has Baby and Me aquasize for babies under 12 months.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#17 of 28 Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I wish I had home gym equipment! I walk with the kids a lot, run in nice weather with my 9 yo, and do exercise videos with them all (sometimes if I'm lucky and they're all asleep, I do one by myself).

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#18 of 28 Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm doing the 30 Day Shred (a DVD you can buy pretty much anywhere -- Target, Walmart, online, etc.). It's a HARD work-out, but it only takes 20 minutes a day. After my initial 30 days, I'm planning on doing it every other day indefinitely.

Edited because I meant to add that the work-out includes strength (you use hand weights), cardio, and abs.
#19 of 28 Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 PM

My hubby is a personal trainer, and he made me work out until recently, when i started making up my own. he still looks over them for me and gives me tips, though. He has to motivate me to work out, and I have to motivate him to eat well, so we're kind of funny that way. I do cardio 3 days a week and strength 2 days. If it's a nice day I will take Bobo for a walk in his stroller. On cold or otherwise bad days I wait til he goes to sleep at 7-8ish and walk up and down our stairs for a while. On strength days I do a 45 minute or so long workout after he goes to sleep. I would ask my husband to watch him but he works at night and sleeps in the day so there's not as much opportunity.
#20 of 28 Old 03-02-2010, 03:10 AM

Babywear, long walks and breastfeeding. I did an exercise type class once a week too (Irish dance 2 years ago, and yoga right now). With that combination, I lost 60 pounds after my son was born, and I had only gained 30 with his pregnancy.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#21 of 28 Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Banned

Some one I really look up to mentioned one time that two minutes of something each day can make a huge difference... so I decided to work out for 2 minutes each day. (haven't done it in a while!!! lol!) but when I did, it was right when I woke up, stretching, jumping jacks, knees up, sit ups, for how ever long I felt like it, but at least two minutes. Usually not more than 4-5. It always gave me more energy during the day, I felt better, really helped my weight.... the only thing is getting myself to do it.
#22 of 28 Old 03-02-2010, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I walk a lot, even when it is cold (I've got the right gear!) because I need the outdoor light to stay sane.

Sometimes I do yoga and pilates and my funny kids sometimes get on the floor and do it with me. Even my baby, starting at like 13 months, wanted to have a blanket for her "mat" and would lay on the floor and kick her legs, trying to copy what I was doing.

My advice is to start slow. Y'know, set a goal to exercise 15 minutes, 3 times a week and gradually work up to something more.

My friend has a blog about losing post baby weight. She offers online personal training services, in case you're interested in that.
#23 of 28 Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM

Now that it's been nice out we're going for walks everyday. I also do a prenatal workout in my house each day. In the summers we're outside a lot, walking, riding bike, swimming, etc.
#24 of 28 Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM

I gave up trying to do anything without him. It just doesn't fit our life. I try to take a good 30-60 minute walk everyday though it is not always possible in the winter. I do some yoga while we play on the floor and at night when we watch TV. Ds and I dance and dance. This actually makes me quite sweaty. Ds just loves it. We also play a game where ds makes "music" with pots and pans and spoons and I dance like a buffoon. When he stops I freeze and he cackles with glee. He usually doesn't want to stop this game so it can be quite a workout

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#25 of 28 Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 PM

Just like Lindsay I am doing the 30 day Shred, too. It's so short it's fairly easy to find the time (30 min from start to finish). I do it at random times - I have a 5, 3 and 1 year old. Sometimes before my DH goes to work and the kids are with him in the kitchen, sometimes during afternoon nap for the little ones while my 5 year old watches TV.

Otherwise I try to take walks, but I can't get much of a workout with a 5 year old slowly making his way behind me. We're actually DESPERATE to move to a walkable area (we live in the burbs) so I can get everywhere by foot. I think that is the surest way to stay in shape long-term.

#26 of 28 Old 03-09-2010, 06:59 PM

I started (a few weeks ago) working out with some friends, and it is the only thing that has been working for me since having children. Every morning (M-F) at 9 a.m. I pack up myself and the kids and we go to my friend's house. Another friend meets us there with her youngest. The kids (between the three of us there are 6 kids usually, sometimes more when one of us is watching someone else's kids!) all play together or watch a movie in an adjoining room, and we do some kind of workout video or EA Sports (I think that's what it's called? Might be EA Active or EA Fitness, can't remember) on the Wii. I don't have a Wii or any of the necessary gear (thigh strap and nunchucks) so I just follow along without being monitored. Or we do some other workout. We've been doing a lot of Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones lately, and that one is a killer (for me anyway, since I am really out of shape).

But it is great because meeting up with two other women keeps me accountable so I work out even when I don't want to. I know they are expecting me, so that gets us out the door every morning at 9, no matter what. I need that, or it is too easy for me to justify myself out of it, like I have in the past. And the kids just play and have a great time (for the most part. Occasionally my baby will get in my way while I am trying to exercise but it is still the best system I have found so far.). My son looks forward to it every day and has major meltdowns when we can't make it for some reason...

I am also doing the Couch to 5K program on my own (3 days a week after working out as I already mentioned), just because I have never liked running and I want to. I just started that this week. I am doing it M, W, and F when we get home from exercising. I put my baby down for a nap and my preschooler watches a show while I run on our treadmill.

I am also going to start some classes in the evenings, once or twice a week. I used to dance (through high school and college) and I miss it, so I am looking at doing a Zumba class (for fitness) and a ballet or hip-hop class (for fun).

When the weather warms up, we do a lot of hiking and cycling, but I don't do either one consistently enough or hard enough to lose all the weight I want to and to firm up my muscles like I want to. But it helps at least keep me healthy and helps me maintain my weight, even though it doesn't help enough with weight loss.

. catherine . yourfireyoursoul.blogspot.com .
mommy to one hilarious little boy [09.2006] and one cuddly baby girl [05.2009]

#27 of 28 Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 PM

I bought a babyjogger and ran. I've run about 600miles pushing DD now (and i've not been running regularly for about 8 months for various reasons). I plan to do the same with #2 when DD is at nursery/school/with DH.
#28 of 28 Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 PM

Please feel free to join the other thread here.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page