What is your household's yearly income? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What is your households yearly income?
Less than $25,000 62 10.39%
$25,000 - $35,000 66 11.06%
$35,000 - $45,000 73 12.23%
$45,000 - $55,000 62 10.39%
$55,000 - $65,000 54 9.05%
$65,000 - $75,000 72 12.06%
$85,000 - $95,000 69 11.56%
$95,000 or more 139 23.28%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 124 Old 07-27-2010, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
I think *most* people on govt help need it, are honest and hardworking, even if the work isn't paying off. I'm really glad I can work and contribute to the funds which are spread around to those who need it. I might need it someday, too, and I would hate to think of all those people who judge me for it.
Exactly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 124 Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I don't think I've been snarky in this thread but I can fill you in on why *I* have an attitude about people using government aid. I hear (on the internet) that people who abuse the system are in the minority and the vast majority are hard working people who are down on their luck. Thing is, pretty much without exception my personal experience is that the folks I know (most of them in my family) who are on government assistance tend to be permanent users. They lie, have more kids, and cheat the system in any way possible. I dislike them intensely and as a result I'm not a big fan of people being on government assistance because I seriously don't think I can come up with one person I know who is honest while on assistance. It also doesn't help that most of the people in my family who are on assistance are multi-generational assistance receivers. They have no interest in ever finding a job or getting off the dole. Oh, and almost all of them do an awful lot of drugs--mostly paid for by government assistance.

So that's why I have a chip on my shoulder. I don't actually think that every single person on aid is a loser, I just know so many that it's hard to keep an open mind.
My thought is that government assistance should not be relied upon, abused (obviously), and used only when absolutely necessary.

It's for the emergency situations in life.

We shouldn't get rid of it altogether. I fully support it's use as a tax expenditure.

Society should have a safety net. It's helps us all and keeps society civil and compassionate. I don't believe we should have elder and child poverty, in particular, and any poverty in general. I'm willing to put my tax dollars to that use.

And I'm not too naiive to believe I will never personally need to be on the receiving end at some point in life, particularly in this economy where things can change in a heartbeat.

DH or I could lose our jobs with little notice, or our investments could halve in a short time, or our house could go down $100k in value before our eyes. It has happened to many people.

We need a social safety net. But it should not be abused or over used.
#123 of 124 Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 AM

Our income used to be significantly higher. We've been hit hard by the recession. My dh sells wholesale building materials. In Atlanta. Where no one is buying or building anything. He got so excited recently over a 400 square foot addition to a patio at a local restaurant, cause he was able to sell the supplies. Three years ago, that would not have been a blip on the radar, you know?

He (and we) feels lucky to still have a job, after the massive downsizing that his company has done. But, even still, he has taken a 30% paycut in the last 3 years. In that time, we've also had 3 babies. Yikes.

i always thought I'd go back to work in a heartbeat if I needed to, but it's hard to find jobs in my field right now (nursing) as well, plus well, we now have 3 little kids to deal with daycare, you know?

So, we make due, but I do miss that old income.
#124 of 124 Old 07-30-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2GCNJ View Post
Anyway, my point is there are many many hard working contributing Americans that benefit from government assistance programs - at every economic level. And there are many Americans that cheat and lie to get ahead - or to keep their heads above water, as the case may be.
Great point!

I found this thread so enlightening.

Mama to Luka - 22 February 2005, Tiisetso - 18 September 2010 & 3 angel bubbles

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page