I would really appreciate advice...sorry if it is confusing...need help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently a SAHM to my darling 16 month old DS. I am taking time off from being a teacher. After this school year ends in another month, I am able to take another whole year off and still have job security. I feel very lucky to have this. I want to stay home with my munchkin forever but that may not be possible. I may have the opportunity to go back next year part time. I would work from 8:30-11:15 everyday. If I go back part time then I can stay part time for as long as I want.
So here is my dilemma...do I go back next year part time and then stay part time for the next few years OR do I stay home next year and take the chance that I will not get part time offered to me for the year I have to go back? Ideally I would stay home next year and then go back part time the following year, but there is no way of knowing if part time will be avaliable then.
Part of me feels like I should just take all the time off that is being given to me...and worry about the year I have to go back then...unfortunately the planner in me worries that I am taking too much of a gamble.
Help!!
#2 of 18 Old 05-19-2010, 11:12 PM

For me this depends on what you teach. I taught English and cannot fathom how moms manage to teach high school English full time and still have time to mother (I know they do it somehow...) because grading essays always took so much of my time at home. So if you teach a time-consuming class or subject then I would be safe and ensure the part-time schedule for the future. If you teach something with less planning and grading at home then you would be safer to take the gamble and stay home next year.

Karen , wife x 11 years to J and SAHM to Evie 9-19-08
#3 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

I reach Kindergarten. I am very organized and find that I can get all mu work done at school. Other than progress reports I wouldn't have to bring work home. Thanks for the thought.
#4 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 09:39 AM

I would take the part time now, and keep it as long as possible! Part time professional work is nearly impossible to find. Plus, if you have another baby, you will be glad to only have to work part time. What a perfect schedule!

good luck mama!!
#5 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing...that part time is such a gift and hard to get. I like to post and ask because others always seem to think of something I haven't.
#6 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM

I think under 15 hours a week is ideal for part-time work, and this would be a great schedule to maintain once any *other* babies arrive.

Good job, you!

Mom to a sunny toddler and a snoozy baby
#7 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynholly View Post
I am currently a SAHM to my darling 16 month old DS. I am taking time off from being a teacher. After this school year ends in another month, I am able to take another whole year off and still have job security. I feel very lucky to have this. I want to stay home with my munchkin forever but that may not be possible. I may have the opportunity to go back next year part time. I would work from 8:30-11:15 everyday. If I go back part time then I can stay part time for as long as I want.
So here is my dilemma...do I go back next year part time and then stay part time for the next few years OR do I stay home next year and take the chance that I will not get part time offered to me for the year I have to go back? Ideally I would stay home next year and then go back part time the following year, but there is no way of knowing if part time will be avaliable then.
Part of me feels like I should just take all the time off that is being given to me...and worry about the year I have to go back then...unfortunately the planner in me worries that I am taking too much of a gamble.
Help!!
I think it is wise to follow hope and desire rather than make decisions out of fear. It really is okay to trust that you want to stay home next year. A year is a long time. A part time job may or may not open up. Other means for you to stay home, beyond that year, may also surface.

#8 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
How much do you love your job and want to keep it? At this point where I live there is no such thing as teaching part time or I would probably do it. I really really love teaching. Getting into a long-term part time gig would be fulfilling for me. (And I don't know about your benefits but mine were kick @$$ and I miss them.)

I would probably do it in your position.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#9 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
I would take the part time now, and keep it as long as possible! Part time professional work is nearly impossible to find.
I agree. Former teacher here, and part-time work was pretty much unheard of at any of my schools. I'd take it. In a way, it sounds too good to be true. Do you have this in writing?
#10 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 PM

As a former Kindergarten teacher myself and one who loves the profession passionately, i understand the conundrum. I know here that part time work would be almost unheard of, and even a teaching position nearby is hard to find. Perhaps there is some way you can get a read on how possible it is that this position will still be available. I know my old principal would do what she could to get and keep excellent teachers, and might have made things work if she felt the person was worth it. Also, your childcare situation would make a big difference. Have you figured out who your son would stay with? is it financially worth it (it could easily be if you have a masters and certification)? how do you feel about the way the person who would watch him and their childcare style?
#11 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would take it as well, and I did something very similar. Last Dec I got offered a part time dream job, I wasn't looking, the timing wasn't right, but I accepted. I know that finding part time professional work doesn't happen that often, and honestly in my industry, I might never have another chance like this again. I am still mostly at home, some weeks are rough because I am in the office more but I am so glad that I did accept the offer. I am established in the office, I can continue to work my schedule for years if I want or and if I want more later then it is an option.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#12 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

You have all touched upon all my different feelings. Ont he one hand, part time is so hard to get, but on the other as hotmamacita pointed out...I am partly doing this because of fear. I don't like having to make decisions now because of what could or could not happen in a few years from now.
#13 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 01:32 PM

robynholly -- Good Luck to you with your decision. You will know what is best and wise for you.

fwiw....I decided to stay home when I was pregnant with my first. That was...12 years ago. I have not worked since then. I get afraid at times that I have killed my career, lost experience, etc... but every 18 months or so I get a job offer. Over the years, I have concluded with hope that when I *do* reenter the workforce, I will be able to find employment that I want. I may have to learn the new method of networking and/or computer programs but I really try to live in hope and follow my heart rather than live in fear.
#14 of 18 Old 05-23-2010, 05:28 PM

I agree to try not to make a decision out of fear.

Is there a way to 'try out' part-time work for a few weeks? And by that I mean perhaps volunteering on a short-term basis or taking a temp job for a month in the summer -- something that will help clarify your feelings either way?

Will you be able to afford to contine being a SAHM if a part-time position doesn't become available after a year? (And would you be emotionally satisfied/fullfilled without returning to work)? What if you have more children, how would that affect this decision?

I WAH'ed full time for about a year and now WAH part-time in a professional position. Quite honestly, I desperately want to NOT work at all. It just takes too much out of me. I have an almost 16mo too and I'm glad I'm able to be home with him 24/7 and could not IMAGINE if I had to leave him in the fall. I don't think I could do it. I guess I'm saying, imagine yourself in each situation...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#15 of 18 Old 05-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Do you have a plan for where your child would be while you are at work? Would she be watched by a family member or would you be sending her to daycare? Is there a good preschool nearby? I would say go back to work part time if you feel like you are going to need the job later on, as long as you have a positive place to leave your LO while you are there.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#16 of 18 Old 05-25-2010, 01:55 AM

I would factor the availability of part time childcare/ school options for your child into the equation.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#17 of 18 Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have any solid childcare options. I have a few options but nothing that I really love. Truth be told, I probably won't love any option other than me taking care of my child. Tyring to get a part time position and all that it entails is beginning to feel like a big pain. The bottom line is that I am trying to cover all my bases and plan for all the "what ifs" but that just isn't possible...is it?
#18 of 18 Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynholly View Post
I don't have any solid childcare options. I have a few options but nothing that I really love. Truth be told, I probably won't love any option other than me taking care of my child. Tyring to get a part time position and all that it entails is beginning to feel like a big pain. The bottom line is that I am trying to cover all my bases and plan for all the "what ifs" but that just isn't possible...is it?
Reread the bolded... that right there is your answer. No, you can't plan for every possibility. I'm all for being prepared but taking a job 'just in case' seems like overdoing it to me... Would you be able to survive on one income a couple years down the line, or are you currently living off of savings/maternity benefits/etc.? If there is a possibility that you could get by on just your DH's income, then you could spend the next year or so (that you were planning to take off anyway) figuring out how to make it work -- whether that's budgeting differently, helping your DH look for a new job, exploring WAH options, moving to a lower COL area, etc. I think if you want to stay home with your child then this would be a better way to prepare for 'what-ifs' then taking a position just out of fear.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page