Mothering Forum banner

Do you have a house cleaner?

8K views 106 replies 80 participants last post by  MamaPhD 
#1 ·
Lately it seems like I'm one of the only SAHM's I know who doesn't have a house cleaner. Even families who I know are living on a tight budget have paid help come in at least twice a month to clean house.

It's not something I can fit in my budget. I admit that it would be nice, but even if I had the extra money there are a bunch of other ways I'd prefer to spend it.

Mostly I'm just curious to know if this is common for SAHM's everywhere or if it is just a trend here in my area.

#2 ·
I don't have one, but I am one! I have a few clients who are SAHMs, and some of my friends who are SAHMs have cleaners as well.

I can definitely see the attraction, especially if there's room in the budget. It's so much different to have someone come in and clean your ENTIRE house, as opposed to cleaning yourself. And then they seem to be able to devote more time to decluttering. If I were a wealthy SAHM, I would most likely hire someone like myself.

#3 ·
around here it is xdh, my roommate and parenting partner. He is laid off right now. But even when he worked 60 hours a week, he still did vacuuming and other household cleaning. We do not live in a super clean home, but he likes to keep it neat. Like he picks up all the toys dd2 strews around and puts them back in his assigned spots for toys. If something needs deep cleaning like the tub, I do it, but it doesn't have to be done much since we don't use soap (us girls, he still does in his showers). He does the dishes too. My focus is on cooking, laundry, children and MDC

#4 ·
I don't. I can definitely see the appeal, but I can't justify it, even though the money wouldn't be an issue for us. I just personally can't see myself staying at home all day & paying someone else to clean my house. Not that there's something wrong with that scenario, it would just feel weird to me.

#5 ·
Yes, shortly after DD was born my mom surprised me by suggesting a cleaner. She has never ever used a cleaner, but our place was getting pretty pigsty-like. We have used a cleaner off and on since then. We now have someone coming in every two weeks for 3hrs each time. She does bathrooms, vacuuming, mopping, oven, etc. We do our own tidying, laundry, etc obviously, but scrubbing the tub or toilet would not get done in a timely manner and our house would start looking really dirty, instead of just cluttered!

#6 ·
Heck yes I have a house cleaner!
Thankfully we can afford it, because I have three kids six and under and am pregnant with a fourth little one, and I'm DEAD TIRED! Of course I still have to clean every day, but once a week the house is tidy from top to bottom, all at once, which I could not do on my own.

It's definitely a luxury that I don't take for granted, as I'm so thrilled not to have to do the deeper cleaning, like the bathtubs and dusting and everything. Best of all, I feel like we're committed to getting everything really picked up and presentable at least once a week.

The downside? My kids wreck the place in less time than it takes to have it cleaned!

#7 ·
YES!!! Well, it was only after the birth of DS2 that I was felt like I needed the help and that DH agreed to it. I only have her come once/month and it's only $85. While I really love the help, it's not a forever thing for me....only until DS2 starts sleeping through the night and gets on a regular schedule hence giving me time to get some things done.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by becoming View Post
I don't. I can definitely see the appeal, but I can't justify it, even though the money wouldn't be an issue for us. I just personally can't see myself staying at home all day & paying someone else to clean my house. Not that there's something wrong with that scenario, it would just feel weird to me.
I know what you mean. I have one client who does shift work so she's often home with her baby when I clean. She just sits and watches TV most of the time, and sometimes I want to encourage her to use the time to de-clutter, because then I could do a more thorough job of cleaning. Isn't that silly? I've resisted the urge, so far.

#10 ·
Yes, but only sporadically. I usually get one when we are having visitors and/or it's been a while since I've been able to really deep-clean. I don't get the chance to give the bathrooms and kitchen the attention they need, so it's worth it for me to spend $60 every couple of months for someone to do that. It would be cheaper for me to have our babysitter watch the kids so I could clean, but it's within our budget for me to have a cleaner 4-5 times a year to give me a little break.

#11 ·
No, but I would like to have one......I think. I am a terrible housekeeper. If I keep the house clean, I feel like I don't get much time with DD. If I get the time I need with DD, the house is a wreck. In any case, it's never good enough for my mother. She lives out of state, but I still feel guilty. I am getting better about it though. I'm not so sure the reason I haven't tried a house cleaner yet is because of the money or because I feel guilty about considering it. It would be a tight squeeze financially, but it might actually be worth it in the end of it. I could get more stuff decluttered (which is why I have trouble with the cleaning anyway) and feel less stressed about it.

I definitely need help either inside or outside because I cannot do it all. I think if I had a house cleaner I'd be more likely to keep things better tidied up and I'd have more time to make more home made meals.

#12 ·
no. I don't think it's super common around here, so I never even though about it. Perhaps it's time to see what it would cost here and consider squeezing it into the budget. We have kind of a large house and I feel like all I do besides taking care of the kids is spend time cleaning it.

#13 ·
Don't I wish, no way I could fit it into the budget. My house isn't perfect but its presentable 90% of the time. Only time its really bad is when Im sick or injuried or one of the girls are. Next baby I have I already told DH that hes getting me a house cleaner to come in once a week for the first 6 weeks so I don't have to worry about cleaning.

#14 ·
I don't. I've thought about it, I've even interviewed a few, but at the end of the day I can't get myself to spend the money when I can just as easily do it myself. Plus most of the housecleaners I've interviewed don't seem like they are very thorough, I've heard "swiffer wet jet" mentioned more than a few times. I would love for someone to come in and scrub my bathtubs once a week (my least favorite job, especially now that I have a pretty round belly) and clean my light fixtures but it seems ike everyone I talk to just wants to do the basic every day stuff like sweeping and mopping and scrubbing the toilets. Maybe if I find what I'm looking for I'll hire someone but there's no way I am going to pay someone $80 a week to swiffer my floors.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by becoming View Post
exactly how I feel.

But my house is not as clean as I would like, so I've been entertaining the thought. DH doesn't think it's dirty, but I do. He still says we should get help if it will make me feel better.

I've been thinking of seriously shaving our two cats because our house is too big for me to clean the cat hair off of every surface all the time.

#18 ·
I do. Every Friday. This is the first thing I budget for every month (after bills). I avoid shopping and the malls and it all works out. I have less clutter and a cleaner home.

It brings me great joy and makes for a happier Mommy/Wife.

It's a marriage saver.

#20 ·
no. nobody cleans like i do! the thought of paying someone for something that i can do myself just kills me. this is also the reason why i just cant get facials/manicures/buy "artsy fartsy" items and certain toys and food ... crazy, i know, but that little voice in my head saying, "i could MAKE/DO this!" never shuts up

#21 ·
I'm just getting someone now, one week postpartum after having baby #4.
I homeschool as well so my house is crazy busy all the time.

I HATE cleaning, too.

If my kids were in school, I'd have 8 hours of kid-free time, and since we'd only choose private school, the money I'm saving, I'm using to give myself a break in other ways.

#22 ·
Not usually. For this year, we are living with my parents, and they have a cleaner in twice a week. I feel completetly spoiled.

When dh gets back and we move back home, no housekeeper. Fortunately, this year happened to also be a 'turning point' year with my kids reaching ages of more independance and helpfulness, so it won't be too bad.

#24 ·
No, but I would LOVE one!

Although for Mother's Day my DH told me my gift was to have this cleaning service come to the house once. They send out 4 women and in 4 hours they clean your house from floor to ceiling (even the blinds! woo hoo!). I decided to have them come out when I'm about 37-38 weeks pregnant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.