deleted - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
 
yukookoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ca
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

d
 

yukookoo is offline  
#2 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM
 
kittywitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Room of Requirement
Posts: 13,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your dh does a lot, IME! Mine works about 20 hours a week 7 months a year. He now (this is pretty new) takes out the trash, mows once a week (I stopped this year), and has been given dishwasher duties. Though I do all of those things on occasion. He has been more hands on with the kids so that helps when he's around b/c I'm a little burnt out. He plays with our toddler a lot, too, and occasionally gets her food. Sometimes he helps out with dinner, too. I call him my "sous chef". I tell him what to do, he does it and I do the baking and seasoning.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif
 
  

kittywitty is online now  
#3 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 02:14 PM
 
Oriole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: by the ocean, lakes and mountains
Posts: 4,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukookoo View Post
Dh takes out the garbage and takes care of his own laundry and sometimes will wash the dishes he uses, take care of his own car, like gets an oil change, if i ask or demand he will take mine in too, but never clean it or wash it or anything like that.
that's normal in this house, with the exception of the fact that if DP does the dishes, he does it for everyone. Then again, I am the one usually doing them. I cook 90 % meals, although, DP sometimes makes dinner or lunch during weekends.

Quote:
I do everything else pretty much, he thinks he is being superman if he plays with dd and i mean play as in friends because he takes no responsibility for actual parenting, making her do anything she doesnt want to etc.
that's a real problem. What does he say when you bring this up?

Quote:
ex: last night i went out to dinner with friends for the first time since dd was born. He took her out for a burrito and ice cream. They left at 630 (her bedtime is 7) didnt come home until right before i did at 9:00!
Is exclamation mark a good thing or a bad thing? that sounds like fun for everyone.

In our house, I do majority of housekeeping. When DP was unemployed, he did majority of housekeeping. I don't mind. It seems very fair to me. I get home 3-4 hours before he does, so it's natural that I have more time to relax and to pitch in. His commute is by far more demanding than mine. I'm okay with being the one to wash the floors and vacuum the carpets. I'm okay with being the one to wash the bathrooms. I can tell that he is more tired than I am. At different times in our lives depending on work schedules etc. we had different arrangements in house responsibilities. However, parenting was always on his shoulders: as dsd is his daughter, and for variety of reasons it made more sense for him to uphold the discipline with DSD. I take her to appointments, make sure she gets to work on time, spend fun time with her, but he checks in with the teachers, and okays outings, discusses behavior, etc.

Some things to think about:

Working FT is hard. It is. Knowing someone depends on your paycheck is tough and stressful. Having someone for a boss is stressful. Do you think he feels appreciated?

When he does parent your daughter, do you criticize or allow him to do it his way?

In any case, I think you and your dh could use some time to reconnect and discuss how you are approaching parenting. Also, I think there is an issue of maybe not feeling appreciated on both sides here. Do you think he'd be receptive to a discussion for all of these topics?

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Oriole is offline  
#4 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 03:03 PM
 
MommaCrystal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband is responsible for almost all outside work. I do help with our summer garden. But he mows, maintains everything etc.

He maintains both vehicles including keeping them clean and gassed up at all times as well as serviced.

He unloads the dishwasher every day.

He does the grocery shopping and much of the cooking.

We have a rotating daily chore list. I go over it daily and assign every member of the household tasks. So he might vacuum or dust or sweep or mop. Whatever needs doing that I won't get to. I'm busy! We both volunteer A LOT. The kids are in activities. We have church. I do occasional freelance photography gigs. And I'm homeschooling.

Crazy house! I couldn't manage it without him!
MommaCrystal is offline  
#5 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 03:29 PM
 
Drummer's Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 11,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It doesn't really sound like your DH only does 1% of the work, TBH. He sounds like a typical dad. I wouldn't have had a problem with staying out to have ice cream until 9 pm with a 2 yo, considering we don't even eat dinner until that time some nights. I know you said 7 is bedtime, but for a fun evening, when mom is gone so things are 'off' anyhow, it doesn't seem like it hurts anything. I certainly wouldn't say anything negative about it to him, because you see, it will make him want to do even less of the parenting if he feels like someone is criticizing every move. Similar with the sweater incident. At almost 3 yrs old, I would assume my kid could either go get a blanket or warm clothing by themself - or let an adult know. I can't see being upset at my DH if our youngest was running around in half naked even when it's cool inside.

I do understand wanting him to take more charge of the responsibility as in instead of having to be told it's time to change the baby's diaper, taking the initiative himself. I struggle with that, too, at times - even after 4 kids - but I just don't think a lot of men are wired that way, if that makes sense. Not to say my DH never changes a diaper on his own w/o prompting - but that's just an example.

Anyhow, to answer your question, I do feel like my DH does a lot around the house - from yardwork, to trash/recycling, cooking, dishes, and laundry. Not all of it, of course, as he works full-time, and I'm a SAHM - so naturally, I tend to do the majority (though, on the weekends, I feel like he does way more than me). As far as parenting the kids - I'd also say I do the most, but he does a lot, too. Again, it's me who is home all day, and he who works to support our family.

Good luck talking to him about taking more responsibility and making your DD do things she may not want to. I know it is hard feeling like you always have to be the bad guy, and it does sound like you need his support and help in that area. Maybe try to focus on the things he does do, to keep it positive, while still letting him know how overwhelmed you feel at times.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Drummer's Wife is offline  
#6 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 04:24 PM
 
taramoon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dh isn't "officially" responsible for anything except mowing the lawn. his work extends beyond the 8 hrs. a day/40 hrs. a week quite often and i can't complain because we are getting by on his salary alone. many evenings he also comes home from work then goes to the gym, so i'm left with a lot. i know how important it is to him to stay in shape, so i really can't deny him that. he gives when he can and i try to leave it at that. work can be really stressful for him, so i try not to expect him to start on chores the minute he gets home.
i agree with pps that getting upset because he was out late one night doing something fun with your lo is not worth it. i had a similar incident with dh & ds recently where we got in a huge fight because he brought ds home later than i would've liked. i realized later i was being too controlling. they both had come back in a good mood and i was the one who turned it bad. try to think about letting dh enjoy time with your lo his way or he won't want to if he gets criticized every time. part of being a kid is getting to stay up late sometimes and have different experiences with different people. as much as they thrive on a regular schedule, IMO they also thrive on varied experiences.
i also agree with pps that dh just isn't wired to always think to do "caretaking" things for ds without me reminding him(changing diaper, brushing teeth, etc.) i think it's a guy thing
taramoon13 is offline  
#7 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 06:19 PM
 
BreakfastyMichele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband works for money from 9-5 weekdays. I stay home during those hours. During the rest of the week--mornings, evenings and weekends--we share duties more or less equally.

We absolutely have equal parenting duties, including discipline and play. Some household duties--cooking and dishes, laundry, beds, tidying the house, correspondence, grocery shopping--we share equally, while others--lawncare, trash, anything that turns my stomach, things involving heavy lifting (him) and gardening, organization, home improvement, non-grocery shopping (me)--are divided.

It works well for us. We pay close attention to the other's mood and energy level, so we're definitely sharing work and neither of us is exhausted.

Mom to a sunny toddler and a snoozy baby
BreakfastyMichele is offline  
#8 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 06:33 PM
 
cappuccinosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SW Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reading your post, to me this doesn't sound like a "division of labor" problem but something much deeper.

From your description, it is not 99% to 1%. It may not feel equitable to you, but the first step in resolving something like this is to lay things out accurately and think them through rationally. If you say "I'm doing *everything*" his response to that would be a perfectly reasonable "That's unfair to me", because it is. He does work, and does bring home money. Yes, he'd be working if he were single, but so would you (unless you're independently wealthy ). So if you want to be home, then yes his 8 hours of work is very valuable in allowing you to be able to be home. If there are bills that aren't being covered, and bills he doesn't know about, it's time to haul out all the financial stuff and hash it out together with him.
As to caring for the child--it sounds like he does it. He doesn't have to do it exactly your way in order to be loving his daughter and taking on some of the responsibilities of raising her and caring for her. Staying up 'til nine with her daddy once in a while is not the end of the world, and in fact is a pretty sweet treat.

Your dh does a lot more in the home than mine does. But we do not have this issue. Dh is out of the country so literally 100% of the daily stuff is on me. Not fun, but it's temporary.

When he's home he:
-works 40-80 hours a week. He has full-time work and then a rental business after that
-does all the home maintenance
-takes care of the cars
-does all the outside work
-participates in the adacemic and moral training of our children whenever he can, and I anticipate this increasing as the children get older and can work with him more often.
-fills in for me when I am sick (which is rare). When I was going through miscarriage, he cared for the boys during times when he'd normally be working so I could get a rest. When I've been laid out iwth morning sickness, he'd take over supper cleanup and evening care of the boys so I could lie down.
cappuccinosmom is offline  
#9 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 07:35 PM
 
wife&mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH works full time. But he gets up with the kids, gets them dressed, makes them breakfast (either eggs, pancakes, oatmeal, etc), empties the dishwasher, does the dishes and cleans the kitchen before he gets dressed and leaves for work. When he gets home the kids are in bed, so no night time parenting. On the weekends he does probably more of the parenting than I do because I try to step back and take the help while he is there. As far as house work goes, he does what I mentioned above plus he takes out the trash/recycle. He lets the dog out each morning and cleans up the accidents if she has any (she's old!) and when he is letting her out he waters the garden. On the weekends he will do the yard work like mowing, etc. About once a month he will clean the toilets (I do the rest of the bathroom and the in between stuff but he "deep cleans" them). He also will often sweep the kitchen. We go grocery shopping together on the weekends. He does all the car maintenance. He'll wash them, too.

So then I cook dinner every night. And make the kids lunch. I keep the rest of the house clean that isn't part of what I mentioned above. If he doesn't get to it I do the dishes, etc. throughout the day. I am in charge of all the bills. I do the meal planning. I do the vast majority of parenting during the week. I do the laundry (well, sometimes he will do his actually... he just does it, it's not that I won't). I clean up all the toys. I make all appoints or do any phone calls that need to be made. I take the kids to different playdates and activities. I also do homeschool with my older DS (and DD tries to participate, too).

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out on both ends but that is the major stuff.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

wife&mommy is offline  
#10 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 PM
 
damona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: middle of nowhere, wisconsin
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dh works third shift, so he is either gone or sleeping while i'm dealing with kids and stuff.

his jobs in the house are to take out the garbage and recycle stuff, change the catbox, and do the dishes. even those i have to beg him to do, most of the time. at this very moment there is not a single piece of silverware in the drawer, cuz it's all in the sink. but i will be darned if i'm going to wash it!

he does, during the school year, get everyone up when he gets home in the morning, and get them dressed and on the bus, so there is that. and in summer he handles the early morning stuff so i can sleep a little more. i am so not a morning person. no one even tries to talk to me before 9am, usually. i am totally useless before that, i admit it

also, he will let me go and stay over at my best friends house on his nights off, once in awhile. when i get home, tho, ugh, what a disaster. you can't find the floor through the crunchy coating of chips and crackers.

in general, the cleaning, childcare, dr appts, therapy, laundry, school functions, etc... all fall on me.

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
damona is offline  
#11 of 41 Old 05-30-2010, 08:07 PM
 
annethcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: on the beautiful prairie of MN
Posts: 9,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your DH sounds pretty typical.

I mean this gently, but it sounds like you have pretty high standards for you DH when it comes to parenting. Yes, he's doing things differently than YOU would do them, but that's okay. It's SO hard for mamas (especially SAHMs) to let go and let their DHs parent in a way that feels right to them. Without realizing it, you may be discouraging your DH from spending more parenting time with your DD. From the way you described the clothing incident in your OP, it sounds like you came down pretty hard on your DH because he didn't do things the way you wanted him to. I'd be willing to bet that your DH isn't going to volunteer to dress your DD again anytime soon.

To me, it doesn't sound like your DH isn't parenting, it sounds like he's not parenting the way you want him to parent.

All of that aside, I've BTDT. It's hard when you're learning new roles in a relationship. I felt overwhelmed when I was a new SAHM with a baby. But I kept talking with my DH, and let him know what I wanted him to do. For us, we didn't make a chore chart or come up with specific jobs for each of us. We just decided that we'd be more conscious about being PARTNERS and splitting the work evenly between us. It's not my job to tell DH to do something, and it's not his job to tell me to do anything. If I need a break, or I could use my DH's help with something, I tell him. And vice versa. I will admit that it took a few years before we really perfected this, but at this point, it works GREAT for us. It just takes a lot of good communication to make it work. Also, we've learned that often it's the person who cares the most about a certain task who does that task. DH doesn't care if the bathroom is wiped down, so I'm the person who does that. I have stronger feelings about nutrition, so I'm the person who does most of the meal planning, shopping, and cooking. DH cares about what the lawn looks like, so he does the yard maintenance. I care more about the kids taking music lessons, so I transport them to those classes. DH cares more about getting the kids to bed early, so he supervises bedtime.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
annethcz is offline  
#12 of 41 Old 05-31-2010, 08:58 PM
 
Joyster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
our house is 50/50. Some of our tasks are divided by our strengths, such as me doing the bulk of the cooking, DH does a lot of the general tidying. He also does a bunch of yard work so long as I'm out there with him. That said, when I'm well, a lot of it is done without him since I am home all day.

As for the kids, it's definitely at least 50/50, if not more on his part when he comes home. He misses them, he wants to spend time with them and is an exceptional father. He has no problems taking them for the day or even weekend if I have something to do.

Since I've been really anemic, he's been stepping up to the plate and "yelling" at me if I do too much. I can't help it, I want to get a few tasks done each day at least, I feel like it's my job, but he's been very big on me resting a lot.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
Joyster is offline  
#13 of 41 Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 PM
 
WhiteHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To the OP, I resonate a lot with what you are saying. My DH works long hours (from 6-6 pm nearly every wkday) and I stay home with our 2 yo and 15 yo. I don't expect him to do anything around the house - he is too busy. The "chores" he does around here are car maintenance and mowing/ trimming. Our yard is really small and it takes less than 20 min to finish it up including the edging, etc. so it's not a huge chore - sort of like me doing a load of dishes and wiping down the counters. So hopefully he does not feel he is overburdened by that. Timewise, he spends a lot of time with the 15 yo at ball games/practices or fixing ours or other family members' or friends' cars.

What frustrates me is it seems there is never time for DH to play with our 2 yo. I have to ask him to "watch" him so I can make dinner. Usually our dinner dishes are left till the morning because daddy does not have time to play with DS so I can clean up. Then I hear him complain that the kitchen is a mess "all the time." It's not that he doesn't have the time, it's just he wants to relax and not have to bother with DS. I have also heard him complain that he is "supporting" me and I don't do anything. I guess that is where the bitterness comes from - he insists that I don't do anything, and don't have a care in the world. I am toying with the idea of actually not doing anything so he can see what the house would look like in reality.

Christ Lovin' SAHM to JL 11/07, MP 5/95 and Empty Nester to BT and RM 7/89
WhiteHorse is offline  
#14 of 41 Old 06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
 
BreakfastyMichele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the reality here is that lots of working parents don't grasp what staying home entails. Partners who come home at night and just want a break don't understand that SAHMs often go without ANY breaks during the day. (When she doesn't nap, I can't check email, clean up the kitchen or do much else around the house. I *know* parents who work use little 5-10-15 minute chunks to fool around on the Internet or otherwise turn off their brains.)

The reality is that everyone needs a break sometimes, and when we had kids, we left decidedly less free time in all of our lives. Just because we're the mothers, and just because we're home during the day doesn't mean we should be responsible for the kids if dad wants to take an evening off. And, if we do choose to give him whole evenings off, we deserve them too. Parenting is a 50/50 thing, regardless of what we do 9-5.

Or am I just living in dreamland? Do I have the only understanding husband in the world?

Mom to a sunny toddler and a snoozy baby
BreakfastyMichele is offline  
#15 of 41 Old 06-01-2010, 05:27 PM
 
dahlialia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The short answer: DH and I have pretty equal amounts of time "off" and time "on". We have different burdens.

His are primarily: work, the morning routine, DD1's bedtime, garbage, car, lawn, dog, and giving me a break from the baby (which often involves running errands with her)
dahlialia is offline  
#16 of 41 Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 PM
 
gatorgirl11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm the breadwinner but my role as wife/mother is undiminished. I still do the laundry, shopping and the cooking. My husband does breakfast, packs lunches, brings them to school and picks them up and takes them to the park/activities. He brings them home after and we split bath time and I do dinner and bedtime. Weekends it's pretty much all me, except Sat morning when I get my "sleep in" day!
gatorgirl11 is offline  
#17 of 41 Old 06-01-2010, 05:47 PM
 
artgoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Suburban hell
Posts: 13,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our house runs fairly similar. Now that our DS is older he does a lot more out of the house with him, bike rides etc. He does diaper changes and is actively involved in our DD's potty learning.

But I can probably count on one hand the number of times he's given our kids a bath. His mode of getting them to bed is to let them stay up watching TV until the crash out then carry them to their beds once asleep. And the housework? all my responsibility. He does do trash and our land lord pays for a gardener but DP does the mid week yard care.

For me it's a bit of a trade of. First I think I'm good at what I do and I do find it rewarding. My kids are well taken care of, they eat healthy foods I cook from scratch. My house isn't perfectly neat at any given time but it's in alright shape. Not working out of the home also gives me the time to dedicate to things I otherwise would not have ime for is i was working outside of the home. I belong to a few committees at church, at my son's school, and the local homeless shelter. So I'm out at a meeting one or two nights a week. An yes the kids will be up and still in heir clothes, no teeth brushed yet with toys all over the place when I get home. But they had fun. They got to eat Chinese take out or pizza for dinner which to them is a treat. And really i's not the end of the world. I got to go out and do something meaningful for me. Now I get everyone all ready for bed, and i can leave the dinner dishes until tomorrow if I'm tired.

Also if DP loaded the dishwasher, I'd probably pull everything out and rearrange it the "right" way. I know I can be a bit of a control freak, so I let it go that I'm the one who has to take care of things.
artgoddess is offline  
#18 of 41 Old 06-01-2010, 06:01 PM
 
tanyam926's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh works about 65 hrs/wk so I do the bulk of the housework, cooking, and the childcare since I am home. He always takes care of the trash and the vehicles.

I think the main reason it works so well for us is bc my dh shows me so much appreciation for everything that I do. He tells me and he shows me. If he comes home from a long day at work and I have had a rough day with the kids he will start helping me around the house w/out even being asked. He is very tuned into how I am feeling and if I need any support.

We also both get time off bc we understand and appreciate how hard we both work for the family. Dh usually plays golf and I do various things like go to movies w/friends, get a massage, etc.

Op, it will take some time to settle into a routine once the expectations are hashed out. Plus, it can feel like you do everything and he doesn't help much if you don't FEEL appreciated. It may not be an accurate reflection percentage wise, but if you don't feel like a team then the burden is heavier.

PPs gave great advice about letting your dh find his own way w/the lo, and really showing him appreciation for what he does. I've found that if my dh feels loved and appreciated he is more likely to show me the same.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
tanyam926 is offline  
#19 of 41 Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 PM
 
doubledutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dh occasionally takes out the trash or recycling, especially if i put it by the back door so he can just grab it on his way out to smoke. he will also sometimes take the cans to the curb on trash day if i remind him, but usually i do that because it makes me too mad when he forgets (even when i remind him!). he takes the dog out more often than i do. he snowblows, i shovel. he mows (usually), and i do the edging, planting, weeding, etc. most days, he will do something around the house - if not one of the things i mentioned above, then he may do a load of dishes or pick up the toys. i do the sweeping/mopping, the bathroom, the laundry, all shopping, errands & appointments, paying bills, most home maintenance, car maintenance, most of dishes and all deep cleaning. i'd say we share cooking and parenting pretty evenly.

he's the sahp. i'm the wohp.

clearly i have a biased perspective, but i do think that in the hours when both parents are home, housework and parenting should be shared. it's not right that he works 8 hours, 5 days/week, and does almost nothing at home, while you are "on duty" 24/7. even if you get 8 hours of sleep, that's still 16 hours a day that you're working. or maybe you stop the housework when dd goes to bed at night and when she's napping (if she naps) . . . so maybe you're "only" working 12 hours a day (seven days a week). when do you get a break? how is this fair?

are you really saying you just went out kid-free (for fun, not on an errand) for the first time in almost three years?!
doubledutch is offline  
#20 of 41 Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastyMichele View Post
I think the reality here is that lots of working parents don't grasp what staying home entails. Partners who come home at night and just want a break don't understand that SAHMs often go without ANY breaks during the day. (When she doesn't nap, I can't check email, clean up the kitchen or do much else around the house. I *know* parents who work use little 5-10-15 minute chunks to fool around on the Internet or otherwise turn off their brains.)

The reality is that everyone needs a break sometimes, and when we had kids, we left decidedly less free time in all of our lives. Just because we're the mothers, and just because we're home during the day doesn't mean we should be responsible for the kids if dad wants to take an evening off. And, if we do choose to give him whole evenings off, we deserve them too. Parenting is a 50/50 thing, regardless of what we do 9-5.

Or am I just living in dreamland? Do I have the only understanding husband in the world?

I totally agree with this. In fact I don't frequent this board very often because the general attitude among many of your SAHMs is that your WOH partners "work so hard" so they "deserve a break" when they get home, and I think this is crap. Sorry. It makes me mad.

OP I think that your husband is milking a good thing he's got going with you. Time to draw a line in the sand and make him responsible for more of the parenting and household maintenance. Even if he does not do things how you would like at least he will be an equally contributing partner to your family. It sounds like now all he is doing is bringing in the paycheck. And frankly the only reason he is able to do that with no cares is because you are at home watching his kid!

Honestly I didn't have my kid until I was almost 35 and so I worked full time at a very difficult job in the years before that. I can tell you that being a SAHP is harder (and less rewarding IMO) than working a "real" job. One reason is that the responsibilities are never absent...you never get a real break. And like the proverbial frog in boiling water, we get used to having the constant expectations and stress on us. We get used to constantly working, so eventually stop expecting a break.

Well its time for your DH to stop expecting the break.

My DH works from 8-6 M-F and often does many more hours of work from home (although I help him with some of that). If I cook he does the dishes (and vice versa). He gets up every morning with DS so I can have two blessed unbroken hours of sleep. He changes and washes diapers. He bathes the kid. He parents. He does everything I do, because if he does not I will make his life hell. I made this clear before DS was born (heck, before we got married actually), but I think he would have done all this anyways because he is a pretty responsible guy.
Chamomile Girl is offline  
#21 of 41 Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM
 
sunny*pa*mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm kinda with Chamomile Girl on this one. My dp makes everyone a hot breakfast, takes the kids to school, does bath and bedtime. We split most other things - yardwork, cooking, baking bread, market. The bills auto-pay. I do most of the housework and laundry (he does his own) but after dinner he takes the kids out to play. I have a seasonal business so he knows how hard it is to take care of active boys for 10 hours a day with no break. We both pitch in so that we have time alone at night after the kids are asleep to spend together. Some days I don't feel like doing a darn thing and he comes home from work to a messy house and crazy kids. He picks up the slack without ever making me feel bad for needing a break. Yes, he does work hard but we both agree my job is harder. He can run with his friends at lunch every day and has the great luxury of using the bathroom solo. Our division of labor is fluid though. If one of us is busy with a house or outdoor project, the other one takes care of the child and domestic duties. No one in our home gets a break until all of the work is done for the day. Give that man a honey-do list.
sunny*pa*mom is offline  
#22 of 41 Old 06-02-2010, 02:40 AM
 
snarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my husband was the SAHD, my responsibilities as WOHM included wake up, breakfast, get dressed, hand off for day, cook dinner on return home, bathtime, bedtime. I did all weekend parenting (except joint family time) and a lion's share of night parenting. I don't do much cleaning, but I grocery shop, cook, do household finance, arrange medical care/vet care, garden, maintain my own car.
snarky is offline  
#23 of 41 Old 06-02-2010, 02:53 AM
 
odenata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I totally agree with this. In fact I don't frequent this board very often because the general attitude among many of your SAHMs is that your WOH partners "work so hard" so they "deserve a break" when they get home, and I think this is crap. Sorry. It makes me mad.
Yes. I really don't get this kind of attitude at all. I really can't believe all the responses to this that say he's a "typical dad" or "wow, he does a lot!"

My DH works full time at an office. I work full time at home. When we are both home, we split things so we both get breaks. He does bedtime and gets up with the baby in the morning because I nurse and take care of baby at night. I make dinner, he does the dishes.

And eventually one of us will get around to cleaning those bathrooms...
odenata is offline  
#24 of 41 Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 AM
 
scottishmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in a little apartment
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post
Yes. I really don't get this kind of attitude at all. I really can't believe all the responses to this that say he's a "typical dad" or "wow, he does a lot!"

My DH works full time at an office. I work full time at home. When we are both home, we split things so we both get breaks. He does bedtime and gets up with the baby in the morning because I nurse and take care of baby at night. I make dinner, he does the dishes.

And eventually one of us will get around to cleaning those bathrooms...
I like to "give him a break" at night because he does statistical analysis all day and he needs to let his brain decompress. Dh does better at work when he can relax at home so I try to create a non stressful environment for him. I'm extremely grateful that he works so hard for his family, he in turn is grateful that I work so hard for my family. Of course if I ask him to do something he does it without complaint, but he doesn't have a lot of "chores" per se (although he did a lot when dd was a baby! When there's a baby in the house it's "all hands on deck!")

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
scottishmommy is offline  
#25 of 41 Old 06-03-2010, 01:02 AM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post
I like to "give him a break" at night because he does statistical analysis all day and he needs to let his brain decompress. Dh does better at work when he can relax at home so I try to create a non stressful environment for him. I'm extremely grateful that he works so hard for his family, he in turn is grateful that I work so hard for my family. Of course if I ask him to do something he does it without complaint, but he doesn't have a lot of "chores" per se (although he did a lot when dd was a baby! When there's a baby in the house it's "all hands on deck!")
My DH is a history professor and I like to tell him that nothing rests the brain like doing the dishes!
Chamomile Girl is offline  
#26 of 41 Old 06-03-2010, 01:46 AM
 
Honey693's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH doesn't have set responsibilities with DD and it depends on whether it's a weeknight or weekend. He does a few diaper changes every night during the week, occassioanlly puts DD to bed, usually washes her up after dinner, does the normal play thing and will read any book she drags over to him. This is if he works a 40 hour week. If it's more he pretty much just comes home to eat, play with DD for a few and goes back to work until we're all asleep

On weekends diaper changes are about 50/50, he almost always does breakfast for DD especially now that I'm pregnant, we alternate bedtime and naps, he plays with her a lot more and there's usually one fun trip (park, play place, etc) that we all take.

Around the house he dose 95% of the yard/garage work and will do random chores if I ask. I prefer to do them myself though b/c I don't like the way he does most of them (I've had too many nice shirts shrunk in the wash b/c I forgot to tell him to drip dry them). He cooks once or twice a week and I cook three or four times.

obstruct livery vehicles

Honey693 is offline  
#27 of 41 Old 06-03-2010, 02:01 AM
 
danbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH is an equal parent with DS. He works 2nd shift so in the mornings he gets up w/DS and lets me sleep in since DS still likes to nurse multiple times during the night. He pretty much does everything w/DS until he leaves for work. I never have to ask him to change a diaper, if it needs to be done, he does it. I also let him do it "his way" and bite my tongue unless it's a safety issue.

DH is responsible for all outside work except the garden because that's my hobby. Even that he'll help with when there's hard work (hand cultivating) or tons of strawberries to pick. When he's off, he cooks dinner once or twice and it's not mac'n cheese - we cook everything from scratch and he'll look up new recipes to try. Basically, when he's working I'm also working caring for our son. I consider my job to be a mom first and housekeeper 2nd. When DH is home we split what needs to be done as much as possible. I try to give him some free time and he does the same for me.
danbee is offline  
#28 of 41 Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 AM
 
Grace and Granola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 1,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll answer the question, but I agree that your issue doesn't sound like a division of labor problem. Your 99% to 1 sounds more for the parenting area rather than chores. And I can tell you I would feel upset if my dh only did HIS laundry and took care of HIS car.

In our house, dh works from home, but he works about 12 hours per day/6 days a week. He has 2 hours per day designated as "family time" where he is basically just dad. We eat dinner and he plays with the kids. Sometimes he'll take them out to a playground, sometimes they wrestle in the family room. As far as household work, he does all the outside stuff like yard and garbage. Except the veg garden. He deals with anything having to do with the car (we have one) and the garage. He also does all the dishes and all the laundry. I know these are big jobs, but they are two jobs that he can put in about 1/2 hour per day and it's done. Not hard to remember, that's why we like it that way!

He doesn't do alot of the parenting stuff, he is great with the kids, but he is almost never responsible for doing things like feeding, clothing, bathing, etc. He does bedtime 2x per week but besides that, he's mostly just Mr. Fun.

I hope you can have a productive talk with your dh. The working part of his day is big, after all it allows you to be home. But you need the arrangement to be comfortable for everyone.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
Grace and Granola is offline  
#29 of 41 Old 06-03-2010, 02:33 AM
 
Marsupialmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 9,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukookoo View Post
to the family, not to himself

Sometimes i feel like dh literally works 8 hours a day and thats all while i work 24.


I just want to know what is rational to expect.

Dh takes out the garbage and takes care of his own laundry and sometimes will wash the dishes he uses, take care of his own car, like gets an oil change, if i ask or demand he will take mine in too, but never clean it or wash it or anything like that.

I do everything else pretty much, he thinks he is being superman if he plays with dd and i mean play as in friends because he takes no responsibility for actual parenting, making her do anything she doesnt want to etc.

ex: last night i went out to dinner with friends for the first time since dd was born. He took her out for a burrito and ice cream. They left at 630 (her bedtime is 7) didnt come home until right before i did at 9:00!

This morning it was 60 degrees in the house and he decided wearing a t shirt and thin pants was enough, once she started sneezing i took over but when i asked him to put one on her (which happens every morning, he gets up with her takes her potty, while i make breakfast and deal with our 3 dogs) he went and stared at the closet and told me if i want her to wear a sweater i need to make sure she has clean ones, there were plently, i pointed one out, i guess he already asked her permission to put that one on and she refused, he said good luck and walked away. I walked away too thsi time and said fine no sweater ims o tired of being the bad guy all the time.

Anyway that was a bit of a vent but i decided i am really done with this crap. if its 99% me and 1% him. i mean ok he works 8 hours a day but he would do that married with kids or not and i dont need his paycheck anyway its not enough to cover even half the bills which he knows nothing about

But i want to have a productive discussion where I say "i need you to take over responsibility for .....

what is your dp/edh responsible for?

the bottom line is tha ti feel like all responsibility is on me, sure he brings home some money but he puts it in my hands where i have to make it stretch alone.
I want to ask why paying with kids isn't consider being a responsible adult and taking caring of the kids? IMO, you might ease up and feel better if you play and be silly with your child also!

The dinner thing, so what? Each need to have fun occasionally. You are home all day and have more time to bond with your child. Working parent will do it differently. I would also say that it wouldn't hurt for you to let go and stay up and out until 9 having fun with your child It is good for your soul.

I don't understand this morning. Sneezing does not equal cold. It means there is something in the noise, dust? hair? et? allergies? It was 80 today and my son sneezed a lot does not mean he was cold. A sweater isn't always necessary. At two, in your home, if the child says no to a sweater let it go. They will have their own tolerances and will let you know when they are cold. This isn't like she was going out to play in the snow. She was in the house and can go get a sweater if she gets cold. I would have left one out and told her if she gets cold put it on or bring it to me to help her get it on. If she is sneezing ever morning it could be something else in the air that is causing it --my kids sneeze we first ask them to go blow their noise.

Now there are other responsibility that need to be divided more fairly. Make a list of things that need to be done and divide them. Don't complain how he does them. If you want them done a specific way then do it yourself. Accept your way is not always right -- like this morning. He didn't do it like you would so it was wrong and irresponsible. This is the wrong attitude and encourages less help not more.

I ruined my first marriage. My ex would no longer wash my clothes. Why? Because I always told him how he was doing it wrong! --later he did develop a legitimate reason his job dictated that he needed to wash his clothes separately, then run the wash empty. This all took to much time to wash ours.

Ask yourself if your own behaviors are actually discouraging help instead of encouraging it. Does you say thanks when he gets the oil change or just complain that he didn't clean it? Do you complain he doesn't load the washer right -- if nothing gets broken it doesn't matter. If he puts TP on do you complain he put it on the wrong way? Does he not change the diapers because you are over his shoulder complain he does it wrong?
Marsupialmom is offline  
#30 of 41 Old 06-03-2010, 02:35 AM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post
Yes. I really don't get this kind of attitude at all. I really can't believe all the responses to this that say he's a "typical dad" or "wow, he does a lot!"

My DH works full time at an office. I work full time at home. When we are both home, we split things so we both get breaks. He does bedtime and gets up with the baby in the morning because I nurse and take care of baby at night. I make dinner, he does the dishes.

And eventually one of us will get around to cleaning those bathrooms...
I think working outside the home, is infinitely more "work" than working at home is. There are a lot of things you don't "have" to do when you stay at home, versus the things that are required in the workplace. Getting dressed by a certain time, for example. Yes, being with kids all day is hard (I stay at home,a nd homeschool), but at least you get to be with people you love.
vbactivist is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off