Ever thinking of getting a part time job for some down time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 09-01-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I often think that I should get a part time job....just to get down time, and some adult interaction. Definitely not the hospital work I did before children...a low stress job. Not many hours....

But I am due in January so for now it will have to wait. Maybe next summer.
#2 of 32 Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Yes.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#3 of 32 Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 PM

All the time, LOL.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 32 Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 PM

Yes, and I did several years ago when I only had one dd! I worked part-time for a little over a year (before we moved and I got pg with dd2) but it was WONDERFUL! I'm so glad I was able to do it and, luckily, I've never felt the need for a job "break" from dd2 since she's so easy peasy.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#5 of 32 Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 PM

Yes! My oldest is in school, but the baby can be high maintenace at times....sometimes I just want to get away.
#6 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I've been thinking of doing some weekend volunteering once I've settled in with this little bean, due in December. Once my daughter entered toddlerhood-WOAAAHH. Of course I also got unexpectedly pregnant around the same time, but I think a day or two a week out of the house would do loads of good, and hubby could watch the children a couple hours so no need for childcare.
#7 of 32 Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 PM

All the time too!!!

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#8 of 32 Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 PM

I NEVER thought I would even consider a part-time job until recently but honestly, I got burnt out. My dh just opened his own business and he taught me how to do the accounting work. I now go for a few hours a week down to dh's office (five minutes from our house) and do paperwork. It's lovely.
In addition to working a few hours a week, I also take a weekly yoga class and try to go on a weekly date with dh. I know this sounds cliche, but I am a better mama now that I have some time away each week. I have even been getting more housework and cooking done when I am home because I feel so refreshed.

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#9 of 32 Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM

Instead of getting a job, I went to college! I take classes two nights a week for up to four hours a night. (We're scheduled to run until 9:30 but I'm usually home earlier.) I get to be out of the house, learning something I love, spending time with new people (many of whom are in the same boat), and increasing my earning potential for when I do go back to work. In fact, one of my instructors may end up being my future employer. It's the best decision I ever made.
~PurityLake~ likes this.

Married 6/16/01 ~ WOHM to DS1 4/29/06 and DS2 2/13/08 ~  ALMOST an RVT ~ dog2.gif dog2.gif goldfish.gif

#10 of 32 Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM

I am going to look for a part time job at a grocery store etc just for something to do, and a little extra money while DS is in school. Oh and I volunteer at his school as well!
#11 of 32 Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 PM

I have just decided not to take on a part time job, after considering it seriously for a few days. I was offered a job teaching a language course for adults. I am a teacher by profession, so it's not totally out of my field. It would have been a two hour class, and I could have taught on Saturdays, while DH watched the kids.

The problem is that I would have been facing an hour-long commute each way, along with a 13 dollar train ticket. Plus I would want to be there early for prep time. For only two hours of work (and pay), I felt five hours of our family time was too much to offer, so I declined. DH was even willing to take the kids for that time (despite also feeling that the gains were not worth the costs), but left the decision up to me.

Not sure if I made the right decision, but because of this, DH has suggested that he takes the kids for a couple of hours on Saturdays so I can have some personal time. I will also be looking into other job possibilities, perhaps tutoring.

So yes, I can absolutely understand how a part time job would seem like a break, and I could see myself going down that road.
#12 of 32 Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM

Yup! I call it my "me time". I work one day a week at a local bookstore. DH has that day off, so he watches the kids, bringing them in to nurse and snuggle a few times during the day. The owners are family friends who are totally cool with my kids being here and with me nursing while working, which really makes this arrangement work. Another friend of ours just opened a local artistian shop down the street from the bookstore and I will be working there one day a week for a few hours at a time. She is also fine with me bringing my DS with me to work. I swear, three quarters of my little Maine town has probably seen my boobs at this point since I BF while working!

It definitely has helped my sanity to get some adult interaction and time away from children crawling all over me.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#13 of 32 Old 10-03-2010, 01:37 PM

That's exactly what I did 1.5 years ago! I thought it would be good to get out of the house and do something that involved my brain a little bit lol. I work as a dr's receptionist on Saturdays and I love it. The day goes by so quickly (busy office) and I love being good at something other than my kids. Plus, hubby gets a day with the kids and they do fun stuff like go to McDonalds and the park. It's worked out very well for us.

I have 3 kids! : Lookit them go!!!
#14 of 32 Old 10-03-2010, 06:44 PM

I have one - I work in a day spa on Fri 10-5 and Saturdays from 9-3:30. It's nice to have that little break from the day-to-day, and some time for me to be me with other adults. It's nice to have responsibilities that don't include picking up toys, doing dishes, potty training, etc.

On the flip side I could do w/o the drama. When a group of women are together drama inevitably ensues and sometimes adds stress that I wish I didn't have to deal with.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#15 of 32 Old 10-04-2010, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All the time. Instead, I have decided to take classes. I am a software engineer by profession, so I am taking classes totally out of my field and getting certifications in the health/medical field. My DD is 3 months and I haven't started taking the classes... but that is my goal. Later, I hope to WFH writing software part-time or on contract. Or being involved in the health/medical field... I like options (i.e. being marketable)... even if I decide not to work.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#16 of 32 Old 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM

I took a job this time last year. Holiday retail and they kept me on. I love it. When DH and I agreed to have a 3rd child part of my list of non-negotiables was that I get to keep my job! It keeps me sane. It's just a couple of nights a week (or a weekend day).

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#17 of 32 Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 PM

I do. Actually, I have for about seven years now, since I was pregnant with DD1 and left my full-time job. I've taken long stretches of time off with the births of my babies and for a few other times when things at home got difficult, but never longer than four or five months at a time.

Right now I work 8 hours a week-- two four-hour evenings. It's great. I get some time to get out and be something other than "mom," doing work I love, and I get the tiny bit of extra $$$ for fun stuff. It's not much, but it's something. Plus, it's been really good for DH and the kids to have those two evenings together, just them-- it's made DH a more confident Daddy I think, and strengthened their relationship with him.

I was lucky to find work that I can do just for those few hours, and with supervisors that are so flexible with my other priorities.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#18 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Would love a part time job, 8-10 hours a week so hard to find that pays worthy. I come from corporate background and all those jobs are only available full time status. I know this sounds snobby but I just can't get myself to work for minimum wage and to do certain jobs. Now that I have been "out" for a long while, corporate background/education mean nothing, that's all I see out there.
#19 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Yep! My problem is I can never find a place I'd enjoy working at PT and if I did, usually the pay is so minimal that it really wouldn't justify driving around 30 minutes to get there. So I don't. Thankfully my husband has been really great and whenever I feel like I need some me time, he watches my son so I can go off without a complaint.

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

#20 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 12:42 PM

I definately do and would love even a little bit of extra income. But I'm due in Feb and DH's hour change weekly and include mostly nights and several 12-14 hr days. Its most likely not realisitc to get our hours to work out to where we wouldn't need childcare. And I highly doubt any job I could get would cover child care costs so that to me kind of nullifies the option. I'm not going to pay to go to work or put my whole check towards childcare!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#21 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
Ever thinking of getting a part time job for some down time?
All. the. time.
#22 of 32 Old 11-20-2010, 11:53 AM

yes!! our little one is almost 2 and in the past 5 or 6 months I have started teaching yoga again part time and am also working on some yoga therapy training. I've loved having some time. I will say that I am struggling with still finding time for ME. I thought working part time would be it. And it is a much needed break on the days I work, but I'm finding I still long for alone time.....when I leave to work, that's not alone time for me. As much as I love my daughter, and my work, I'm still finding a way to balance time for myself as well. 

#23 of 32 Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 AM

I have just started having these urges the last year or so. I thought I would never take on another job, but now I think I might. Something low pressure where I can get a employee discount.

It's just so darn loud around here! And with homeschooling they are here a lot! I am starting to really see the benefit of taking on a small job.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#24 of 32 Old 11-23-2010, 03:28 PM

I have a part time job. I work in liquor promotions. Basically I work either friday or saturday night, sometimes both for a 3-4 hour shift. I hand out free liquor samples..some of the jobs are more invo lved, like mixing drinks at a bar, but it's really fun and I get strictly adult interaction, and alone time in the car driving for at least 4 hours a week :) The only problem is that DH is super messy by nature, so by the time I get home, there's lots to clean up..but we're working on that one! Anyway, it's worth it. I am home with DS all day, sometimes from the crack of dawn until after bedtime because DH works long hours, so it's nice to get that little break!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#25 of 32 Old 11-25-2010, 03:54 AM

Since dd started school 5 years ago I've been working part-time (only 10 - 15 hours a week) at a public library.  I used to be a software programmer/analyst so this is very different than my 13 year career before getting married and having a baby.  I get to be around books all day, get paid to do something I enjoy... plus I'm home for dd when she's there.  Doesn't get much better than that.  It really does make a difference.

#26 of 32 Old 11-25-2010, 04:05 AM

Yes! But this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMom View Post

Would love a part time job, 8-10 hours a week so hard to find that pays worthy. I come from corporate background and all those jobs are only available full time status. I know this sounds snobby but I just can't get myself to work for minimum wage and to do certain jobs. Now that I have been "out" for a long while, corporate background/education mean nothing, that's all I see out there.

When I was working I was earning $50 - 60 Aus an hour and obviously I think my time is worth more to my kidlets than that so it's kinda hard to justify around $20 yk?

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#27 of 32 Old 11-25-2010, 06:34 AM

I make about $22-$33/hr, and it's really just for extra cash as a buffer when DH has a bad week(he's 100% commission) Sometimes it's truly extra, and sometimes it's absolutely needed. I worked full time from age 18 until having DS at 25, so it was all I knew. It's nice to get back into the work environment. I can justify $22-$33, but not much less than that. I left a job (actually lost my job, due to economy) only making $13/hr, but I was a jewelry production manager, and absolutely loved it. It was a ton of fun, but I worked 20 hours a week and was gone from the house closer to 35 with driving, dropping off the kiddo, and spending close to 250/mo in gas. It hardly seemed worth it looking back, but I really loved the job and knew I had the potential down the road to be apart of profit-sharing, and maybe even launch my own business, so I stuck with it. Once I got let go though, it was hard finding another job that justified the hours and little pay.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#28 of 32 Old 11-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah smiles View Post

Yes, and I did several years ago when I only had one dd! I worked part-time for a little over a year (before we moved and I got pg with dd2) but it was WONDERFUL! I'm so glad I was able to do it and, luckily, I've never felt the need for a job "break" from dd2 since she's so easy peasy.

Easy peasy? What's that like? Lol.lol.gif

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#29 of 32 Old 11-29-2010, 07:29 AM

Absolutely, and I am actively looking.  As many benefits as there are to being a sahm, there are total drawbacks.  The biggie for me is feeling like I'm not contributing to my family financially.  About 20 hrs a week would fit us nicely, even if after childcare I only cleared 200 a month.  I need to get out of here sometimes, and god knows it wouldn't hurt guy smiley to have a little away from mom time.

#30 of 32 Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 AM

I got a PT job (about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours a day) at my son's school as a recess monitor. It pays a little more then min wage! It gives me something to do outside the house and still leave us with a little extra cash!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page