Support Thread for Taking Care of Ourselves and STOMPING FRUMPY OUT! (A spin-off) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 169 Old 10-29-2010, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh good, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't wear jeans at home all day! I agree that yoga pants can look nice with the right shirt... I just don't think I have the right shirt...lol. Plus, I wind up in sweats a lot, since I only have one pair of yoga pants right now. I have a few pairs of leggings, and I like those too. I just need to plan better when I shop.
I do wear makeup every single day, but DH thinks it's funny that I don't shower until the late afternoon... by the time I get my makeup on, it's only a few hours before I'm washing it off to go to bed. I just need to find a way to get motivated in the morning, when DH is still here. If I could shower before he leaves for work, I could accomplish my hair/makeup in bits and pieces, while caring for the kids. I'm just soooo sleepy in the morning! lol... My 14 month old still nurses throughout the night, so I don't think I get much good, solid sleep. Not to mention... I stay up until 12-1am, just because I enjoy having time to myself, and that's about the only time I get it.

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

Hoping for a babygirl.gif in November!

#122 of 169 Old 10-29-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzaviers_mama View Post
Oh good, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't wear jeans at home all day! I agree that yoga pants can look nice with the right shirt... I just don't think I have the right shirt...lol. Plus, I wind up in sweats a lot, since I only have one pair of yoga pants right now. I have a few pairs of leggings, and I like those too. I just need to plan better when I shop.
I do wear makeup every single day, but DH thinks it's funny that I don't shower until the late afternoon... by the time I get my makeup on, it's only a few hours before I'm washing it off to go to bed. I just need to find a way to get motivated in the morning, when DH is still here. If I could shower before he leaves for work, I could accomplish my hair/makeup in bits and pieces, while caring for the kids. I'm just soooo sleepy in the morning! lol... My 14 month old still nurses throughout the night, so I don't think I get much good, solid sleep. Not to mention... I stay up until 12-1am, just because I enjoy having time to myself, and that's about the only time I get it.
I can be guilty of staying up late to get time to myself, even though I typically spend it cleaning. I do know, though, that I could have that time to myself (and actually use it on myself) if I got up in the morning before DS wakes for the day. It's a tough call, and it seems a lot harder to get up early and it's also hard to fight the urge stay up late. Ah struggles...

Jaxinator, thanks, I'm going to have to get a pair of to the ankle black leggings. They're fairly inexpensive, I think, and they are comfortable.

ETA: I also want to invest in another pair of yoga pants. I, too, only have one pair, and I've only recently found them.
#123 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 03:46 AM

I hate jeans. I never wear them. I can last about 10 minutes and then I am DONE!!. LOL. My dh loves me in skirts and dresses and I very much prefer them over anything else so yay. I've been living in yoga pants and workout pants lately though. Weighed in today. I've lost 15 1/2 lbs in the past 8 weeks. I feel so good. I have about 20 left to go for feel awesome and motivated at being healthier. Today was an awards ceremony at my younger 2 dc school and I did makeup and dressed nice to go. My son even complimented my outfit.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#124 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzaviers_mama View Post

Does anyone else think jeans are too uncomfortable to wear all day while staying home, taking care of babies??? lol... I always think I'll feel better about myself if I put on jeans and a shirt, but honestly, I just feel better in my yoga pants. Maybe I haven't found the right pair of jeans yet...
i do! i do! i love yoga pants. i wear jeans much less often than i do yoga pants.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#125 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 03:19 PM

I'm joining in! I love this thread!! I have read every post. I do feel frumpy often, although I must admit I do get dressed several times a week because we eat out so much. My DH doesn't care what I wear or if I do my hair or make-up, so I wear sweats and a t-shirt with no make-up and my hair in a mess most of the time.

Where do you find the yoga pants you all speak of? I'm sure you can get them everywhere since they seem so popular, but I've never owned a pair. Plus, what is the *right* type of shirt to wear with them?

Oh, I was just reminded...nothing makes me feel more frumpy than having bodily fluids all over me! Daily I am drenched in breastmilk, spit-up, drool, and sometimes even urine or poo from a leaky diaper! ACK! Even if I'm dressed and looking nice, this can ruin an outfit!

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
#126 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfarmom View Post
Oh, I was just reminded...nothing makes me feel more frumpy than having bodily fluids all over me! Daily I am drenched in breastmilk, spit-up, drool, and sometimes even urine or poo from a leaky diaper! ACK! Even if I'm dressed and looking nice, this can ruin an outfit!

LOL! I just felt something wet on the back of my shirt, and pulled it around to look. It was a big smear of something green. I yelled at DH "Is this a booger? Is there really a booger on my back? Who slimed me???"

Hahaha... only in the SAHM world, right?

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

#127 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay4 View Post
I hate jeans. I never wear them. I can last about 10 minutes and then I am DONE!!. LOL. My dh loves me in skirts and dresses and I very much prefer them over anything else so yay. I've been living in yoga pants and workout pants lately though. Weighed in today. I've lost 15 1/2 lbs in the past 8 weeks. I feel so good. I have about 20 left to go for feel awesome and motivated at being healthier. Today was an awards ceremony at my younger 2 dc school and I did makeup and dressed nice to go. My son even complimented my outfit.

Congrats mama! WTG on the weight loss! I was pretty happy with my weight after I had DS3 in Aug. 09, but shortly after that I started taking an antidepressant, and I gained a bunch of weight back. I really, really hate it, but tried to quit the meds, and that appears to not be an option right now.
There's a gym in my apartment complex, and I wish I could figure out how to make time to get there... but my day is so jam packed... no clue when I'd squeeze that in.

#128 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfarmom View Post

I've been waiting for almost a month for the makeup I orderd on Etsy & now it appears the shop owner has dissapeared & I have no makeup So now not only do I have to fight to get my money back I need to shop for new makeup Atleast I got my new glasses ordered...

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#129 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

I've been waiting for almost a month for the makeup I orderd on Etsy & now it appears the shop owner has dissapeared & I have no makeup So now not only do I have to fight to get my money back I need to shop for new makeup Atleast I got my new glasses ordered...
That's horrible and frustrating! I'm so sorry that happened.
#130 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 07:15 PM

Okay, really, I am totally serious here! I need this so much! If I don't post here again within a few days, someone PM me! I mean it. Really. This is not going well and I need someone to cheer me on!

I decided to stomp frumpy out a few weeks ago when I realized I do not have any winter clothes. I ordered a few cute long-sleeved shirts, a coat, and a skirt, since I had two pairs of pants that fit. I bought a pair of those cute flats everyone else is wearing. I bought two new bras. I got a haircut. DH joined the Y so we can go work out.

WELL the shirts are grand, and the coat hasn't gotten here yet, but the skirt doesn't fit right. The shoes are wonderful, but now I feel like I have to wear them every day because my other shoes (all 2 pairs of them) are yucky in comparison. The bras don't fit right either. I think I need a bigger size, which is ridiculous, because I'm already in a 36D (at 4'9"). Unfortunately I can't exchange them because DH cuts the tags off everything as soon as he brings it inside the door. I couldn't try them on at the store because DD1 was bouncing off the walls. Sigh.

The haircut would be wonderful, except I hate it. It's way too short and it feels wrong. It doesn't LOOK too bad, but it doesn't make me feel good about myself. I feel like a little boy. I can't wait for it to grow out, and I'm having trouble caring enough to fix it when I think it's awful.

The Y isn't working out like DH hoped. My SIL is working in the childcare room, but I'm watching my niece when she's at work. So I really can't go work out then (which would be the most convenient time) and dump all 3 kids in there with her. That just feels rude. I know one other woman working in there and I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the girls with her. The other two I've never met. But more than that, I have to stop at the desk and let them scan my card thingy ... I might as well post "OK going 2 the Y to work out cuz I'm FAT" all over Facebook or something. The whole exercise room is SO open and one whole wall is lined with mirrors. There are always people in there. Knowing that everyone in there can see me is bad enough, but I have to look at my reflection too!? Obviously I haven't worked out yet.

Whew. Yeah, I really do need someone to vent to. This is way too hard. Oh, and the two pairs of pants that fit, suddenly don't. Too bad I spent all my clothing money on the shirts.

The house looks better than usual. That (and the 3 shirts) are my successes so far.

Me , DH , Emmy (5/08), and new baby Tilda (1/10)
#131 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 09:04 PM

I am 2 weeks PP and have lost 20 of the 35 pounds I gained while pregnant... so I have 15 pounds to go to get to where I was pre-baby #3 and 10 more after that. I REALLY want to lose the weight and get in shape in the next 5.5 months, before DH comes home for RnR. He said I can get new clothes/bras/underwear when I am comfortable with my body again... he totally gets how much it bothers me even though he thinks I still look great. I really want to get some cute yoga pants and nice t shirts for around the house, comfy but cute! Any idea where a good place to get stuff like that is?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#132 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 PM

I need to start getting ready in the morning, getting dressed, makeup, etc before doing much of anything else. Until I get dressed and fix my hair, makeup, I feel uber lazy and unmotivated. Unless of course we have to be somewhere in the morning, but I feel like I should just do it every morning..make it a routine, because then maybe I'd get some laundry done before 5pm, and maybe have an idea of what's for dinner before 6pm I only have one kid though, so planning isn't super important right now, but I have another on the way, so I need to get my butt in gear!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#133 of 169 Old 10-30-2010, 11:58 PM

Well, I have to get up and get ready everyday for work, but that doesn't mean I don't feel like I could be looking better. My clothes don't fit me right...they are too big as I am a size smaller now than before pregnancy...and I don't have the money to update, or the desire bc I'd rather be a little meatier and fit into my old clothes, honestly. My hair is growing in frizzy, and my skin is sort of ashen. I did buy some new hair products this weekend which really really helped. I am just glad to see I am not the only one feeling less than ideal.

oh and I actually shaved my legs this weekend too...it's a three day weekend for me...thank goodness!

Loving my little family life with DH of 6 years and DD 12/22/09. Cloth diapering, exclusive nursing, whole food eating, summer loving public school teacher.
#134 of 169 Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What a great thread! I need this thread too... no time to write but subbing to participate and read.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#135 of 169 Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 AM

I am past the point of frump.

I really should join all of you...

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#136 of 169 Old 10-31-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
I really want to get some cute yoga pants and nice t shirts for around the house, comfy but cute! Any idea where a good place to get stuff like that is?
i buy all of my yoga pants at Old Navy but you can find them everywhere. a lot of people like Lululemon but i can't afford their yoga clothes.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#137 of 169 Old 10-31-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I bought my yoga pants at Target for $19.99.
#138 of 169 Old 10-31-2010, 01:09 PM

I will check out Old Navy and Target once I lose the baby weight

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#139 of 169 Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 PM

I know I"m late but can I join? I'm always frumpy, I hardly have any clothes that aren't sweatpants or oversized shirts, and I hate looking and feeling like crap. I don't have time or energy to look decent, but the rare times I do I feel awesome. So I'd love to look and feel good more often!

Do any of you 'frump' to avoid additional laundry? For me, I figure if I just wear my sweats and a tshirt every day I'm not adding to the mountains of clothes I do...any suggestions?

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#140 of 169 Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 AM

Oh goodness, if I tried to avoid laundry... it would be a bad situation trying to catch up. I have the world's smallest washing machine.

Here's some hope for mamas on a budget:
I went to a few of my many local charity shops and found:
-Really cute tan ankle boots.
-Assymetrical skirt
-pretty dress from Zara
-Light linen United Colors of Benetton skirt
-Gap wool sweater

Travel to thrift stores in nicer areas if possible. It's so true.

Maciascl- Please keep us updated on the make-up situation. I was going to see what you thought, then buy the same kind. She seemed to have good ratings, I'm sad for you.
#141 of 169 Old 11-01-2010, 06:42 PM

I was kind of sort of dressed today, decent looking sweatpants and a t-shirt, and then I got massively spit up on. I gave up. Now I'm back in my pjs. i feel so bad for DH having to look at pj-ed me all night (these are ugly and ratty, but so comfy), but I'm too lazy to change.

obstruct livery vehicles

#142 of 169 Old 11-04-2010, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Theoretica! I don't stay in my sweats to avoid doing more laundry. When I stay in them it because I try to focus on cleaning until much of the day has slipped by (and also because some days I'm plain old too lazy to change). My number 1 reason for wearing them, though, is that until I recently dug some things out that I'd packed away, I didn't have much that fit and looked good on me. I've been better since starting this thread, but I still have a ways to go.

Jaxinator, thanks for the tips! I'd love to find clothes l love so much at a thrift store. Good score! I'll be going thrift shopping in a couple weeks.
#143 of 169 Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Can I be a late joiner too? I've been following the thread, but I am usually nursing a sleeping toddler while I am on MDC so it's pretty hard to actually post anything. I am turning 30 in two months and I feel like I am stuck in this weird frumpy mom/high schooler look. I am often told I don't look old enough to be my kids' mother, but I don't think I look young in a good way, if you KWIM? I'm short and still battling bad skin so I think I look more like a kid who hasn't gotten it together than a frazzled mom. I dressed much better in college, when I would wear a skirt and put on make-up even after staying up all night finishing a paper just to make myself feel better. That hasn't really been happening since I became a mom.
I've spent my late 20s pregnant or trying to lose baby weight and I still need to lose about 10-15 lbs since my DD was born 22 months ago. I have clothes hanging in my closet that I really like, but I can't wear because I haven't lost all the weight and I'm not ready to give up completely and just buy more clothes in a size I don't want to be. Before I got pregnant with DD, I would go to the gym at 5:30am, get a run in and then have the energy to chase after toddler DS all day. I haven't been able to get that since DD was born, but I need to start exercising regularly again.
So, now that I have explained why I need help, here are my goals-- I will get up early and work out at least 3 days/week, put on make-up and blow-dry my hair before DH leaves for work, and eat more mindfully to help lose weight and enjoy my food-not just shovel it into my mouth because it's another chore to get through.
Hopefully posting all my plans on here will help keep me accountable. I am going to do an "on demand" workout now since this morning when my husband asked me if I wanted to get up to work out I decided my bed was too cozy.
#144 of 169 Old 11-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxinator View Post
Maciascl- Please keep us updated on the make-up situation. I was going to see what you thought, then buy the same kind. She seemed to have good ratings, I'm sad for you.
It FINALLY showed up yesterday. Not sure why it took 3 weeks to ship but whatever. I haven't tried it yet as I have sick kids again. We spent 3 weeks with the chicken pox sweeping threw the house now a week later DS1 has croup. I've been quite frumpy lately, not showering & not getting dressed. I am slightly depressed from not being able to leave the house & ready to be past it so we can start getting out again.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#145 of 169 Old 11-06-2010, 02:42 AM

It is soooo hard to dress okay and be a pregnant SAHM with a toddler. I do have a few dresses with various scarves I plan on wearing for holiday gatherings. There is no point to put on nicer preggo clothes if I am just running after a toddler all day. I am in clothing limbo here! The last pregnancy I had a bunch of working outfits since I taught high school and made it a POINT not to look frumpy while pregnant. Not so much this time, and I am not wearing those clothes around the house.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#146 of 169 Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 AM

This is a timely thread for me. I recently dropped about 15 lbs (35 in total but that was over the course of 3 years stopping and starting again!). I have started putting on make up most days and actually fixing my hair instead of just pulling it back. I donated most of my "frumpy" shirts so I wouldn't be tempted to wear them again, and then discovered that I hardly have any shirts to wear to the gym!

I need to get some new pants because mine are fitting pretty loosely now and look TERRIBLE in the butt. Of course I managed to loose more weight in my already bony butt than anywhere else! I didn't think there was any fat back there to lose. I hate buying pants because I'm not that tall but have long legs and a short torso so it's hard to find pants that really look good. I may end up having to go to the local western store which is usually the only place I can find nice fitting pants but they are $40+ a pair. *faint*

I also dyed my hair recently but it turned out darker than I wanted. It could use some high-lights or something but I don't want to screw them up at home and don't really have the budget for it.
#147 of 169 Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 AM

I have a question for you ladies... I have basically been pregnan for the last 3 years (we have a 2.5 year old, 17 month old and a 3 week old) and I got pregnant for the first time right after college. Hubby has given me the ok to use some of our tax return to TOTALLY redo my wardrobe since most of what I have either fits my post baby body horrible or is just, too college/not things I am comfortable wearing. The question is... what kind of things do I need? I know I need a couple pair of jeans, some cute NON t shirt tops, some nice yoga pants for around the house, cuts t shirts to go with said pants, some skirt or maybe dresses? I don't even know.. I want to look cute and put together but at the same time I have 3 little boys so it needs to be functional as well. Also, shoes? All I have is flip flops and running shoes...

#148 of 169 Old 11-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Chely: I wish I could help but I am definatly fashion challenged! May be just look at some stores on line & see what things catch your eye. Their quality has really taken a downturn, but I love to "window" shop Old Navy.

For the 1st time in probably a year I am showered, have my hair done, wearing clean clothes (just jeans & a T-shirt) AND have completely done my makeup. I even plucked my eyebrows! I got my new glasses yesterday too though they don't make me feel any less momish but I like them.

#149 of 169 Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Can I join in?

I worked for a year and a half and I've been SAH for a week and a half... and already I just look like I've completely morphed back into "psycho-PPD-mom-who-never-does-anything-with-herself". Because, well, I'm a "let's DO STUFF!" person and I've left the house all of 3 times in the past two weeks.

So... I did get a new haircut and color. I have 2 pairs of pants that fit and look decent. I don't wear makeup (never have). I just need to... straighten the hair. And brush my teeth. (I did manage to shower while MIL had the kids this morning for church, wooo).

I'd like to lose about 15+lbs because my last month of work was really stressful and I gained all that weight that I'd spent over a year losing. So, if I do, I'll have four pairs of pants that fit, woo hoo! I keep telling DH I want to go running at night once he gets home, or right when the kids fall asleep, but it's either 1am or he wants to "do other things" :

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#150 of 169 Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM

my solution to the frump monster was to dye my hair pink in the front and buy an eight dollar hippy eyeliner....

i really thought it'd inspire me to not be a bum.

i am totally still in sweatpants with no bra or shoes though.

i'm gunna go wash my face now....  maybe i should just start a punk band instead.

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page