Support Thread for Taking Care of Ourselves and STOMPING FRUMPY OUT! (A spin-off) - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 169 Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm getting a brand new hairstyle and color next wednesday!  I've had the bob for about 7 years and I'm sick of it!  Oh, I pickd out such a cute one too.  Lot's of layers, long bangs, multi process color.  So exited!  I'm also getting my nose pierced for my xmas present to myslef so I can wear the tiny diamond mom gave me from her dad's wedding ring.  Midlife crisis anyone LOL?

#152 of 169 Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post

I'm getting a brand new hairstyle and color next wednesday!  I've had the bob for about 7 years and I'm sick of it!  Oh, I pickd out such a cute one too.  Lot's of layers, long bangs, multi process color.  So exited!  I'm also getting my nose pierced for my xmas present to myslef so I can wear the tiny diamond mom gave me from her dad's wedding ring.  Midlife crisis anyone LOL?

No way is this a midlife crisis! That all sounds so exciting!

I got my hair cut & colored 2 weeks ago. I can only afford to go every 10 weeks, and for the most part that works well. This last time, though, was 14 weeks. Yikes!

#153 of 169 Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 AM

I'm frumpy, broke, and bored.  bah.  everything I want to eat (right now, usually, for breakfast, whatever)  is bad for me, and I have zero desire to 'walk it off'.  I try to get out and walk 5k at least 3-5 times a week, I WAS buying audio books and listening on my phone.  That worked, but I'm out of books, and broke. 

I actually planed an open house tonight to try to sell some Usborne books (which I JUST got my kit to sell), but no one can come. 50 people were invited, and I offered pizza bagels and salad and drinks for kids, plus donuts for dessert (in honor of Chanukah).  Only one mom and her kids was planning to come.  Plus dh is sick, and has been sick, so that was my excuse, but it sucks.  We missed my high school 25th 'cause he was sick.  We miss a lot of stuff.

And I HONESTLY have a wonderful life!  I have 2 great kids, my dh is amazing (when he's NOT sick, but he is sick frequently), we live in a decent house w/an affordable mortgage, and dh has a great State job.  So what the heck? 

I think I'm just BORED. Both kids are in school now, little one is in Kinder.  I hate cleaning, though I can tidy and declutter like a mad woman, I was writing for a while, but never finished anything and now I am disappointed w/myself about that, so better to give it a rest for a while.  I'm too ADD, distracted, disorganized to really write properly.  I don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  I think this might go beyond hair and make up (which I can't afford anyway), but that might help...a little.  Sheepish.gif

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#154 of 169 Old 12-06-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca View Post

I think this might go beyond hair and make up (which I can't afford anyway), but that might help...a little.  Sheepish.gif

I think this is hte case for me too, ADD and all redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post

I have always wanted my nose pierced. Dh doesn't like piercing so I've never done it. Tattoos on the other hand DH loves, too bad they are expensive and take lots of time to get.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#155 of 169 Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jumping in

Yesterday i dropped my 2nd grader at school still in pj's and slippers good thing it was drive up drop off line, came back home and stayed in pjs' til almost lunch time when i finally showered with the 4yr old and got dressed into a okay t-shirt and jeans. We recently moved and i managed to move two Rubbermaid  bins downstairs into the room we are using as overflow lol not very productive.

I think part of my no desire to do anything is also because of still grieving over the miscarriage i had at the start of last month. I know everyone grieves differently but it seems like dh moved on pretty fast greensad.gif.

My goals for today:

Take a shower when i get home from dropping the 2nd grader at school

Call up my friend and maybe take the kids my 4yr old and her 1yr old to a indoor play area

Go into the garage and try and find the nice green shower curtain that is in a bin somewhere in the garage.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#156 of 169 Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I bought some mineral makeup! It's so sparkly and pretty. I've been trying to look half decent, but I've actually gained weight since giving birth. So that is emotionally setting me back a lot. I usually lose a ton. I don't get it. I even bought some clothes to motivate me but the dress was out of stock, so I did not get it-it was a big motivator. Probably good at this point as I wouldn't be able to fit in it by New Years which was my goal. greensad.gif

Anyone have good tutorials on using mineral makeup or good long wavy hair hairdos?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#157 of 169 Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 AM

I've been willing my hair to outgrow this terrible hair cut. So far no luck.

But I did finally buy a coat and some clothes that fit properly. Next up, shoes that are not sneakers.

If anyone happens to know of makeup that is free of soy corn and nuts, let me know. I'd be on board with some lip gloss and whatnot every now and then.

#158 of 169 Old 12-11-2010, 12:13 PM

Where did you buy your make up from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

I bought some mineral makeup! It's so sparkly and pretty. I've been trying to look half decent, but I've actually gained weight since giving birth. So that is emotionally setting me back a lot. I usually lose a ton. I don't get it. I even bought some clothes to motivate me but the dress was out of stock, so I did not get it-it was a big motivator. Probably good at this point as I wouldn't be able to fit in it by New Years which was my goal. greensad.gif

Anyone have good tutorials on using mineral makeup or good long wavy hair hairdos?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#159 of 169 Old 12-11-2010, 02:22 PM

I bought it from here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/orglamix

So far it's really great. Still trying to figure out how to use the foundation & such, but the eyeshadow is easy.

I got my hair cut and layered and then I dyed it. Dh said I should do red of all my choices as I have done it before and it was easy from a box. It looks HORRIBLE. It's been over 8 years since I have dyed it and it makes me look really washed out and just...not good. So how long should I wait before dyeing it differently? I'm thinking of going blonde, actually, as it's not something I've done forever and I want a big change. I hope this dye fades quickly. It looks...reddish purple. Not what I was going for.

How do you all handle trying to look decent and having disparaging comments made to you? My dh told me (I did not prompt this) that if he compared me to others-looks wise- I would do "reasonably well". Thanks, dude. I don't think I'm a looker, but by jove, you're my husband at least pretend I look good? I'm probably reading too much into that but he knows my self-esteem is rock bottom right now.

#160 of 169 Old 12-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Awesome!  I think I will order some when we get paid :)  How was the shipping and everything?

Quote:

I bought it from here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/orglamix

So far it's really great. Still trying to figure out how to use the foundation & such, but the eyeshadow is easy.

I got my hair cut and layered and then I dyed it. Dh said I should do red of all my choices as I have done it before and it was easy from a box. It looks HORRIBLE. It's been over 8 years since I have dyed it and it makes me look really washed out and just...not good. So how long should I wait before dyeing it differently? I'm thinking of going blonde, actually, as it's not something I've done forever and I want a big change. I hope this dye fades quickly. It looks...reddish purple. Not what I was going for.

How do you all handle trying to look decent and having disparaging comments made to you? My dh told me (I did not prompt this) that if he compared me to others-looks wise- I would do "reasonably well". Thanks, dude. I don't think I'm a looker, but by jove, you're my husband at least pretend I look good? I'm probably reading too much into that but he knows my self-esteem is rock bottom right now.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#161 of 169 Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 PM

hey! can't believe I havent seen this thread before! I feel soooooooo gross lately. we are a one car family now and DD and i are so isolated where we just moved. my idea of getting dressed is sweatpants and a baggy tee.........im 23 y/o!!!! jaw.gif what is wrong with me?!? DD is 15 m/o and of course not SSTN and im so tired all the time.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#162 of 169 Old 12-11-2010, 08:17 PM

It was pretty inexpensive, imo. They have a mom kit that is cheaper than buying the things individually. I really like the frosting on taupe and goji shadows so far. The others I got are good, but too colorful for everyday.

#163 of 169 Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 PM

Yeah, it looks really good!!  I really like bright colors so I con't think that will be too much of an issue :)

Quote:

It was pretty inexpensive, imo. They have a mom kit that is cheaper than buying the things individually. I really like the frosting on taupe and goji shadows so far. The others I got are good, but too colorful for everyday.

#164 of 169 Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:

That is rough. I am sorry! I think you need to let him know that your feelings were hurt by his comment. He may have meant it in a complamentary way but he needs to know that that is not how it was recieved. hug2.gif

I have a beautiful deep brown sweater coat that I have had for YEARS but haven't worn for a very long time. It just feels too fancy/dressy for me, but I think I am going to force myself to wear it some this winter. The hard part is that it is hard to wear something like that with a baby attached to you all the time.  

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#165 of 169 Old 12-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

I have a beautiful deep brown sweater coat that I have had for YEARS but haven't worn for a very long time. It just feels too fancy/dressy for me, but I think I am going to force myself to wear it some this winter. The hard part is that it is hard to wear something like that with a baby attached to you all the time.  

I just realized that it is a rather heavy sweater that has been hanging in the closet all this time so the shoulders are terrible stretched out. duh.gif I am going to wash it & hope it snaps back, but I am not counting on it.

#166 of 169 Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Any other mommas who typically do not leave the house at all some days and never see anyone else besides their toddler and SO? 

I feel like most other moms have more of a social life/outside the house life and have a good reason to get dressed, whether it be to pick up the kids or shop or whatever and i have no reason at all to get dressed. :( 

If I did have a car, i'd be getting dressed more often and taking care of myself but since having kids, I just don't bother. my 3 year old doesn't care that mommy isn't dressed and neither does my husband. So i typically wear PJs all day, only changing to shower at night into another pair of PJs. 

*sigh* 

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#167 of 169 Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM

So,

I just found this for the first time today.

So happy I did. 

I am a first time Mama. DD is now 5 mths old. 

I had, for what feels like the 10th time, another breakdown last night about how gross I feel about myself. I don't think I was mentally prepared for how my body would appear postpartum. 

I also fit *awkwardly* into all of my old clothes. It is not that they don't fit, because some are even gaping in places they didn't before, it is just that my body has changed so much.

I am also a new stay at home mom. Before DD was born I was a preschool teacher, so you can just imagine what my wardrobe has been like forever! Blah!

I want to look good and feel good, but I am just all frump every day. We are on a tight budget since we are now on one income in the Bay Area.

Where should I start? Clothes, shoes that fit, new hair?? How do you find clothes that work well with nursing and are not nursing tops. They are too expensive. 

Anyways, good luck to all of you mamas, and I am impressed with those that manage to get up and shower before their kiddos awake. If only sleep wasn't so important right now!

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#168 of 169 Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 AM

BettinaAuSucre-I don't leave the house almost ever. Nowhere to go around here but the grocery store. So I don't have any external motivation to get dressed.

Jamie- hug2.gif It will get better as baby gets older! I also feel gross about myself. Wish I could help you there. I have terrible self-esteem, though. I would start with clothes and a hair style. I almost never buy nursing clothes-Majamas tops (can be found on diapers.com on sale often AND they have coupon codes out there. I got my last for a really good price) I have found to be AWESOME. They hold in my gut, but not too tight, they boost my bust so it looks nicer, is super easy to nurse in, and looks fantastic. I would splurge on one or two of these and a couple inexpensive knit sweaters for cooler weather and then some regular shirts-stretchy shirts like Old Navy's long sleeve v-necks or button up shirts work really well for nursing. I find "real" nursing shirts to just look weird and be strange to nurse in, honestly. I have found wearing a pair of earrings or nice necklace really helps me feel better about myself and makes me look "made up" with zero effort, too.

#169 of 169 Old 12-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:

BettinaAuSucre-I don't leave the house almost ever. Nowhere to go around here but the grocery store. So I don't have any external motivation to get dressed.

Same here! We have no car and w/ toddler in stroller and baby in ergo, it just seems such a pain to go anywhere, except the grocery store which is a 10 minute walk away. I get so bored of the same old street I walk down too.

Somehow, I do manage to get dressed every day, even if I don't until noon or worse, then put the pj's back on in the evening. That and a shower helps me feel like I can start my day and be productive. Here in France everyone dresses nice all the time, even at the grocery store so even if I just do that, I feel the need to pay a little attention to what I wear. Though lately, w/ a newborn I just throw on a hat and don't bother even brushing my hair.

Suddenlyamama, I think a new haircut is a perfect place to start! I got one about 2mo after DS was born and it was such a mood lifter!

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page