Mothering Forum banner

Support Thread for Taking Care of Ourselves and STOMPING FRUMPY OUT! (A spin-off)

9K views 168 replies 61 participants last post by  autumnfairy76 
#1 ·
As I was commenting on another thread regarding feeling frumpy, I realized that a lot of women actually feel this way, and that this is an area where we can use some encouragement to do things that are good for us. This may mean building a small but workable wardrobe of clothes that actually fit and look good on us. It may mean getting ready first thing in the morning and getting dressed in clothes that make us feel confident. It may mean committing to exercise or occasionally getting (or doing your own) manicure or pedicure, tweezing your brows, etc., but what makes YOU feel confident and on top of the world. Ladies, we each deserve to feel great about ourselves! Let's stomp frumpy out!!!

I like these support threads for their accountability. Let's hold ourselves accountable and cheer each other on!

See less See more
#2 ·
Woo Hoo! I don't think I've ever inspired a spin-off thread before.

I am very guilty of the not getting dressed until late afternoon
I guess I should work on that too. Exercise too! It is hard to find the time with a less than 2 month old, but I know it will make me feel better.

#4 ·
Oh, I need to jump in here. I bought a couple new pair of jeans last month that fit me really well- and that's been a HUGE help. I'm thinking that a manicure will be in order soon, and highlighting my own hair soonish.
I can't afford to do a lot, but I can't afford not to at least invest some time and energy into taking care of myself.

#5 ·
I found someone on Etsy that sells mineral makeup that had great prices on samples. Yay! Foundation and 5 eyeshadows for $18.50 shipped
I never use all of it before it is too old to use anyway.

#6 ·

I need this thread. I'm embarrassed to admit that sometimes I take DD to school (3 blocks away) in my pj's- no bra or shoes even occasionally!

I see other SAHMs all put together at 8am and I am so jealous. Really, they just spring from bed, jump in the shower, and take care of themselves? I hardly have time/energy enough to wash my face!

So I'm going to be working on this. Small steps, right? ...tomorrow I will wear a bra and shoes.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post

I need this thread. I'm embarrassed to admit that sometimes I take DD to school (3 blocks away) in my pj's- no bra or shoes even occasionally!

I see other SAHMs all put together at 8am and I am so jealous. Really, they just spring from bed, jump in the shower, and take care of themselves? I hardly have time/energy enough to wash my face!

So I'm going to be working on this. Small steps, right? ...tomorrow I will wear a bra and shoes.

By 8 am, I have been up for 3-4 hours. I may be dressed, but I'm not usually happy about it. :p

#8 ·
Joining!

It was my goal a few months ago to wear earrings everyday. I've been slacking on that the past few weeks.

Adding these goals-
- if a dc gets my clothes dirty, I should try to change them
- look in the mirror before leaving the house to make sure I don't have paint on my face (why couldn't the bank teller or someone at the library clue me in!?)
-was my face at night

#9 ·
ShwarmaQueen;15911259I see other SAHMs all put together at 8am and I am so jealous. Really said:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/lol.gif[/IMG]
I get up two hours before we have to leave for school just so I can get myself together.

Sorry, that sounds really smarmy! I don't mean it to be! I just mean that I actually try and make a big effort to get myself sorted in the morning, as well as the kids.

#11 ·
I need to make a better effort to shower every day (I only get like two a week right now, gross I know), and wash my face. I have gotten infinitely better about braiding or putting my hair up, because, well - it's down to my waist and little grabby hands need to stay away. Lol.

Right now I'm in yoga pants and a tshirt, but I don't do that much these days - once a week or so. I need to find room in the budget to get a few fall/winter shirts - I have about two that aren't just giant sweaters. I would also like to get my eye prescription checked out and some contacts - I haven't done it since before I was pregnant, so it's probably about time.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CalaRei View Post
I need to make a better effort to shower every day (I only get like two a week right now, gross I know), and wash my face.
Hahaha! So glad to know I am not alone!!

#13 ·
wow, good timing. I've been feeling pretty down and depressed lately. My clothes are all fitting weird and my skin looks like hell. I'm planning on booking a facial and maybe a pedicure. My wardrobe will have to wait a bit (it doesn't look frumpy, just not behaving as they would pre-pregnancy) but I am trying to find a few choice sweaters/blouses.

#14 ·
I totally need this thread! Great idea.

I need to take some time to get myself ready in the morning, instead of just throwing something on after showering, and then running a brush through my hair two minutes before we step out the door.

A lot of new clothes aren't in our budget right now, but I could get much better at accessorizing a bit and actually planning what I will wear the next day. Often, I just throw on a pair of jeans and a shirt and don't even bother to put on a belt, for example.

Also, I need to work on my weight. I do a pretty good job of getting enough exercise, since I walk a lot, but I seriously need to cut back on the sweets.

A haircut is another necessity...I think I'll shoot for getting one next weekend. Re. makeup, I have a problem. I used to wear makeup pre-kids, but DH is not a big fan of makeup. Though I would guess if I just put on a little bit of mascara and a little bit of powder, he won't know the difference.

Thanks for a great thead.

#15 ·
Wow! Welcome everyone!

The big thing I want to do for myself today is to go through all of my clothes in my dresser and closet and to donate the clothes that don't fit properly. I plan to organize everything, so that I can easily make cute outfits of what is left (probably not a lot, but it's better to have a few items I feel great in than a closet of clothes that I don't wear or feel confident in). I'm unsure if I'll get to my shoes, but I'll feel great about decluttering my clothes! (Then I'll know what I'm working with when it comes to slowly building a wardrobe.)

maciascl, congrats on the makeup!

Learning_Mum, I love your initiative!

confustication, I would LOVE to have new jeans that fit!

Joyster, good luck! A facial sounds like fun. I might have to do the home variety soon.

Harmony08, let's hear it for the new bra!

ShwarmaQueen, "Small steps, right? ...tomorrow I will wear a bra and shoes." That is so funny! It's great to have a sense of humor. :)

DeerMother, good goals! Baby steps to taking care of ourselves.

CalaRei, you can do it! Just look at it as one day at a time.

Okay Ladies, let's go out and show the world that WE are stronger than frumpy!

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I found someone on Etsy that sells mineral makeup that had great prices on samples. Yay! Foundation and 5 eyeshadows for $18.50 shipped
I never use all of it before it is too old to use anyway.
Spam me!

I am very pregnant, but I did buy a new diaper bag/purse, wallet, mascara, and blush. I need to go look at lip glosses in person so I don't feel like a clown. I can't do much about the maternity clothes situation or what I'll wear afterwards as my weight shifts around so much the first two months pp, but I do have a couple pairs of nice jammies. No cartoon characters on them or anything!

I need to get a haircut and a new pair of glasses when I find my prescription, too.

#19 ·
I get properly ready at least on preschool days (M and W) I started going with DD a couple of weeks ago. Luckily(?) DD got super into makeup & sitting on my lap to try lip gloss and whatnot. So even if it's not a school morning, DD asks me about makeup and then I feel motivated to at least put on my tinted moisturizer & lip gloss! I might not have showered that morning, though, ha!

Also bought a couple of cute maternity tops and that made me feel great! I should've done more of that when I was preg with DD I realize.

#21 ·
I've been experiencing a lot of perinatal depression, and additionally felt the frumpiness and blahs with running after a toddler and finding very little time for myself. Now I have a routine of taking a shower most days after feeding dd breakfast and putting on a show for her. On the off days she DOES take a nap I'll often take a soak in the tub instead of running around cleaning.

I just bought some new clothes. I was so tired of my used or cheaper items getting pilly in no time and always feeling unkempt. So I used the outlet section of my favorite "upper end" store and now I'm finding myself getting dressed every morning. It's also motivated me to really try to build a basic wardrobe, including accessories and shoes. I'm not anywhere near there yet, but just working on it, purging what doesn't work, and making that effort makes me feel better about myself.

My sister is a hair stylist and I'm finding the time to get in and get my hair done and get my eyebrows waxed. I have no nails so manicures are out and I just paint my toenails as desired, I've never cared for pedicures.

I don't wear makeup very often at all, and I'm comfortable with that. I do want to splurge on some nice skin cream though and I've been more conscious of putting on some nice perfume, etc.

#22 ·
I just got a new haircut last week. Prior to this I always had a ponytail. Now I can actually leave my hair down.
This week I got a new pair of shoes.

I'm still contemplating my wardrobe though. Have to get some shirts that aren't T-shirts...

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post

#24 ·
I so need this thread! I used to be a fairly put together person, but having DD has made me frumpier than I'd like to be.

I have been guilty of the 8.00 am school drop off in my PJ's/yoga pants way too many times.
My main morning issues is that I am super tired and just don't feel like making any efforts besides drinking some coffee.

But today I am dressed already, and when DD and get back from dropping off DS, I am going to put on a show for her, and do my 30 day shred video in my bedroom (I will be able to see her) and then shower and get dressed and put make-up on.

I did recently get a pedicure and I got my hair cut and high-lighted for the first time in way too long, and I look and feel 1000 times better just from that.
I just need to remember that I am worth some pampering and taking care of my appearance.

Hope everyone has a fabulous, non-frumpy day!

#25 ·
Oh, oh, I need to be here.

I'm newly post-partum too so I'm feeling REALLY crappy about my appearance.

It's actually perfect timing for this thread because today was when I was going to start planning on looking not like crud all the time.

I got up before either of the babies and took a shower (YAY! Not getting too many of those here recently with a toddler and a newborn). And I am going to eat better (for baby-weight loss and for it makes my skin look better). And I am going to exercise. I actually did like 25 minutes of an exercise DVD this morning before the newborn woke up wanting to nurse (nak now, haha).

My birthday is Nov 1st... I'll be 2 months out from childbirth at that point. I'm going to do some concentrated exercise every morning for the next four weeks, and see how my body is at that point. Then I'm going clothes shopping for my birthday and buy some clothes that actually FIT ME. I'm ready to pack up the maternity clothes forever (this is our last baby), bid farewell to the pants that my had-two-kids hip bones will no longer allow, and find some clothes that compliment my body. I've been walking around in sweatpants and my husband's XL T-shirts.

I don't do make-up, but today I am at least showered, wearing a bra (and a maternity tank top, sigh), my hair doesn't look like a rat's nest, and my face is clean.

So that'll do for today.

#26 ·
Kelly1101, I had such a hard time with my postpartum body. The key for me was buying a few clothing items that fit, looked nice and that I felt good in. Some folks actually recommended that I not spend the money on clothes I (hopefully) wouldn't be wearing very long. But my self-esteem was so low at that point. I hated wearing maternity clothes, and honestly, I didn't even have many of those. A few well-fitting items in your current size is, in my opinion, a must. It made a world of difference to me.

Good luck on your goals and congrats on being showered so early in the day, especially with a newborn!

Congrats on taking care of yourself, jellybeanandkids! You deserve it.

Welcome to the thread Ellp, happyhats and MamaPhD!

It's great to have such a range of mamas here including pregnant and newly post-partum. This will remind us to always take care of ourselves in every stage.

I didn't finish my project for yesterday, but I made some good headway and will work on it more today.
I'm still not showered, though, as DS woke up the exact same time as me and has required my attention all morning, but I will shower during his very first nap. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.