what do you do all day? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am starting to get a bit bored. maybe it's from doing this for years now. i have been a mom for over 16 years. i haven't always been a SAHM, but when i have worked it was very part time (like one 12 hour shift a week, usually at nite at the hospital. i am an RN).
this is what a "normal" day might look like
we homeschool 4 of the 5 kids, but we don't do really school at home, so maybe on any given day the boys might do about 1 hour of "book work" a day, the rest of the time they sort of find something they want to learn and go at it.
i do all the grocery shopping (unless it is something like dh picking up a gallon of milk on the way home). i cook 28 out of any 30 days, and 90% of that is stuff from scratch (although not all meals are fancy i do love cooking so i can take up to an hour or more making dinner). our house is tidy. i do most of all the house work. clean the bathrooms a couple times a week, floors (sweeping) daily, vacuuming 2-3 times a week. laundry is daily. i read, knit, play with the kids. we go to the park at least weekly, sometimes 2-3 times depending on if friends are going. we go to the library weekly. i have a garden.
but honestly, i have HOURS everyday with not much to do. i mean i even make breakfast (like eggs and toast, pancakes, omelets, etc) and make lunch. i do the dishes and god... everything.
my kids are 16 (she goes to high school) ds#1 12, ds#2 9, ds#3 6, ds#4 3 and i am pregnant with #6 due in jan.
dh is helpful, we get along good 90% of the time. he works from 7am to about 5pm 5 days a week. we do stuff together as a family on the weekends.
i don't know. i have been toying with the idea of going back to school for something... but with a new baby coming that might make it difficult. i have been thinking i might go back to work once a week, but like i said it is at night and once a week.
i am not unhappy or depressed or mad or anything. i feel good mentally and physically i am just sorta bored.
h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#2 of 22 Old 10-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Oh, wow, do I feel like such a slacker now. I only have four kids and no garden. I do most of the housework, but the house is a mess, it feels like we are only here long enough to mess it up and then head back out. I cook a couple hours a day and drive kids to activities a couple hours a day, and then there's the waiting while they're actually in the activities. I do at least two, usually three, loads of laundry a day, homeschool, and try to at least hit the basics of a clean(ish) kitchen and bathrooms. That all takes about 14 hours a day. Weekends are spent grocery shopping, cooking, catching up on basic cleaning, not even deep cleaning, like vacuuming/dusting/shoveling out the playroom.

All that to say, I am bored, too, but it's not because I have nothing to fill my time!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#3 of 22 Old 10-22-2010, 08:25 PM

im without a car while dh is at work... so we go for lots of walks, we paint a LOT (i am a painter so I paint at the same time), i knit and crochet, and read.

most of the time I do what I do in the same room as the kids while they are doing whatever.

like right now, I jumped online to check my email and here... ds is playing at my feet, dd2 is playing in the dollhouse and dd1 is involved in some sort of beautician/salon play.

my kids are younger than yours... but we have a waldorf influenced rhythm we sort of flow with and it keeps us from getting bored...

except today... i did an extended circle time with 5 different fairy tales and im counting the minutes until dh gets home (30 more to go)!

i guess ill go start dinner!

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#4 of 22 Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

tallulahma: my kids aren't bored at all. it is me! lol they are always doing something. i have been toying with going back to school to study something i am truly interested in. but honestly it is a ways off with a new baby coming along in a few months.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#5 of 22 Old 10-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know this is not the intent of your post, but your post gives me hope that I can homeschool, spend time with my children, keep a manageable home and find a little time for myself (to both write and learn new hobbies) in the process.

Maybe you could learn a new hobby if schooling is a few years off for you? Or do a little researching/studying of subjects that interest you at home on your own. I'm thinking of a homeschooling approach but for yourself instead of the kids. :-) Maybe you and your husband might take a class together (a cooking class, ballroom dancing, attend a contra dance, book group, etc., but something you attend/share together. (I'm not assuming that your marriage is lacking in this department, but sometimes it can be easy to focus so much on the children that you forget to do things as a couple. Also, activities done with your husband can help to stimulate you mentally/physically and break the boredom rut.) Just some thoughts. You're honestly my hero, though!

ETA: Maybe you could also take a class. I know a lot of high schools have evening classes of all sorts for adults. You can find anything from sewing and knitting to learning to play various instruments and cooking food from different ethnicities, learning new languages, yoga, and too many etceteras. It would just be 1 class instead of a whole program. Some classes (like the cooking ones) only meet 1-3 times. Others go for an entire semester.
#6 of 22 Old 10-24-2010, 02:41 AM

sounds like you need a craft. quilting, knitting, sewing, weaving, needle felting... something fun and creative for YOUR

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#7 of 22 Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 AM

My 4 dc are in ps and I am a sahm. I basically clean during the day. Run errands, shop, catch up on DVRed tv shows, exercise, browse online, do meal prep, read, etc. We moved to CO and into our house in May and I just got my sewing room set up so hoping to start doing lots of sewing.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#8 of 22 Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 AM

Volunteer! I just recently quit my part time job and have been doing more volunteer work. Is there anything you are interested in locally? I have gotten involved with dd2's school, a "kindness" committee at my synagogue (we drive seniors who can no longer drive to dr.'s appointments, errands, etc.), and a breastfeeding support group.

In my area, there are even committees for town events (like holiday events, speakers, cultural events, etc.) that are always looking for volunteers.

Miriam
Mom to two daughters born in 1997 and 2000
#9 of 22 Old 10-24-2010, 01:40 PM

LilM, I was so hoping to do school volunteering once we moved here (to CO) I signed up for literally everything at my kids schools and nothin!!! I need to look into other opportunities, thanks for posting!

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#10 of 22 Old 10-24-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

i do have hobbies! lol i knit, garden and read. along with cooking and baking.

my only issue with volunteering is that i am home with 4 of our 5 kids all day. dd who is in school is in high school and all they want is money from the parents no home room parent sort of thing. we do a few things with in our homeschool group when it comes up, like we are helping with a group that feeds the hungry and are making chili for 40 people. but it has to be something that i can do with 12, 9, 6 and a 3 year old... and a new baby in jan. lol

h

#11 of 22 Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 PM

Sewing is great for something easy to do and fun. I do it with my two (ages 3 1/2 and almost 2). I tend to be going non-stop all day long so Im not much help. I wake, help DH get ready for work, do some clean up, make breakfest, clean up again, take the kids to the park, do the daily housework/laundry, make lunch, lay the youngest down for a nap, play/do "school" stuff with the oldest, play with both girls, do some sewing, play some more/read to the girls, make dinner, DH gets home and its family time. I usually have very little time to stop.. but my kids are younger and need attention to keep out of trouble.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#12 of 22 Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 AM

What do I do? Get up, spend time with husband and family, chores, eat lunch, say goodbye to husband, homeschool kids, dinner, chores, bedtime, work til 2 am, then do it all over again. I am never bored, but usually sleep-deprived!
#13 of 22 Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Since you want to take classes, but are worried about the time, have you seen wikiuniversity? I only just heard about it & haven't had much chance to check it out, but my understanding is that it's self led. I doubt you get real credits or anything, but if you're just looking to learn for the sake of it, it might be work for you.
Otherwise, I second the volunteering idea. I know my local library is always looking for volunteers, and once DH is done with his school (only another couple months!) I am considering doing that. I'm sure that elder care places and small museums are always looking for help, too.
Posted via Mobile Device
ETA: OK, nm about the volunteering - that part is for the other poster who said she wanted to find somewhere to volunteer!
#14 of 22 Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I only have one kid but I don't tend to get bored. I like the few minutes of down time I get. I tend to keep myself relatively busy with the housework/errands/meal planning/cooking etc. and taking care of my baby. I also lead a Girl Scout troop and try to get to the gym a few days a week. I take my daughter to playgroup and to story time at the library each week.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#15 of 22 Old 10-26-2010, 12:40 PM

it sounds like maybe you do need to go back to school, maybe work again or find an job to do at home. you obviously have the workings of your household down pat, but your brain isn't being stretched to its full potential. is there a job you dream of having down the road when your smaller kids aren't so small any more? now would probably be the time to start taking distance education courses to eventually reach that goal. you can do maybe one or two classes at a time through a university or college. you're already an RN, maybe you want to work towards your masters or a specialty? maybe there's a more part-time job you could take in the evenings or weekends (like at a clinic or community centre)?

i find i am mentally bored, but i still have loads of things to do at home... i'm pretty new to parenting and to SAHMing, so i don't have a very good schedule down yet. but i think i will need something else to occupy my brain when i finally get this dishes/laundry/changing diapers/nursing/tidying thing down.
#16 of 22 Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
i do have hobbies! lol i knit, garden and read. along with cooking and baking.

h
youre still bored?!

i wish i could catch up! i have a pile of books to read, mounds of knitting and a bunch of baking.... plus halloween costumes to make... and a painting for our bedroom.... ugh... i feel llike i have too many hobbies.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#17 of 22 Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM

I found myself in the same position as you recently. Now, I realize my solution may not work for everyone, but here goes...

Going back to school is not really a viable option for me at this time. However, I made an appointment at the local university with the department head of my area of interest (botany). He was so cool! With the assistance of two of the professors, we came up with independent study courses specifically designed for me. Like I said, may not be an option for everyone, but just trying to throw the idea out there on the chance it might help.

And, I will say, when I made the appointment with the department head, it never even crossed my mind that we could work this out...I went in there thinking maybe he would be able to refer me to local resources, and things just blossomed from there.

Aside from that, I was much like you...I mean, I have things pretty well under control with the house, kids, garden, hobbies, etc. (I mean, I've even already got Christmas gifts made for everyone we're giving to...) I found myself bored way too often for my liking. Studying something that interests me REALLY helps that!
#18 of 22 Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Today I have nursed, changed diapers, nursed, cleaned one corner of the bedroom, nursed, changed diapers, started one load of laundry, oh and I managed to convince DD to be quiet by nursing her while I was in the bathroom so that I could go to the bathroom.

All you homeschooling, errand running, hobby-having SAHMs have my admiration. I can't even remember to eat lol. Speaking of which....

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#19 of 22 Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

krazy: i have been toying with the idea of doing some sort of on-line thing for awhile now. maybe i just need to do it and stop thinking about it.
as for the hobbies... i try and keep my stuff manageable like i am making a hat for the new baby right now and i plan on knitting a blanket too. but i don't have a monsterous list because then it becomes overwhelming and i just don't do anything then. i did this last winter and knitted 14 hats, made 7 scarfs and a few pairs of fingerless gloves. but it was one thing at a time. i do the same for reading, just one book, read it and move on. if i have stack of them it is just too much. lol

i have been pondering my boredom the last few days... i think i read in mothering once about kids and boredom and how it is good for them. and i have been thinking that maybe it is good for me too. giving me time to really spend on certain things and giving me time to think. maybe com eup with some sort of great creative idea.

h

#20 of 22 Old 10-27-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
i am starting to get a bit bored. maybe it's from doing this for years now. i have been a mom for over 16 years. i haven't always been a SAHM, but when i have worked it was very part time (like one 12 hour shift a week, usually at nite at the hospital. i am an RN).
this is what a "normal" day might look like
we homeschool 4 of the 5 kids, but we don't do really school at home, so maybe on any given day the boys might do about 1 hour of "book work" a day, the rest of the time they sort of find something they want to learn and go at it.
i do all the grocery shopping (unless it is something like dh picking up a gallon of milk on the way home). i cook 28 out of any 30 days, and 90% of that is stuff from scratch (although not all meals are fancy i do love cooking so i can take up to an hour or more making dinner). our house is tidy. i do most of all the house work. clean the bathrooms a couple times a week, floors (sweeping) daily, vacuuming 2-3 times a week. laundry is daily. i read, knit, play with the kids. we go to the park at least weekly, sometimes 2-3 times depending on if friends are going. we go to the library weekly. i have a garden.
but honestly, i have HOURS everyday with not much to do. i mean i even make breakfast (like eggs and toast, pancakes, omelets, etc) and make lunch. i do the dishes and god... everything.
my kids are 16 (she goes to high school) ds#1 12, ds#2 9, ds#3 6, ds#4 3 and i am pregnant with #6 due in jan.
dh is helpful, we get along good 90% of the time. he works from 7am to about 5pm 5 days a week. we do stuff together as a family on the weekends.
i don't know. i have been toying with the idea of going back to school for something... but with a new baby coming that might make it difficult. i have been thinking i might go back to work once a week, but like i said it is at night and once a week.
i am not unhappy or depressed or mad or anything. i feel good mentally and physically i am just sorta bored.
h
Need a challenge huh? As if 5 kids weren't enough? Wow, I feel so lazy now. I only have one kiddo and I never get bored. And..all that weekly stuff you do, never gets done on a regular basis. Kudos!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#21 of 22 Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

LOL i think it is because i have been doing it for so long. over 16 years now. i love it. but some days... man just sorta bored to tears.
i am really looking into an on-line class because i feel like i need something else... something to stimulate my mind a bit. i read alot of stuff that really interest me, but i can't do much with it. i think maybe presuing something that maybe has a degree at the end will help. i am in no big rush, but i would be nice to start.

h

#22 of 22 Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We homeschool also and I work part-time as a doula.

Right now, I'm working on getting certified as a BirthWorks Childbirth Educator. It gives me something to study (BirthWorks has you learning a lot!) in our "free time."

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page