How do you deal with low-motivation days? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 11-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotmama View Post
what about those who have art hobbies???

i used to draw comics in my free time. got a one shot published in a magazine while i was pregnant even, and i've been meaning to put my animation school skills to some use! but everytime i bust out the utensils i fear DD will poke her own eye or something when i have my face down in the paper! ack!

and i only have DD at the moment! what more when there is another (and possibly another)!? haha! i always wonder about that.
I wasn't able to start painting again until my youngest started going to a mom's time out program for 3 hour stretches. There was no way I could do it with her home. I'm thinking I'll have to set it aside when the new one comes along...

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#32 of 50 Old 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Count me in the 'no time to clean & certainly no time for hobbies' club. I sure would love to start painting & sculpture again but first I need to paint some walls & put in floors in my house Whenever I hear that people manage to clean their whole house before going to bed, I feel like I'm doing something majorly wrong, we're lucky if DS's face is clean before he goes to sleep, that's about as far as I get with the cleaning!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#33 of 50 Old 11-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justduckyangie View Post
I wasn't able to start painting again until my youngest started going to a mom's time out program for 3 hour stretches. There was no way I could do it with her home. I'm thinking I'll have to set it aside when the new one comes along...

I guess my hobby is writing. It's been on hold for a while. Luckily, it's something I can do without worrying that my son will get into my materials. I would like to learn to knit and sew. I'm not sure how small children would impact those hobbies, though, but I know a lot of moms with littles manage to do them. I think making time for myself is important, and my DH has no problem entertaining DS if I want to write in another room or go to a coffee shop for an hour or two. I come back refreshed and recharged.

How about doing hobbies when your little one naps? I know, for instance, that I can fold laundry or wash dishes while my DS plays nearby on the floor, or that when I start dinner, I can put him in his high chair (near the cooking area) with books or an interesting toy and he'll play contentedly for a little while. I talk to him about what I'm doing and sing little songs to him at this time. I try to use his naps to accomplish tasks I can't do with him present. Hobbies might be something I'd fit into that time. It's just a thought. Hobbies are so very important. It's hard thing balance sometimes.
#34 of 50 Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 AM

Hard sometimes, you can get into a funk too. Like the other advise, take a shower and get out the door. I tend to clean house the most during the morning hours, knowing I am leaving the house for a while motivates me to get as much done as I can before I leave. My problem is doing the rest when I get home in terms of the paperwork stuff of the house, bills, processing forms etc. I hate doing them so they sit, and sit...
#35 of 50 Old 11-11-2010, 06:22 PM

Oooph!  I've had more days like this than I'd care to admit.  Yesterday was one of them.  If I have too many like that in a short amount of time then I start to feel depressed.  But we've been busy recently and I've had no lazy days, so I just relished yesterday.  I didn't take my PJs off until I had to go pick DD1 up at 5pm.  I managed to feed DD2 and me lunch, but that was about it.

My tactic is to wallow in the laziness when it hits so that I get my fill.  I wake the next day so annoyed with how I wasted the previous day that I'm motivated to get stuff done. 

Also, if I'm being lazy, sometimes it helps to give myself a check list of 3-5 things (no more!)  And say if I get these 3-5 measily little tasks done then I can do nothing for the rest of the day.  At least then I get SOMETHING done and it often starts my engines so I end up being productive all day after all.

#36 of 50 Old 11-12-2010, 06:04 AM

Last night I was so tired and blah.  I went to bed at 7:00 pm. 

I fed everyone cereal and left everything undone.  I feel great this morning.   I need to do that more often. 

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#37 of 50 Old 11-14-2010, 04:32 PM

Oh, Mama, no wonder you are stressed out. You definitely have your hands full.... I have two kids, a 4 year old and a 15 month old.  Here's what I do to keep from feeling overwhelmed daily:

1) a good baby carrier is essential for my survival.  I have a Connecta and I love it. I could pop my baby in, nurse, keep baby close, and still sweep the floors, wipe down the counters, etc.  I could also parent my older one while still meeting the needs of my younger one. 

2) Crockpots are wonderful... throw in the ingredients in the am when everyone is in a good mood, and a healthy dinner is ready later.  Almost no work with wonderful returns.  I also inherited a bread machine, so I can also make fresh homemade bread to go with a soup for dinner.  It's impressive, and only takes a few minutes in the am.

3)Wash the dishes after every meal.  Don't let them pile up.  Ever.  That is so overwhelming.

4)  We set bedtime waayyyy earlier in the evening than we used to.  Bedtime is at 8:30.  For all of us (well, me and my babies, my DH stays up later to watch TV). It's amazing how much more we get done when we are well rested.

5) Motivated Moms checklist http://www.motivatedmoms.com/products.html  It's a checklist for cleaning, and it's great.  I have my routines down pretty well now, and checking things off the list keep me motivated to keep going.  I don't get it all done most days, but every little bit helps!  Also, DH has been known to check the list and check of something here or there........ 

That said, if I have a lazy day, I give into it.  And then go to bed extra early that night, get up extra early the next am to start conquering the world. 

~maddymama

#38 of 50 Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 AM

I have cycles where I need to be superwoman and clean everything insight and cook crazy amounts, and then I'll have a week or two where I just feel like playing on the floor with dd and doing lot's of reading. I've found that as long as there is food for dh when he gets home from work, and things are generally 'tidy' when he gets home( around 11:30 pm), then I don't feel bad. I have fibromyalgia though so I think I give myself a bit more slack when I have flare ups. I've found that dancing to some good music, doing a little living room yoga, and taking a few moments to meditate while dd naps help me to get out of the real bad lazy funks. I also think taking a shower right when I wake up helps. It can get bad in the winter though. Something about winter just really makes me want to hibernate and never get out of my pj's, lol.

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

#39 of 50 Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 AM

I don't know if I have high-motivation days! redface.gif  Sometimes I get a lot done-but lately what you said you do sounds like climbing a mountain.  I consider the day a success if:

1. The kids are alive and not beating each other when dh gets home

2. We don't eat out for dinner

3. I've showered in the last 24 hours

4. The dishwasher is loaded

Anything beyond that is absolutely amazing.  

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#40 of 50 Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 AM

ROTFLMAO.gif I love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

I consider the day a success if:

1. The kids are alive and not beating each other when dh gets home

2. We don't eat out for dinner

3. I've showered in the last 24 hours

4. The dishwasher is loaded

Anything beyond that is absolutely amazing.  

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#41 of 50 Old 11-28-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmommy View Post

I sit on my butt. Sometimes I look at my list and see if anything really has to be done. Some days that gets me going again. Some days it doesn't. I figure there is always another day. If I push myself when I'm just not feeling it I just end up in a bad mood.

yeahthat.gif

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#42 of 50 Old 11-29-2010, 07:25 AM

Get dressed and put on some makeup, fix your hair.  Put baby in some cute outfit.  Get out of the house!!!!  If you're not going to do any of the stuff you "need to do" then it doesn't matter anyway.  Go shopping, visit friends, go to the park, whatever.  I find that making getting dressed and makeup part of the early routine has a big impact on my productivity and mood.  We also clean up the house right after breakfast so we're not just lounging around in our filth, it's motivating.

#43 of 50 Old 12-02-2010, 02:23 PM

I have WAY too many lazy days honestly. It's my worst quality I would say. I'm working on it but pregnancy really brought it out even more with being sick and fatigued. 

I find getting dressed really does help as well as putting my hair up. But, I still suck right now. I'm trying to get on the ball cuz I need to get this house cleaned. I'll be lurking to see if anyone comes up with anything else. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#44 of 50 Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 PM

I also give in if I'm not feeling very motivated, although I do like a lot of suggestions on this thread. smile.gif

#45 of 50 Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 PM

I feel life can be a challenge at times. Times when I/we wish we can go back in time, do things over.

#46 of 50 Old 12-03-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekatherina View Post

usually if I stay in PJ and do nothing it only gets me more depressed, therefore i put some rules not to get into such days:
-never leave the house messy in the evening; waking up in the morning into a messy house makes me want not to do anything.
-start the day with music to dress up and breakfast
-leave the house for a walk with the kids before doing anything!

if I do fall on such days for some reason I MAKE myself into cleaning and I do feel much better after I see the house clean, kids schooled and meal prepared!

Apart from the first comes walk, pretty much it!

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#47 of 50 Old 12-05-2010, 02:32 PM

I agree that sometimes you just need to have a day (or more) of rest. Somedays I really need to get stuff done and on occasion what needs to get done is one of my projects.

Here are some things that help me

Turn up light and or heat

if it is cold and dark I just want to curl up and go back to bed. My dining room is the main pass through of my house and it has one window that faces north on to a porch. If I don't turn those lights on the whole house feels dark. 

I agree about using a timer and putting on shoes. Thanks Flylady. I have foot problems and need to have shoes on if I'm going to do anything with confidence. 

Bouncy music

The current favorite is the Best of the GoGos. 

Small goals

If I straighten the sofa the living room looks almost normal from the front door. 

-----------

For years I had wonky cycles but for the past few years they've become more regular. This seems to have lead to more PMS symptoms and most of my low-motivation days tend to be in the pre-menstral phase. I know that mid-cycle I'll be much more ambitious and as long as I don't make big promises to others then everything will even out in a month. I just need to remind myself that my highly effective days are no more the norm than the ones where I sit on my butt. 

#48 of 50 Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Music!  Make the bed!  Promise us an outing if we get our chores done.

And some days we just give in and stay in bed all day reading books.

But making the bed really does get me going for some reason.  It's like a commitment.

#49 of 50 Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 PM

I am one of those people who feels "lazy" if I don't create something, go for a walk, clean constantly, prepare food, bla bla bla...

There are a million zillion things to do in a day!

if its all getting piled up, you haven't been outside in a couple days and you are feeling sad on top of it, one should make sure they are not falling into a depression of sorts.

BUT.

If you are like me and just feeling lazy cuz you are at home and probably should be doing something,  we should just relaaaax.  

we have an exhausting and under-appreciated job.   its also a job that is never finished - it is a process!  

anyhooo, if there's a job I need to get done, step one is shutting off the internet. step two is putting on music! oh, someone said get out of the house and I agree! a small little walk does wonders!

Momma to little Atlin Feb2010dust.gif2nd on its way

#50 of 50 Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 AM

Great question! I set a time for myself for us to be out of the house and at the gym -- I've found that if I exercise, the rest of the day goes much more smoothly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page