Outfits for family photos - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What have you all worn for formal photos. What shows up best. I have a friends photo and they all wore black, they look like going to a funeral.
#2 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 AM

We just got our photos done and we all wore jeans and white shirts. They looked GREAT on the white and blue backgrounds. It was our first outfit coordinating photos, lol.

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

#3 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Agree with the white shirts and denim. Also like white shirts and khakis.

Not only does it take the focus away from the clothes and keeps it on the people but it is timeless. No looking back in 10 years and saying what were we thinking, LOL! (unless of course it was the 80's where your hair would give you away )

And it also works great if you want a few black and white shots too since the image stays true.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#4 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 11:16 AM

we just had ours done at The Picture People. DH wore black cords with a red and black sweater and a white shirt and black tie underneath, I wore black jeans with a red and white sweater and a red/white/black plaid shirt underneath, DS wore a red and black vest with a white turtleneck and black cords, and my DD wore a red white and black plaid dress, we all coordinated and we had them taken on a white background and a black background and both of them looked very nice.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#5 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM

i'm not sure I'm crazy about the matchy matchy everyone wearing the same thing, but I like coordinated pics for sure with everyone in the same color family/type of clothing. I like neutrals like black, white, brown, and gray with maybe a small piece of the same accent color on each person.

I do have the white shirt/denim/barefoot pic of each kid when they were toddlers (including one of me very preggo with DD in a white shirt with jeans standing with DS in a white shirt and jeans and barefoot), and have to disagree that it won't look back and think, 'what was I thinking?', because everyone does it so much now it's so clearly a 2000s thing to do and it feels kind of cliche to me at this point.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#6 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
i'm not sure I'm crazy about the matchy matchy everyone wearing the same thing, but I like coordinated pics for sure with everyone in the same color family/type of clothing. I like neutrals like black, white, brown, and gray with maybe a small piece of the same accent color on each person.

I do have the white shirt/denim/barefoot pic of each kid when they were toddlers (including one of me very preggo with DD in a white shirt with jeans standing with DS in a white shirt and jeans and barefoot), and have to disagree that it won't look back and think, 'what was I thinking?', because everyone does it so much now it's so clearly a 2000s thing to do and it feels kind of cliche to me at this point.

thats funny because I am closer to 50 then I am to 40 and we have family shots of us in white shirts and khakis. It must have been 1976/78 maybe? The girls had khaki skirts and the boys kkaki pants. Of course the white shirts had really wide collars but if you don't look too close you can't tell!

#7 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post
thats funny because I am closer to 50 then I am to 40 and we have family shots of us in white shirts and khakis. It must have been 1976/78 maybe? The girls had khaki skirts and the boys kkaki pants. Of course the white shirts had really wide collars but if you don't look too close you can't tell!
How funny! I'm closer to 40 than 20 (37) , and don't remember seeing this trend until the last decade really...maybe you guys were just trendsetters!! All my pictures from the late '70s involve burnt orange and velvet. And Dorothy Hamil haircuts.

#8 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
How funny! I'm closer to 40 than 20 (37) , and don't remember seeing this trend until the last decade really...maybe you guys were just trendsetters!! All my pictures from the late '70s involve burnt orange and velvet. And Dorothy Hamil haircuts.

I had Doroth Hamil! and I always used "Gee...You Hair Smells Terrific" or "Flex" shampoo! Someone told me that Vermont Country store carries all the old shampoos and I keep forgetting to go an check. Now that brings back memories!

#9 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 12:39 PM

OMG, I LOVED Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific too!! Vermont Country Store, you say?

#10 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 12:53 PM

found it!! Hope the link works!

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/p...xxxxxxxxRBBCAT

#11 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 PM

OMG they have "Body on Tap" and "lemon Up" too!

#12 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM

A friend of mine just had family pictures done where all the boys wore black slacks and jackets with a shirt shirt and tie (except her youngest, who is only 2- he wore black pants and a red turtleneck). The girls all wore matching red skirts with black shirts. The DH wore black pants with a white button up shirt. The mom wore a black and white dress with some awesome red boots. The picture looks great!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#13 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post
OMG they have "Body on Tap" and "lemon Up" too!
And Mink hairspray!!

#14 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 02:45 PM

and Lanz nightgowns! What I would give for one of my old ones! so soft and cozy....

Of course my husband thinks my current jammies (yoga pants and a tee shirt) aren't enticing. Imgaine the thrill of seeing me in a Lanz!

#15 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Ha!

#16 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I want to do the white shirts and denim photos for us next year after the baby gets here so we can get some nice black and white photos done too. Our family photos usually have a main color that we all wear something with. It depends on the background we're using what our colors are though. Luckily I made really good friends with our photographer and so I get to browse the backgrounds and set ups before we ever go then we're ready!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#17 of 30 Old 11-04-2010, 07:10 PM

a photographer friend of mine said "matchy" is out!!! We last had pics done in Dec 2004 and wore jeans, and dark blue shirts. White background. We looked great!!

We're getting another set done now (that my dd is almost 5 lol)...and we're corrdinating, but not matching.

I'm going to find a cute dress for my daughter, with multiple colors, and then find one of the colors for the rest of us to wear.

So coordinate, but don't go matchy

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#18 of 30 Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Matchy may be totally out but it is SUCH an addiction for me. In fact, I prefer that we coordinate if we're going to a function (not MATCH, just all wear something that identifies us as together--like all of us wearing something with the same color even if it's different shades).

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#19 of 30 Old 11-05-2010, 01:26 AM

doesn't mean it's bad if you still go matchy : I still see plenty of great, cute pics that the families are all matchy

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#20 of 30 Old 11-05-2010, 01:40 AM

I think coordinating looks better than matching. Plus it's a lot easier to find clothes that coordinate rather than match. We just took photos and DS wore a green tee, I wore a striped tee that was grey and green, DH wore a grey tee, and we all wore jeans.

joy.giflurk.gif

#21 of 30 Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
Matchy may be totally out but it is SUCH an addiction for me. In fact, I prefer that we coordinate if we're going to a function (not MATCH, just all wear something that identifies us as together--like all of us wearing something with the same color even if it's different shades).

But you're talking about coordinating, not matching....

#22 of 30 Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just try not to end up here

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#23 of 30 Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM

we have done the jeans and white shirts and coordinating thing in the last few years. I think both look good. When we didn't coordinate there was just too much going on and it seemed like you lost people in the picture. Our most recent "big Family"picture we assigned color groups to each family segment using earth tones as a base. Think Greens, burnt oranges and tans. It looked great.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#24 of 30 Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 AM

We are doing family pictures but not in a studio (we have a tripod and a remote.. pictures in studios just cost way to much). Im making the girls matching dresses (yea, I know Im bad but they both love the fabric and pattern so it works) and Im wearing a dress in a similar base pattern but different fabric. They are doubling as Christmas pictures so the dresses will double for our Christmas dresses this year.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#25 of 30 Old 11-07-2010, 01:45 AM

I don't really care for matching, personally. I don't want everyone in solid black/blue/white/etc. I like coordinating or complimentary color schemes but nothing too loud. For our family pictures, I wore a brown turtle neck, DH wore a light purple dress shirt, and our daughter wore a dark purple jacket over a white shirt and we all wore jeans. So they all "go" together but aren't the exact same outfit, kwim? I also think it looks nice when a family does varying shades of a color - usually green or blue - some navy, some light blue, some in-between etc.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#26 of 30 Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 AM

We're going to do something different and do a family pic in matching red plaid jammies and bare feet!  They just came in yesterday.  Crazy 8 had them on sale for $8/pair.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#27 of 30 Old 11-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post

But you're talking about coordinating, not matching....

Actually, I do both.  This year's family pic we will all be wearing Hanna Anderssen's "Snow & Mistletoe" stuff.  But when we go to a function, we just coordinate (if we can--I rarely go out shopping for stuff JUST to coordinate for a function.  I'm more likely to wear whatever we have that coordinates, though)

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#28 of 30 Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 PM

My favorite family pic is one where myself, DH an DD wore black shirts and the two little boys wore hot pink polos. We wore white or khaki bottoms. We used a white background and the pics look great! 

#29 of 30 Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM

We do coordinating, but not matching.  I just had pics of the kids done, DD1 wore a red shirt and a red skirt.  DD2 wore a red sweater, a black skirt and black/red snowflake tights. DS wore khaki pants, a red turtleneck with a gray vest.   I took the kids myself and wasn't intending to be in the photo, but I ended up being in one anyway since the 2-yo would not pose without sitting on my lap.  I wore a gray sweater and black pants (not intending to be in the photo), but it turned out really well.

I think one problem with matchy stuff is that it's pretty hard for the exact same (or similar) outfit to look good on different people...who all have slightly different skin tones, different shapes, etc.    I also think if the focus is on matching outfits, then there will be less focus on making sure that each member is wearing clothes that look good or are flattering with their skin tone, hair color, and body shape.

Even my kids, while they look cute in anything, they definitely look cuter in certain colors or styles or cuts of clothing.  When we coordinate, we make sure everyone goes together (same general colors), while still making sure each individual is wearing clothes that suit their particular skin/hair color and body type.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#30 of 30 Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 PM

We had family pics done last summer and I totally obsessed over the attire. I think what I came up with worked out really well, if I do say so myself! I went for coordinating, rather than matching, using an earth-toned palette of mostly blue and brown. Here's what we wore:

Family

Kids

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page