SAHM's if you could have a day or even an afternoon WWYD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok ladies, Feeling a bit stir crazy today. DH has been working 4 days on (doesn't come home) and 3 days off for the last month. Today (this was planned) he has been gone since about 9 am, it's 7pm now and I am feeling completely stir crazy. I have no problem with hubby hanging out with his friends but holy cow I have been stuck in the house with my kids ALL DAY and they are just as stir crazy as I am. The only time I get to myself is a couple hours in the morning when DD #2 is in school. Or if I manage to schedule an OB apt while he is off work so I don't have to take her with me.

I need some idea's for things I can do when I get a chance to get out of the house without kids? I am thinking I am going to take a day to myself next weekend just because. Heres the catch though, I don't have alot of friends. 2 be exact, don't do spa like stuff and don't like hanging out at malls.

Any idea's? short of driving to a deserted parking lot and reading an adult level book while listening to grown up music.
#2 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 AM

Go to a cafe with a book. Drink frivolous, frothy drinks. Stay all day.
potatofairy likes this.
#3 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 12:40 AM

well... in a dream world, I'd spend a day at the spa getting the works... but in the REAL world that would require getting a credit card because I certainly don't have the cash!

I like the read all day in a cafe idea. I'd also like to just go for a drive. alone. with no screaming and yelling. oooh! I'd love to go to a movie! I haven't been in AGES. I'd even settle for ONE little thing at a spa... like a simple pedicure. Can I have everyone leave the house so I have it to myself rather than go out? I'd love to just take a nap...
#4 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd go hiking, rollerblading, or (in winter) cross-country skiing. Or maybe see a movie, browse in a bookstore, shop for things I need at places that bore the kids, or shop for Christmas/birthday presents for the kids. Hanging out at a cafe for a while with a book would be nice, too.
#5 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 AM

If either of your friends would be willing, going on a walk, bike ride etc. at a local park is fun. We've been doing short fun 1mi. bike rides and it's just right to get out and clear your head. Also, I've been able to get out a couple times a month and go horseback riding with a friend and that has been a lot of fun.

One thing I like too is going out to a restaurant and ordering a ridiculously decadent dessert, which I normally skip when I have the kids with me.
#6 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM

ITA with the book idea. We don't have a cafe like there where I live, so I remember once I went and bought a book and sat in my car in the parking lot and read for 2 hours.

I also like the movie idea. I LOVE going to movies alone. I don't have to share my popcorn or listen to my dh's snarky comments (especially if we go to a "chick flick").

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#7 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 12:02 PM

If I had a whole day
I'd do a little shopping
Then take myself to lunch
Then a movie (haven't been in years)
And then I would go to a Coffee shop and sit and knit
Posted via Mobile Device
Juvysen likes this.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#8 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 12:03 PM

I'd enjoy a meal at a restaurant that my kids would hate (invite a friend or bring a book), or I'd go to a movie.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#9 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 12:09 PM

I'd clean my entire house from top to bottom. It's hard to really get done with 2 little guys roaming around and feeling icky and pregnant.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#10 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

I'd go shopping for some new jeans, after buying them I'd go to a bakery and have coffee and a big piece of chocolate cake or something else indulgent. Then I'd get a mani-pedi.

Then I'd take a long nap.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#11 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 12:20 PM

I need to schedule in 'me time' or it just won't happen.

What I do is go to the theatre and watch a movie (I love watching them by myself)
Then head over to the local large thrift store (I love thrift store shopping but find it impossible to find anything when kids are in tow, so this way I can actually enjoy myself)
Go to the beach (for a walk or just sit down and read or write) Or bring some music too.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#12 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 12:27 PM

I love this thread! It just so happens that today I DO get an afternoon to myself! My kids' dad is taking them for 6 hours today. They see him often, but we are good friends so usually we do things together with the kids, like go to breakfast and take them to play while we drink coffee and talk.

SO when he takes them today, I'm going to take a book to the coffee shop for a few hours or maybe go to the bookstore and sit in their cafe surrounded by a pile of wonderful books. Then I'm going to eat Vietnamese food and go to the movies with my fiance.

I can't wait to unload the kids today. :P They've been bickering and hanging on me all morning and I'm so ready to have my own space. It's the perfect day to send them off!

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#13 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 PM

I'm never quite sure what to do either!!

Last week I took my laptop to Panera & just relaxed for an hour... but it's funny how I can spend all day on the laptop at home & never finish even writing an email, but when I'm out alone uninterrupted, I'm bored with the computer after 40 minutes!

I would love to go to the library alone, just read & browse books...

Go for a walk...

If you can send the kids out, have a day at home to yourself -- take a hot bath, do some crafts, order in your favorite food...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 PM

Drink heavily.

I actually couldn't because I have two little babies, one nursing, and can't let myself get to the point of not being aware / able to drive...

But after spending the past two hours trying to get said two babies to sleep while they are waking each other up...

man. wish I could.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#15 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 11:16 PM

Sleep. Or just lay in bed. I have a 9 month old that does not STTN and it's killing me!
Out of the house, I'd go to a nice lunch and get a pedicure.
#16 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 PM

Umm can I kick them out of the house and sew all day? That would be a great thing, I am so backlogged with things I need to get done before the baby comes..

If I had to go out then:
Go to a restruant and actually enjoy my meal. Eat the whole thing as slow as possible while maybe reading a book at the same time. I haven't eaten at a restruant without rushing it in years.
Go to the beach and just read or knit.. I use to love sitting watching the waves and writing but now when I go Im chasing the kids around.
Go to a museum and enjoy the art work/exhibits without constantly reminding the girls not to touch/climb/yell/run etc.
Go to the library and look at the adult books, bypassing the kid's section.
Get a pedicure.

Of course after 3-4 hours I would feel bad about being away and end up going home.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#17 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 11:21 PM

-Hit the gym for a yoga class and some working out
-Hit the stores for some retail therapy
-Sit by the lake reading
-And then, I'm not sure what else...I never get that far. :

I do get 2 hours a day twice a week to attend martial arts classes kid free though.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#18 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 AM

Do you have a barnes and noble near your house? I could spend all day there. I would love to just go, hang out, read and drink coffee all day. I'd love to do a spa day, but that would require money, which we don't have much of right now smile.gif That or do you have a craft you like to do? I make jewelry, but that's hard to take with you somewhere. Knitting on the otherhand is super easy to take with you and craft while you're out.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#19 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 07:47 AM

Yesterday I went to the bagel shop and read the silly ritzy local women's magazine and guffawed at the holiday monogramming etiquette guide! HAHAHAH!! Then I went to the fabric store and fondled, and I do mean straight up fondled the bolts of fabric, flipped through pattern books, and wrote a few quilt how-tos on the backs of receipts, knowing I'll probably never make them. GREAT day!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#20 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 AM

i also would so spa day if i had the funds and the time to be gone for more than a few hours.

today i would probably say, get rid of them for a day so i could deep clean/sort stuff. stuff that is hard to do with little ones around!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#21 of 23 Old 11-14-2010, 08:44 AM

I would go for a long run, then take a long shower, then read a good book!

#22 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 PM

i like the barnes and noble idea ..

im in CA so this doesnt work for you, but if i had the day to myself, i would spend a few hours at disneyland window shopping on main st, then check into one of the nearby hotels, knit, go on the internet, attempt to do some yoga, drink coffee without worrying about spilling it on a child lol, i would finally go get a pedicure ...

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#23 of 23 Old 11-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

Go to a cafe with a book. Drink frivolous, frothy drinks. Stay all day.

This is what I do. Aaaahhhhhh, it's wonderful. Sometimes I go buy myself a little something to celebrate a day off. A book or a scarf or something, usually a book. It hasn't happened since I went back to work, but I plan to cut my hours to about 10 a month in January. And will definitely get in a Mama day bouncy.gif

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page